WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Southwest and Western Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2018, 12:40 AM
Enthusiast
Owensboro,KY.

Hails from United States
Plein Air Adventure in Big Bend National Park (XP-Plein Air)

Hi, y'all!!

It's been a while since I have posted anything here and having just recently seen Dave's post and thread about his experiences in Big Bend NP, I thought I would share mine.

It all began after I had seen that Gregory Summers was having a plein air workshop there and it gave me a justifiable reason to leave home. I'm a stay at home dad with a 15 and 14 year old who have busy lives of their own, so getting away isn't always easy for me. But, we found a way this time.

Although impracticable for the 1300 mile trip out there from my home in Kentucky, I decided to take my Jeep because I knew if I took the minivan, I would likely tear it up on those roads that I wouldn't be able to resist exploring.

So, one early morning in February, I kissed the wife and kids goodbye and headed west. I drove straight through and arrived at Panther Junction early the next morning and quickly secured myself a backcountry camping permit.

I chose the Robbers Roost campsite, based on my internet research. It was very secluded and lived up to my expectation of a remote site. On the way into the site, while still on the paved road, a rear break cylinder began to leak badly...of course!! I turned around and drove back to Panther junction to the little gas station there to buy more brake fluid and find out that the nearest auto parts store was 100 miles away.

Chisos Mountains From My Campsite

Trailside Repair

Campsite With Elephant Tusk

I decided to just use my emergency brake to limp to my campsite...my Jeep is a manual trans which also helps with engine braking. After getting to my campsite I decompressed for a bit after the long drive just to get there and figured out my gameplan to fix the Jeep. I had tools with me and decided to just cut the hard line and crimp it off with vice grips. Works all the time for trailside repairs in my past. This time was no different.

With that done and camp set up, I just sat there and listened to the silence. The alien landscape around me was incredible. I was taking photos every 30 seconds of the changing light on the Chisos Mountains and ate my dinner watching the Earth's shadow cross the land. At some point, the International Space Station passed overhead. I was getting the full show!!

The next day I had to be in Terlingua to meet up with Greg and the other hardy painters for the workshop. For the next few nights I would be living civilized in a cabin.

Our first painting day in the park we drove to Santa Elena Canyon and spent the day painting there. First, Greg did a demo and then turned us loose to paint and get instruction along the way. Greg was very good at making it around to all of us and offer his points and suggestions. I always find it helpful to have another set of eyes on my work. I may not always take on what is being offered (I'm hard headed, ask my wife. LOL) but I do listen, consider it, and even sometimes accept it.

Santa Elena Canyon

A Rio Grande View Into Mexico

Our second day of the workshop, we drove up to Chisos Basin. We hiked a short ways and once again Greg painted a demo and then it was our turn. I kinda struggled on this day and wasn't too happy with what I accomplished. But, that usually the case for me.

Greg Summers Demo Painting

Chisos Basin

Yours Truly, Todd Derr

Day three and our final day of the workshop, we painted around the Terlingua ghost town. Even though this was in February, the sun becomes very intense on cloudless days. I think I about went blind with my first painting that was contre jour, but it turned out pretty well. My last painting Greg wanted me to get away from the vistas and focus on something, so I chose an old rusty air compressor.

Terlingua Ghost Town

With that, the workshop was over. We had a little critique session and then broke off to go our own ways. I really enjoyed painting with Greg and my new artist friends. I would recommend Greg as an instructor if you get a chance.

From there I drove back into the park and camped with some friends at the Rio Grande Village campground.

I was up early the next morning and drove to Boquillas Canyon to get right back to painting. Unbeknownst to me, I ran into Greg on the trail. He was already slinging paint. I walked on deeper into the canyon and found a cool spot with a nice contrasting rock formation against the distant canyon wall.
I quickly setup and got to painting. Soon, I heard a lovely tune being sung in Spanish as it echoed out of the canyon. I was intrigued but needed to finish my work.

Boquillas Canyon

It wasn't long and I was done and headed further along the trail into the canyon. I came into a small thicket of trees and all around were small handcrafted trinkets and hand painted and adorned hiking sticks. A small figure wandered up wearing a cowboy hat and a smile. It was Jesus, and he was who had serenaded me while I worked. I purchased a few things for my kids, thanked him for his songs, and made my way to find another painting.

The trail peters out as the walls of the canyon come down to meet the Rio Grande. I turned around and painted the view out of the canyon.

View Out Of Boquillas Canyon

I still had half the day, so I drove back up to Chisos Basin and parked at the Lost Mine trailhead, determined to hike up and do another painting.

I threw on my pack and headed up. The higher and more exposed I got, the wind and rain began to make things interesting. The rain wasn't bad and blew through pretty quickly, so i continued up until I found a nice overlook. I quickly sat up and got to work. Sporadic rain would appear, but the wind was relentless and may times found myself holding onto my easel with one hand while painted with the other.

