Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Partner: Virtual Art Academy How to match a shade of purple

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    b123

Here is a question posted by one of our Virtual Art Academy students, and the answer provided by another student:

Can anybody help me? I am desperately trying to mix the violet color shown in the photo. Of which colors does it consist? Thanks for your help! Sabine

——————
        Your sample is extremely saturated, I doubt that any oil paint exists that saturated. At least not to my knowledge. Violets are rather weak pigments when tinted.
        Except for Dioxazin. If it is too blueish, you could move it towards red yourself by adding red such as Quinacridone Magenta. This is the most brilliant violet you can get, that I am aware of.

An alternative could be Manganese Violet but it is weaker when tinted.

Ultramarine violet (either reddish or blueish) can be used nicely for shadows and glazing. But not so much as “stand alone” paint.

Cobalt Violet is a pretty color, but weak and too expensive in my opinion.

You could also mix your own violet using red and blue (but as Barry mentioned you have to be aware of their biases), especially by using Quinacridone Magenta PR 122 and Ultramarine Blue. But it is not as highly saturated as pure Dioxazin.

Hope this helps.
        Walter

Barry John Raybould

My Paintings, My Blog

WFMartin

I’d begin with Dioxazine Purple, PV23RS.

If that needs to be a bit more Blue to match your sample, mix a bit of Ultramarine Blue, Pb29, into it.

If that needs to be a bit more Magenta to match your sample, mix a bit of Grumbacher Thalo Red Rose, or Winsor & Newton Permanent Rose 502 into it. Each of these is PV19.

You will probably need to add White as well, since these are all transparent colors, and their colors fresh-squeezed from their tubes are quite dark, in their transparent state. A little White will go a LONG way!

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.