Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Plein Air Hall of Fame Trevor chamberlain’s pochade box

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Bobbo

Trevor Chamberlain is a British plein air painter,he paints/painted alot around the marches between Wales and England,and does/did many townscapes in all kinds of weather,he has a no bull aproach and uses a smart tiny pochade box for his field sketches,wich he works out in larger format in the studio

the box is 10x7x3”it can be held in one hand,see tumb hole!build in palette
        Trevor gets little tubes of paint to fit inside
        the little panels are 6×8” and function as the top of the box,they are seperated to avoid smudging
        it is compact and unobtrusive,usefull for busy street scenes or interiors

Bobbo

some samples of his work,

sorry the scans are a bit orange,
            (this shows what i have to put up with when i scan my own paintings,they are really worldclass you know!! :D :D :D

all oils,bar the last,wich is watercolor

blondheim12

He has lovely work. My Lorelou box is 6×8. It is perfect for small paintings. I use it all the time.
                Love,
                Linda

Linda Blondheim Art
                http://www.lindablondheim.com
                Blondheim Art and Stories
                http://www.blondheimartandstories.com

Bobbo

thanks Linda,

that box looks bigger,but very strong :)

amazing views you’ve got from your window :D

LeeHaber

Hi, Thanks for a look at Trevor Chamberlain’s work…I love them all! I appreciate the opportunity to see such wonderful art…thnaks for making it available.

Lee Haber
                        Master Signature Member NYPAP

www.LeeHaberFineArt.com

"In the beginning, I was like everyone else." - Monet

artbars

Hi Bobbo! Thank for interesting show it. Remarkable painting and interesting small easel. I saw some adaptations for painting. This is very well made.

Larry Seiler

He packs a whallop of emotive drama in small spaces giving great appeal! Often when artists then attempt to work bigger, they feel inclined to busy the work up with detailing that loses the charm. Interesting to see this work…thanks for bringing his work to our attention!

Larry

Larry Seiler- Signature Member IPAP; Signature Member American Impressionist Society AIS
                                Main website! https://larryseiler-artist.com/

pampe

wonderful photos. thanks!!

inspiring for us “little box” folks

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Pam
                                    My definition of a free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular. ~~~~Adlai E. Stevenson Jr.

That is a tiny little box he uses!! :cool:

Marc Hanson

Glad to see the interest in Trevor Chamberlain’s work. Thought I’d add to the thread with these images from ‘OILS – Trevor Chaberlain’ a Ron Ranson Painting School book. Published by ANAYA in London. Copyright 1993 Ron Ranson. Hopefully they wouldn’t mind us using these for educational reasons, I don’t want to be sued.

These are 6×8, 7×10, and 10×14, not in that order though.

LeeHaber

Marc, Thanks for posting these. They are inspirational.

Lee Haber
                                            Master Signature Member NYPAP

www.LeeHaberFineArt.com

"In the beginning, I was like everyone else." - Monet

Bobbo

what a treat,
                                                to see so many new paintings of him
                                                thanks Marc

the first thing i knew about Trevor Chamberlain,was a little book,
                                                found localy in a second hand bookshop,you know stuffy old place,
                                                not expecting much,maybe some placemats with an illustration of
                                                Constable’s haywagon…when i opend that book,of this unknown
                                                painter i was struck.good price too :D

he never waits for a sunny day,is not interested in that perfect place.
                                                when it rains he takes his tiny box in the car and paints the weather..

Very cool little box, and such great work on small panels. Question for all using small homemade boxes like the Lorilou boxes. I have 2 that I made, how do you manage to carry the wet panels back to the car without disaster striking? I have a way to do it in the box but it does not work well for more than one panel.

Tony

blondheim12

Very cool little box, and such great work on small panels. Question for all using small homemade boxes like the Lorilou boxes. I have 2 that I made, how do you manage to carry the wet panels back to the car without disaster striking? I have a way to do it in the box but it does not work well for more than one panel.

Tony

Tony,
                                                    I always use a drying box for my wet paintings, whether I’m using my Lorelou box or my Guerrilla Box. I like using a drying box because they hold so many panels and I have the option of leaving them in the box for days at a time if I want to, until they are completely dry.
                                                    Love,
                                                    Linda

Linda Blondheim Art
                                                    http://www.lindablondheim.com
                                                    Blondheim Art and Stories
                                                    http://www.blondheimartandstories.com

JamieWG

Tony

Tony, do a search for Wayne’s thread on an easy wet panel carrier. You make it with two frames front to front. I bought 4-packs of inexpensive 5×7 and 8×10 frames for $10 at Michael’s Arts and Crafts and made them in each size. They’re great, and fit right in a canvas bag with the pochade box, etc. Let me know if you can’t find the thread and I’ll do a search for you when I get home later.

Jamie

Hudson Valley Painter[/url]
                                                        Hudson Valley Sketches -- Reviews/Lightfastness Tests/Art Materials
                                                        [/url]
                                                        One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 96 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘Trevor chamberlain’s pochade box’ is closed to new replies.