WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2018, 11:46 PM

Hails from United States
Transitioning to oils (Seascape)

Hello everyone!

Now that I have transitioned from Acrylics into painting in Oils, I would like to share with the forum group one of the first attempts at a 12 x16 seascape painted with Winsor & Newton artists Oil.

This painting was mainly inspired by an imaginary far off coast. I am thoroughly enjoying the transition thus far, and look forward to sharing my future paintings with the group.

P. Lorin
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2018, 02:12 PM
Missouri USA

Hails from United States
Re: Transitioning to oils (Seascape)

Can I be bold here?

You are at a great start. As you continue with oils you will learn that you approach it much differently than you would an acrylic painting. Remember a few key points when painting with oil paints.

1) Paint very thin at the start with a large brush. Probably larger than you think you need. This is to make a very loose ground work for you painting. Use this stage to decide where things are, add some values and get the general idea of the whole painting on the canvas. This will be your under painting.
2) Slowly add thicker paint and as you do use smaller brushes. With oil you will learn its much more forgiving than people realize. As long as your using thicker paint, you can cover anything already on the canvas. With that said, once you get down to your finest brushes you will be adding the thickest paint. This in when your finest of details will be put in.
3) There are a ton of mediums out there, find what works best for you and your style of painting. A great place to start is just plan ol' Linseed oil. This is what will vary the thickness of your paint.
4) Look at artwork of other artist, see their brush marks, and that will help in adding surface detail and give you an idea of how to approach your painting.

As far as this painting, I like what you had done. The blending in the clouds are great, I can see some thicker paint on the water and on the mountains giving some nice texture and depth. Keep up the work, and keep posting!