Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Welcome to What’s On Your Easel, August (PRT) 2016!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 142 total)
  • Author
    !becca

Welcome to WOYE July 2016…Post your works in progress here so long as they are in oils…everyone is welcome!!! :wave:

for a more complete critique post in the main forum

Becca “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
        Becca's Fine Art

[em]Reliquary for a Spider[/em], work in progress; 18 X 24 inches, oils on GessoBord. (And, of course, posting from my iPad means it’s 90 degrees off. The top of the image is actually to your left…)

Forcing the waveform to collapse for two decades...
        http://www.syntheticskystudios.com
        Hilliard Gallery, Kansas City, "Small Works", December 2019

thevaliantx

This is my second big piece, my first in oils.

punkmuppet

I finished this today.

Reliquary for a Spider. I love the name. I can’t quite figure out what it is yet, a Chinese lantern? But I can’t wait to see it finished.

Valiant, I like what you have so far.

thevaliantx

punkpuppet, thank you. I’m liking painting large much more than painting smaller pieces.

Here is some progress from this afternoon.

Coastal

punkp: Who is that? Someone famous?

George: You are gonna end up with a masterpiece!

I like what you’re working on George! Everyone is doing a great job.

Here’s a sorta-kinda abstract I have been fussing with. It’s actually pretty done. I just want to do another glazed layer for the sky, but I want to keep the rest the way it is. It’s a bit different for me. I’ll have to think of a good name. For now it’s just called “Above Valley Blvd II.” It’s 24 x 18 inches.

nikielain

This is something that a friend of mine requested. I can’t exactly remember how, but eventually our conversation turned towards how funny it would be to have a dog portrait as a Prussian General :lol:

Delofasht

Artyczar: That is an interesting style, graphic and yet almost purposefully imperfect with touches of the surreal.

Nikielain: That’s fun AND amusing, I like it! This kind of thing could be extremely popular in many crowds.

- Delo Delofasht
                                anth_knight

Nikielain, that’s the bizarrest, and funniest, thing I’ve seen today! Look forward to seeing progress :)

Like my Wheels on Canvas Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/wheelsoncanvas/

Delofasht

Going to be painting over this today, I did it awhile back as a way to study what my colors could do, from which I learned just how versatile my palette could be, then I painted over it some, mixed some more colors around, mushed some things together, generally just made a mess. Fun times, taught me a great deal about what I could do with the palette so then I painted a lot of other stuff. These messy ones could easily be worked up into way more completed paintings, but that wasn’t the purpose, so I’m ready to cover it all up and start a new. It’s gonna be fun, I’ll show ya where I’m at later with it. :)

- Delo Delofasht
                                        Delofasht

And now it’s this instead:

It’s from a photo I found online, I’ve not yet got it near finished, but I can’t add paint right now without removing more, so let it dry tonight and do some more on it tomorrow maybe.

As an alla prima this could well be considered complete honestly, but I’d much prefer to add some details and push the lighting more and get some texture to the image, there’s a lot of sky lighting that’s not showing right now and the pathway feels like it’s not behind the rock on the right, so I’m gonna work on that stuff tomorrow, or later today if it sets up a bit (a few hours in the sun could let me work on it some more).

- Delo Delofasht
                                            thevaliantx

I had posted this elsewhere, but those in the Oil Painting forum here might like to see my progress.

Arty, how do you come up with the sections of colored vertical lines? Is there a pattern to it, a formula? I’ve thought of trying a limited palette approach by treating the palette as a clock, and using the date (at the time of first starting a painting) to select various colors and for mixing. My way of letting Mother Nature have her hand in my work. I don’t know how you do your abstracts, they look great! I do shapes within shapes in real life, but for some reason I’ve yet to be able to translate that to paper.

Delo, what kind of substrate is that? I lover the organic nature of painting a section within the section of the material…you know, a rough sketch. I’ve thought of taking a blow dryer and seeing if that helps the oxidation process. Would it, or would the heat somehow destroy the painting? I say keep pushing the pieces until you reach the breaking point.

punkpuppet, is that a portrait of one of the Beatles members? Sorry if I got that wrong. I find it quite ironic that he has a small beard and a ton of hair on his head, and I have a big ol’ landing strip down the middle of my head, and a big ol’ Monet-style beard.

Keith, without looking in Google I don’t know what Reliquary for a Spider is.

I wish there were more people posting their work in here. Maybe we can get AnnaLee and EAA to post here?

Are there other great knife painters on YouTube that I can look at besides Igor Sakrahov and Oleg Buiko?

Anyone here used RGH paints? They are sending me a sample of some colors, I thought I would give to my son. He doesn’t like acrylics because of the fast drying times. We tried using KY Jelly as a retardent (per mention of someone in the Cafe chat thread), but it made no noticeable difference. I think there are retardents you can purchase that are made explicitly for acrylics. I think my son would enjoy playing with oils. The RGH paints come in jars, right?

Delofasht

George: I too tend to push them to the point of breaking, it is okay anyhow, at least I will know the limitations of my supplies. A forced air heat gun or hair dryer may accelerate the initial drying process but probably not by enough to tack up or skin over in only a few minutes, it would likely still take at least an hour or two with it being on it. Well at a decent range, because I doubt it would be a good idea to use it very close. The kind of rocks I am painting are a kind of sedimentary rocks, this one from a random photo in the library of interesting pictures I have saved from the internet I believe. Being a sketch, I just painted it on the prepared paper I happen to have a bunch of lying around.

Ya know, I bet a heated fan would work pretty well in a very sun lit room for accelerating drying though. For this time of year that just means opening a window and the blinds, it is hot as Texas in spring up here lately, easily in the 90s most days of the week.

- Delo Delofasht
                                                    thevaliantx

Delo, I know the feeling. Yesterday it was 99 degrees here in Kentucky, with a heat index of 113 :eek: I simply can not go into the studio unless the ceiling fan is running, the little fan in the window is sucking out air, the door is open AND it isn’t scorching outside. This house we rent is very poorly insulated. And when I try dragging my art supplies out of the studio into the rest of the house it just becomes a best mess, waiting for disaster to happen. I’ve already had a situation of one of the cats walking on my palette and running from room to room on brand new carpet. Unfortunately for her she has white paws, so no need for a trial by jury. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 142 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.