WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Airbrush
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2019, 10:57 PM

Airbrush Medium + Watercolor Paints = future paint layers on top of it crack?

I make mixed media work and have been learning how to use acrylic to suit my needs over the past 2 years.

I only started using various mediums about 6 months ago. Airbrush medium was one of the first ones I tried, though I apply it with a PAINT BRUSH. It allows me to be more fluid, but I think my first inclination to buying it/using it was because I read that mixing acrylic with airbrush medium is a more stable way to dilute it than with water. This would be useful for some wash layers.

I ended up mixing (Liquitex) airbrush medium with watercolor paint, which can actually look quite great. It has a more faint, ghostly effect when drawn on with a paintbrush. Or, you can basically drop in fluid into various shallow areas of a painting. Even thicker forms of fluid/airbrush medium+WC paint can look good and less "plastic" than when I mix acrylic paint with airbrush medium.

BUT..................

As I build up my painting, if I put any acrylic painting on top of these areas that have airbrush medium + watercolor - the acrylic paint, as it dries, starts to separate/crack. This of course looks terrible, and so I now have just stopped mixing watercolor+airbrush medium to avoid this problem.

DO ANY OF YOU KNOW WHY THIS HAPPENS?

I did buy Golden's version of airbrush medium to see if this still happens but I don't feel too convinced there will be too much difference so I haven't experimented with it yet.

It took me quite awhile to figure out that it was airbrush medium + watercolor causing the later acrylic layers to crack.

Isolation layers (like polycrylic) also seem to have a hard time adhering to these WC+ABM areas as well. The areas are so small, or drawn lines, it's not worth trying to spray clear coat or something on them either. It's a bummer to have to abandon this combination.

Last edited by mixedmess : 02-22-2019 at 11:00 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2019, 07:01 PM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany
Re: Airbrush Medium + Watercolor Paints = future paint layers on top of it crack?

could you post some pics?
Quote:
"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2019, 04:31 PM

Re: Airbrush Medium + Watercolor Paints = future paint layers on top of it crack?

Here is an example. It's harder to see, but there is a bright blue area which is watercolor + airbrush medium. When I put this yellow acrylic (+ matte medium, but it doesn't matter, it happens with all acrylic) As the acrylic dries it starts to "crack" like this. Is there a better term/word for this? When applied VERY lightly, it's ok, but often my brush on the surface of these areas I can sense the watercolor/airbrush medium areas repelling or resisting the acrylic paint going on top of it. It's really annoying because my work relies on heavy layering.

Just using acrylic + airbrush medium results in a thicker, brighter, more artificial layer than if I use watercolor + airbrush medium.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2019, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member
Nevada

Hails from United States

it looks like your water color disrupted the chemical bonding/drying process of the acrylic, if its like Golden then give there techs a call and they can give you some reasons and possible solution, or which ever brand of acrylic you are using.