WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member

Re: Sketch Book Reviews

Jamie

Hi. I just went to your "my sketches" link. It's so nice to see your work! It's very nice. Very vibrant! Yay. I need to go through everyone's links to appreciate their work too. That's what it's all about. The work!! Or should I say "play?" Painting is fun!

Abby
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 01:05 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

I seem to change my preference from time to time- the softer paper vs. the smoother ones. Must be a mood thing. Some of my portraits (imho) turn out nice because the smooth paper does so well with graphite and a stump. Other days I like the toothier Strath 400 because I change my style to more textury. SO that is why we need this Sketchbook thread here, to in$pire our NEXT purcha$e.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 07:15 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieWG
Vivien, do these pages open flat, to make it easy to draw/paint across a two page spread?

Jamie

yes they do :>)

you can see an open double page spread here

and a thread of work done in it here

I'm in England so don't know about availability in the US :>(

I know Great Art sell it and I thought they were American? maybe not?

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568

Last edited by vhere : 03-13-2011 at 07:19 AM.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Westerly, RI

Hails from United States

Great Art is UK - that's where I found it when I searched and it says they don't ship overseas.
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 10:26 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Vivien, thank you for the reply. I'll keep my eyes open for it and will search around online. I'm hoping I can find it in a portrait format. I prefer that because I can carry around a book half the size and paint across the two-page spread for a horizontal format, or use just one side for a vertical. This book looks like the best thing I've seen so far. I just emailed Dick Blick and asked them if they'd stock it for us sketchbook junkies. LOL

BTW, everybody, the Stillman & Birn Sketchbook Company is experimenting in the factory for us to see if they can turn out a stitch bound book with heavier grade paper. Fingers crossed....

Jamie

Last edited by JamieWG : 03-13-2011 at 10:34 AM.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 01:15 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Interesting, Jamie, on the handbook. I have tried the inks in some pens on it and they washed ok but have not tried watercolor or fountain pens on that one as of yet. It did good with the tombows and wash though. If it proves poor on the other, I may have to revise my placement of it down one grade. Going to bring it out today and try it for a fountain pen ink sample test

thats good news for you about the Stillman & Birn. . .

Anyone ever try these Nujabi watercolor hardbound ones?

Last edited by RainySea : 03-13-2011 at 01:47 PM.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 04:32 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Rainy, here is the correct link for the Nujabi book:

these Nujabi watercolor hardbound ones?[/quote]

I've used them quite a bit. It's an interesting texture --- unlike anything else I've ever used. If you can imagine writing and painting on sized, primed linen or canvas, that's sort of what it's like --- writing on cloth! It's just too much weave for me.

Regarding the Hand Book vellum paper, do a little sketch with wash, then the same exact thing on the Raffine with the same pen and ink. I think you'll see what I mean! Now you have me wondering if I should go and size all the pages in my Hand Book Journal, and see if I like it better. I'm going to try that next!

Jamie
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 07:04 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

You can size the pages? How do you do that. . . I assumed it was something that was done during the making of the paper so I looked it up just now and read about how gelatin is often used but no idea how you would do that? Can you explain what you would do?

Also its sorta confusing as I have read that one should soak watercolor paper to remove the sizing!?

I tested the Red Dragon on the handbook. . . it was ok, but maybe did not wash as smoothly or vibrantly as I think the Raffine does and had a bit more bleed along edges. . . but not sure since its a different ink so now have to try it again on the Raffine to compare as you said.

Last edited by RainySea : 03-13-2011 at 07:21 PM.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2011, 07:30 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Rainy, I tried a little Golden Matte Medium diluted with water. I love this sizing for acrylic and oil painting, but it's got too much grit for my pen to battle. I have some Gamblin PVA size around here somewhere, but I think you're right and that going right to a gelatin size would be best. Look what I found online. I think I'll make a stop at the grocery store tomorrow! LOL

Jamie
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2011, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

Jamie

thanks for the update on Stillman & Birn.. I compared their thickest paper to the Stonehenge Wired journal and the Stonehenge is more substantial. So, it would be great if they could up the GSM of the papers they create their books with overall.

