Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Hello I’m new to oils

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Doniartist

Hello everyone, I’m new to oils and I have a problem. I am in the process of painting a commissioned painting. In between, I moved. In packing up, my good intentioned hubby wrapped my painting in a cover to protect it. I didn’t say anything to him but my painting came out looking like a fur coat. I pulled off as much as I could but I feel it may be ruined and I need to start over. Is there something I can use to wipe on it to remove a layer safely? Thank you so much. I feel like cryiny. I worked on this for a couple months.
        Doni

RomanB

Solvent + cotton swabs for ear cleaning. Try various solvents on small patches in less significant places.

oh man. That’s terrible, i’m sorry.
            You have to tell your hubby so he doesn’t do something like that again.
            (But be nice :) )

i would avoid solvent because it will lift your underlayers. Were they dry?
            take a rag and put some oil on it, wipe the ruined layer off like that, and you won’t lift previous layers.

Good luck!

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
            Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

WFMartin

Just my opinion, of course, but if it were my painting, I’d start over. I am not aware of ANY way to remove one layer of paint without removing all of them. I’ve had paintings that I’ve had to re-do. It is truly not all that difficult.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

AnnieA

I’d second the suggestion made by Jessica (stapeliad). I’ve found oil works remarkably well in removing surface problems such as lint or dust. Just be careful and use a gentle light touch. Depending on how dry the paint is, it may or may not work. You ultimately may have to start over, but you really have nothing to lose by trying. If you do start over, you’ll probably find that the re-do will go way more quickly than the initial painting since you’ve already worked out most of the problems and will have the old one to go by. Best wishes and let us know what happens.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                    [FONT=Palatino]
                    “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.