Home Forums The Art Business Center General Art Business Artist’s Proof: Is it unusual for the artist to sell theirs?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    chantz_2011

I have a small print I bought a few years ago. In the lower left-hand corner is “A/P” which I assume is artist’s proof.

It is my impression that an artist’s proof is normally retained by the artist. What is considered common practice these days for artist’s proofs?

Also, has the use of the term “artist’s proof” changed over the past 20 to 40 years?

Jay Snively

Folio

I have a small print I bought a few years ago. In the lower left-hand corner is “A/P” which I assume is artist’s proof.

It is my impression that an artist’s proof is normally retained by the artist. What is considered common practice these days for artist’s proofs?

Also, has the use of the term “artist’s proof” changed over the past 20 to 40 years?

Yes, A/P means artist’s proof. An artist might give them as gifts, or might sell them if the rest of the edition is sold out and there’s a demand. Or they could be found among an artist’s effects after death and be sold as part of winding up the estate. As far as I know the meaning of the term hasn’t changed but others might have more information. The nice thing is that the “A/P” virtually guarantees that what you have is an original print and not a reproduction.

Mary

Website

Moqui Steps

Are we talking about original prints as in Intaglio, wood cuts, monotypes etc or printed copies of original art? There are no “rules” on selling an AP that is an original print that I know of. I have seen it as a common practice among printmakers, myself included for the last 36 years. I have found that some people would prefer an AP to a numbered edition print when it comes to printmaking originals.

A signed AP of a copy of an original piece of art would interest me about $5 more than a numbered and signed edition of 50,000, though neither of them interest me very much other than as a reference piece or perhaps a greeting card. I see a print of an original as a way to have a full sized replica of something I really like, a one page “book” if you will. I would never hang a reproduction print of any kind on my walls at home for example – originals only there.

chantz_2011

Thanks for you reply, Donald. It’s an original Intaglio/etching.

I do understand what you mean by the underwhelm of a signed AP of a copy – makes sense.

Jay Snively

Moqui Steps

You are welcome. I am a big fan of Intaglio and have been doing copper plate etchings since the late 70s. Would love to see the print. Since it isn’t your own work I don’t think WC rules would allow you to post it here.

DaveAndrews

Perceptions change, at times I’ve sold work because I needed the money or as a student was flattered that somebody wanted to buy my work. But now would dearly love to possess that work again, the money being spent. Currently a ruthlessness means that I’ll sell anything and everything including my A/Ps, perhaps I haven’t learnt?

kasunart

There’s an artist in my studio complex that has about 6 print bins full of reproductions (bagged but unmatted paper prints of his paintings) and they’re ALL labeled Artist Proofs. People ask him all the time what that means. I’m sure he’s probably just too lazy to keep track of edition numbers, or never wanted to, and he probably thought it’s better to have it as an “artist proof” than just be open ended. He’s never got in trouble and sells a ton of them, so I guess it’s up to you in this day and age.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                              • The topic ‘Artist’s Proof: Is it unusual for the artist to sell theirs?’ is closed to new replies.