Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor Palette Talk Who will replace our watercolor heroes ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Many of our watercolor heroes are now in their 80s such as John Yardley, Trevor Chamberlain, Robert Wade, and Charles Reid. Others in their 70s, but still very active, include David Taylor, Malcolm Beattie, and John Hoar. Even Joseph Zbukvic, Alvaro Castagnet, and Tom Lynch and now in their 60s.

Who do you think among the younger watercolor artists will rise above the crowd and also contribute a lasting legacy? Only time will tell, but I do wonder. Two very talented artists I have recently become aware of are Jem Bowden and Prafull Sawant.

I could say:

Olga Litvinenko, Cindy Baron, Lian Quan Zhen, José Gietka, Corneliu Dragan, Masto Watanabe…

Maria - Made in Portugal
    "Really I don't like human nature unless all candied over with art" - Virginia Woolf

https://womenwagepeace.org.il/en/

oldmink

Many of our watercolor heroes are now in their 80s such as John Yardley, Trevor Chamberlain, Robert Wade, and Charles Reid. Others in their 70s, but still very active, include David Taylor, Malcolm Beattie, and John Hoar. Even Joseph Zbukvic, Alvaro Castagnet, and Tom Lynch and now in their 60s.

The folks you mentioned replaced Edgar Whitney, Claude Croney, Eliot O’Hara and Barse Miller.

Others will come along and take their places at the head of the pack. It’s just the way of things.

You can preview some up and comers over on You Tube.

Glenn Koons

Marvin Chew, Ona Kingdon, Birgett O’Connor, Carol Carter…

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

juneto

We have tons of New Famous artists from around the world .Google Them to see .
            U will be so surprised .
            June:wave: :wave: :cat:

Follow your Bliss and the Universe will open doors for you , where there were only walls. Joseph Campbell

http://blogmomcom.blogspot.com/

briantmeyer

Starting to see a lot by Ewa Ludwiczak, a figurative artist who lets watercolors be watercolors.

My thought is those who attain fame, will be those in the forums here with us, who persevere and keep working on their craft long enough

A lot of the artists I know personally, who really had mastered their craft, said they used to frequent these forums. And often you see that artists rise in a group, Castagnet, Pekel and Zbukvic for example, this is because I think they have a shared exploration which lets them uncover a new language in art. To me seeing what others are doing, and learning from them as I share what I learn, this creates fertile ground for success.

The art world is international, it’s just not local, it knows no borders, and it’s the internet which lets us connect with and be inspired by so many more things at the same time than any other generation of artists before. More will be noticed, it is just a matter of time.

For me it doesn’t really matter who they will be.
                The matter is that the current watercolour heroes are between 60-80 y.o something that shows that the art world doesn’t give to younger generation artists the opportunities to show their talent when they are still young and in their most productive ages.
                If internet wasn’t available we wouldn’t even heard of all these talented people that you referred here, because the art market and the art world operates in a completely different level from the artists themselves.
                That is the matter. Not who will replace watercolor heroes but why it is so difficult for artists to become better known outside internet.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply to my post. So many talented artists out there. I will check out the names you provided.

Cheers,
                Joe

Pesto126

The word “hero” is bantered around too much in modern day… prefer to say “watercolor artists who inspire you”….

I actually agree you you, Pesto126.

I thought that it was only in France (where they call heroes football players who win important championships, for which they are obscenely payed!!!!),but it is sad to see elsewhere is happening too.

Maria - Made in Portugal
                    "Really I don't like human nature unless all candied over with art" - Virginia Woolf

https://womenwagepeace.org.il/en/

Check out Szczepan Urbanowicz. He is a friend of mine that has veryy quickly become master watercolourist. He is very humble.

Look HERE[/URL] for his architectural Illustrations

Look HERE for his watercolours. Most of his work is plein air, in fact if yo have been following my adventures you will recognise some places.
                    Click on the first image on the left and you will see a gallery of his latest work. Some of his work is from a recent trip to Europe..

He is a man I admire, and he is going to be bigger than big. He has a good heart, and a beautiful family..

JJ
                    Let go of past mistakes and hurts. Forgive and empower yourself. Live the life you were meant to live. And, be at peace with yourself.
                    MY BLOG
                    My Youtube videos

Auj

Soya Markova, Maria Raczynska and Janine Gallizia.
                        Notice I have all women on my list.

I will also mention one of my special heroes even though he has passed on.
                        His art is readily available to view and he has online tutorials as well.
                        Nicholas Simmons. Such a generous guy and many people remember him and appreciated the help he gave them. I miss him and hope he has found peace.

Auj

I also want to mention Chien Chung Wei and his lovely brilliant fellow artist wife Jasmine Hwang. I think I prefer Jasmine’s work over her husband but I am crazy about them both.
                            So there are so many artist heroes out there and new ones waiting to be appreciated. I always enjoy finding artists that I have not heard of before and being excited to see their work.

MLHarvey

As Paul Simon sung, “every generation throws a hero up the pop charts.”
                                Taste is subjective and visual art the most subjective (and contentious) of all the arts. Being in the art world for more than 45 years, I’d say the ‘who’ can’t be known until history dubs them master (even then, separating the business of art from actual talent or skill gets you further down that rabbit hole.) Rather than focus on the ‘who’, it’s more important is to find what personally inspires you, to get you to the easel to continue your own journey.
                                When I’m feeling lost or lazy, I always go back to a handful of long dead classics that never fail to inspire me and inspire me quickly (this too, can include flipping through past sketchbooks.) What inspires will be different for everyone. So I’d say look at everything/everyone by all means, but don’t overthink it. The horse that wins the race keeps his/her eye directly in front and doesn’t worry about the rest of the field.
                                Just my 2 cents.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.