WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#241   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2017, 07:28 AM
Immortalized
Virginia, US

Hails from Norway
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns....Come and Chat..March 20!7!!!!

Mark, Harriet Backer - not Barber. Norwegian artist who was quite successful. I think you included her Blue Interior in one of your posts recently?
  #242   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2017, 11:07 AM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Ahh Toril sorry my bad, I misread it.

I'm sure I have included both Harriets in the lovelies at some point
  #243   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2017, 11:17 AM
A Local Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Especially Toril, sounds like you are your usually busy, self. Good luck with the fund raiser and gallery night. Between that and choir, you must be getting a nice circle of new friends.

Annie, Pearl's suitor is just adorable, does he visit often?

Yesterday was pretty exhausting. The house in question that we helped clear belongs to the late husband of a friend of a friend. It was mostly just full of tools, so my boyfriend was in heaven! We borrowed another small truck from a friend, and he scored a bandsaw, drill press, some other kind of saw, an air compressor, and a little Honda generator. Not sure of the genny, but everything else works, just needs some maintenance. The gent made little iron and tile tables, so I got about a dozen of them (and may get more), for plant stands and a future yard sale. The rest was loads and loads of tools, the majority of which are old American made. Did I mention a future yard sale?

Once bf sorts out what he wants, I will get together with a friend, and sell off the rest, the next time she has one of her sales.

This morning we have to unload it all and return the borrowed truck.

And I need to finish a painting to the point where I can take a photo of it to submit for the art tour. The deadline is the 31st.
  #244   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2017, 01:14 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Nancy, Becca and Marcia, re: the black cat, coincidentally, I was reading a book on cat behavior last night, Starting From Scratch (fascinating book, btw), and it turns out that odd expression on his face is called the flehmen reaction. It's a way to pull air into the mouth where it hits an organ unique to cats, the purpose of which is to provide more scent information:
Quote:
Cats use this organ when they feel that any interesting or unfamiliar scent requires further analysis. You can tell when your cat is using his vomeronasal organ because his facial expression will almost resemble a grimace with mouth slightly open. This is called the flehmen reaction.
So I surprised him in the process of*checking Pearl out! It was only the one time that I saw him, but that doesn't mean he hasn't visited on other occasions.

Toril, congrats on the event. Don't work too hard.

Becca, It's lovely that you were able to see it from there! it sounds like the view in your new(ish) place has it's advantages then.

Marcia, I think antique tools are very, very popular right now. So make sure to check out prices before selling them. I wonder if ebay might bring you more money, or perhaps there are sites dealing specifically with antique tools online. Or, maybe there are antique stores in LA or even Palm Springs where you could find a lot of interest. A yard sale in your fairly (as I understand it) off-the-beaten-path location might not catch the attention of the deep pocket buyers interested in that kind of item. Also, FYI, I know that with antique furniture, cleaning it up can actually lower the value. Best wishes in getting the painting done.

I was able to get a lot accomplished yesterday, but sadly, no painting.

Somewhere within all of us there is a wordless center, a part of us...that has remained unchanged since we were children. It is the source of our strength and compassion. That faint confluence of the tangible and the spiritual is where Art comes from.
~Richard Schmid

Last edited by AnnieA : 03-26-2017 at 01:21 PM.
  #245   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-26-2017, 10:43 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Nice to hear from you, Toril! I agree with Marcia that you're finding a lot of friends there, and that's wonderful.

We went to Cattleman's today for dinner. I had some very good fish and Himself (being a died in the wool Texan) had to have beef, of course. But their salad is the best I've tasted since my mother used to make it.

Glad I went today, because I see the cardiologist tomorrow, and he'll probably set me up for the surgery. Which I don't look forward to, in spite of knowing that after the recovery, my life will get easier.

Annie, that is so interesting about the cat! I have books on both cats and dogs, but I've never run across a book like that one.

Marcia, that sounds like a fantastic haul, even tho you're tired. Both you and BF have profited nicely from your work!

Last edited by NancyMP : 03-26-2017 at 10:46 PM.
  #246   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2017, 01:03 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyMP
We went to Cattleman's today for dinner. I had some very good fish and Himself (being a died in the wool Texan) had to have beef, of course. But their salad is the best I've tasted since my mother used to make it.

Glad I went today, because I see the cardiologist tomorrow, and he'll probably set me up for the surgery. Which I don't look forward to, in spite of knowing that after the recovery, my life will get easier.

Annie, that is so interesting about the cat! I have books on both cats and dogs, but I've never run across a book like that one.
You mention Cattleman's a lot, Nancy. It must be really good.

Best wishes at the cardiologist tomorrow, Nancy. You're right that your life will get easier, and the only way that can happen is by moving forward, however undesirable that may seem. I guess you probably already know that...

Starting from Scratch is a great book that's available from Amazon. It offers a lot of info about what different cat behaviors mean. Did you know that when a cat rubs his/her flanks against your ankles that it's a sign of deference? I think you'd really like it, Nancy. If you're interested, there's also a Kindle version. I used to read ebooks primarily with my library's application, but the Kindle app I got recently is sooo much better. It's free, although the books aren't, except the ones I check out through the library.

Somewhere within all of us there is a wordless center, a part of us...that has remained unchanged since we were children. It is the source of our strength and compassion. That faint confluence of the tangible and the spiritual is where Art comes from.
~Richard Schmid

#247   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2017, 03:08 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Nancy, no one ever looks forward to surgery if they are in their right mind...but you are right, it will be worth it to feel better...good luck.

Annie, interesting cat news.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #248   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2017, 11:23 AM
A Local Legend

:wave!!!: Good Morning Oilycats

Good luck at the cardiologist's today, Nancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
Did you know that when a cat rubs his/her flanks against your ankles that it's a sign of deference?..
My cats never do that, although I am not a bit surprised that they don't.

Moansday, blech.
  #249   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2017, 01:09 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Yes, Nancy, we'll be waiting for you to come back and tell us what he said.

~Richard Schmid

#250   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2017, 02:02 PM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Our lovely artists from the weekend were:

Daryl Zang

Sharon Sprung

Paul Beel

Kent Wiliams

Ken Salaz

Anders Zorn

Joshua Le Rock
  #251   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2017, 11:31 PM
A Local Legend
Utah!

Hails from United States

Yay, I can read words again!!

My glasses really were seriously overdue for a replacement, so at least it's done now! Downside is they didn't have the anti-glare lenses in and I decided I didn't want to wait a week for them, so we'll see how these are. It'll take a few days to get used to them, but it's far far better than not having glasses!
  #252   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2017, 12:06 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Mark Thank you.

Carey, you look great...!!!... .. and awesome you can see..it is important
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #253   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2017, 11:38 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Grey grey grey here and supposed to stay that way at least another month...will try to make the best of it..
Becca's Fine Art my blog