Stillman & Birn sent me samples. I am not sure how much they do that, but if you guys want to try, they may.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2011, 05:09 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by big foot
Jamie

thanks for the update on Stillman & Birn.. I compared their thickest paper to the Stonehenge Wired journal and the Stonehenge is more substantial. So, it would be great if they could up the GSM of the papers they create their books with overall.

Stillman & Birn sent me samples. I am not sure how much they do that, but if you guys want to try, they may.

Big foot, is their heaviest paper (250 gsm?) heavy enough to make for a good stitchbound book? Is it well sized for pen and ink and watercolor work? Even if it's not quite as heavy as the Stonehenge, it might work if it is sized well enough. What are your thoughts about that?

Jamie
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member

The heaviest paper is 180 lbs/ 270 gsm, cold pressed rough surface "internal and surface sized"

Definitely a nice rough texture Well, that's subjective. Yeah.. well, I like it a lot. And it feels substantial, that it could take scrubbing and other rough handling (depending on how you work).. but not sure about how much water it can take. I need to check it out more.

It is absolutely fine for pen, ink, (modest) watercolor. I have NOT tried it with a heavier wash yet though. So, I could be surprised.. I am not familiar with how to evaluate sizing. The label on the books say that the paper is "internal and surface sized."

If you give me a bit of context I can do what I can to respond. I can also tear out a sheet or sheets and mail one/them to you if you'd like to check it out? I am sure you'd like to feel the paper and test it out yourself. It may be hard for the company to make book bound books with the 180 lb/270 gsm paper. Are there companies that offer bookbound sketchbooks with heavy papers? I have a bunch of wirebound books that I've used.. the heaviest (before Stillman & Birn) was 140 lb (watercolor papers cotton/cellulose; just cotton; just cellulose.. but mainly student grade papers..just a few higher end books and all are wirebound). Heavier papers might be hard to bind while also making the actual book usable. Maybe that is why books with heavier papers have few sheets, but also sellable $$ pricing?

I would like compact books to carry around in my purse or messenger bag.. in sizes that Stilman & Birn offers 7x7; 6x8 (as well as landscape, e.g. 7x10 or 6x9) with at least 50 sheets and slightly higher gsm. (Maybe sizing is another metric.. another way of articulating a feature I may ideally want. Not sure.. But I could definitely use your help understanding that.)

If you contact Birn & Stillman (and also Legion/Stonehenge).. they may be open to sending you a sample book/s. In the interim, I am honestly very happy to sent sheets for you to check out too..and if you don't have Stonehenge Wired, I can also send you a sheet of that to check out too.

Last edited by big foot : 03-14-2011 at 09:50 PM.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
New England

Hails from United States

has anyone found a journal/sketchbook made with hot-pressed paper?
I'm looking to start a journal for colored pencil but i work on HP paper.
thx
pezk
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 01:36 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezk
has anyone found a journal/sketchbook made with hot-pressed paper?
I'm looking to start a journal for colored pencil but i work on HP paper.
thx
pezk

The Moleskine Sketchbook is great for colored pencil work.

Big Foot, thank you so much for the additional information. I've been in touch with the company, so I might ask them to send samples. That was a kind offer. I might just go ahead and order a couple of the books....

Jamie

Last edited by JamieWG : 03-18-2011 at 01:41 PM.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2011, 01:52 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

I have a Derwent sketchbook (its filled now) that seems to have HP watercolor as its very smooth and took washes outstanding. Not sure though.

Also, American Journey has one with HP paper
http://www.cheapjoes.com/prod/AJ911585/

Also if you are using it for colored pencil, the Strathmore Journal has both a Bristol Vellum and a Bristol Smooth that seem nice (have not tired them yet but they are pretty heavy) and the prices on those are great.

Last edited by RainySea : 03-18-2011 at 01:54 PM.