WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > Photo Equipment and Software
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2019, 12:20 PM

Mounting

Hi, I have a number of ink jet prints I want to mount onto wooden painting panels.
I've tried spray mount adhesive but haven't had success as it often doesn't stick thoroughly even after coating both the print and substrate.

I have also tried acid free glue but have found the glue is too wet and will be absorbed into the inkjet paper and buckle (even after varnishing the paper).

Dry mounting hasn't been successful either as the grain of the wood shows through.

Does anyone have experience with Laminall?
Any other suggestions?

Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2019, 08:08 AM
Enthusiast
Cheshire U.K.

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Mounting

Have you tried varnishing the wood first ?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2019, 06:03 PM

I put Gesso over the wood before mounting
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2019, 06:03 AM
Enthusiast
Cheshire U.K.

Hails from United Kingdom

I think that varnishing would stop the grain showing through and give you a hard surface which should help your adhesion problem.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2019, 11:44 AM
Atlantic Canada

Hails from Canada

Try spraying the back of the print with a solvent based workable fix before using a wet process. This will prevent the paper from absorbing moisture and buckling.
Gesso dries too hard. You need to use a polymer acrylic gel which remains sticky when dry. Coat both the panel and the print. At this point heat will reactivate the polymer which is essentially a thermal plastic, Or merely add another coating of polymer and stick the sandwich together while still wet and weight it down for a day or two.

BetterlightSuper6KHS, medium and large format lenses, Sinar hybrid 4x5 cameras[17lenses], D800,16fish,14-24,17-35,28shift,45,60micro,85tilt,105micro,135DF,200mic ro,ipf8300 printer Watercolour,softpastel,acrylic,airbrush,oil stick expert art reprography,finishing Giclée,stretching canvas,collects kolinsky watercolour brushes