Lost Mine Trail

I wanted to press on to the top and I knew I was running out of time, because I still hadn't secured a campsite for the night. Prudence be damned, I'm going up.
I hiked and hiked, and the end of the trail was near...but my calculations had me really pressing my luck on exiting the trail and getting my campsite, so I turned around just short of the top and hightailed it back down to my Jeep.

I didn't even try in the park, so I ended up at a nice private campground west of Terlingua called Rancho Topanga. It was getting dark, so it was a quick shower, some food, and into the sack.

The next morning, I was out and on the road bright and early. This time westbound along Hwy 170. I stopped at the Big Bend Ranch State Park visitors center to purchase a permit because I knew I'd be wandering off somewhere along the way. I had no clue about the place, but something was sure to catch my fancy.

I ended up pulling into a trailhead for a slot canyon called Closed Canyon. I hiked back into the canyon with my gear...hoping I could make it to the river, but there is a reason it's called Closed Canyon. It gets stupid dangerous to go past some drop offs if you are alone and without climbing gear...which is discouraged by the park anyway. So, I turned around and headed back, but not before stopping at a spot and doing a painting. I guess being alone doesn't bother me to often, but there I was getting a little creeped out. I finished up and got back to the Jeep. This was to be my last painting of the trip.

I drove from there up to Marfa, TX. then on to Davis Mountains State Park to camp. I made it that evening for the Star Party at the McDonald Observatory and got to say hello to a friend from my old high school who works there. What a cool place.

The next morning I woke up to freezing cold temps and an ominous sky. I debated on my route, thinking I might try to swing up through New Mexico before heading back east. I made it to Pecos and saw a tire going low, so I stopped to get it repaired, which ate up three hours. While waiting, I decided it was time to get on home. It should have been straight-forward, but the weather decided to make my trip interesting as a huge winter ice storm blanketed everything between Midland to Dallas.

Suffice it to say, it was a long night behind the wheel, but I made it home safely...albeit worn out. I slept for a day.

Oh, by the way. My trail side repair got me all the way home.

Thank you for making it this far. I will be adding the paintings soon.

Todd
Todd Derr - pigment mover. Observer of nature.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2018, 12:43 AM
Enthusiast
Owensboro,KY.

Hails from United States
Re: Plein Air Adventure in Big Bend National Park (XP-Plein Air)

Paintings from the trip.

"Santa Elena Canyon"
12"x9" oil on linen panel

"Across The Rio Grande"
9"x12" oil on linen panel

"Early Shadows"
12"x9" oil on linen panel

"Through The Window"
11"x14" oil on linen panel

"Terlingua Ghost Town"
11"x14" oil on linen panel

"Colorful Compressor"
8"x10" oil on linen panel

"Boquillas Canyon"
8"x6" oil on linen panel

"Out Of Boquillas Canyon"
12"x6" oil on linen panel

"Lost Mine Vista"
6"x8" oil on linen panel

"The Color Fades"
14"x5" oil on linen panel
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2018, 07:50 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

AWESOME WORK! GREAT - that certainly will be a trip you will never forget!
http://painterofthesouthwest.blogspot.com/
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2018, 12:21 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Todd, thank you so much for sharing your journey in detail with us! As a western plein air trip is something I don't anticipate being able to do anytime soon, I feel as though I was along for this adventure by your marvelous descriptions, photos, and, of course, paintings! It sounds like a truly unforgettable trip, and I'm so glad you made it work to do this for yourself. Your paintings are all so great! I really enjoyed seeing them in their settings, as I really admired your eye for accurate, natural colors and values. Sounds like every artist's dream to take a trip like this, and it's inspiring to see how it went for you. Thank you for sharing this with us. What a treat!

My blog: http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2018, 03:02 PM
Enthusiast
Montana

Hails from United States

Todd: Fantastic trip ... great paintings ... thanks for sharing

Hud
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2019, 08:13 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Lovely body of work, great to see the process too.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2019, 10:06 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

A super set of paintings, you spent your time well.

Doug
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2019, 09:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Todd:
Really enjoyed seeing your work and also the clever repair to your Jeep.

Hope to run into you some time out there.

-Dave
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2019, 08:19 PM
A Local Legend
southeast Wyoming

Hails from United States

Great thread here, Todd! I truly enjoy hearing and seeing about your travels and adventures on your painting excursions. Great paintings, wow...your crankin out some great work! Enjoy all the photos here too..

Come join us in the Southwest/Western forum
My art blog
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2019, 11:35 PM
Enthusiast
Owensboro,KY.

Hails from United States

Hey, thanks everyone for the awesome comments.

I share this in the spirit of providing inspiration for my other brothers and sisters of the brush...in other words, y'all.

As I have been inspired by other artists and their stories, I didn't think for a long time that I could make something happen with my painting dream. I didn't start until I was well into my 30's. I just turned 50 last summer and every year keeps getting better. At the rate I'm going I'll be a 20 year, overnight success.. LOL!!

Take care,
Todd
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2019, 11:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

That sounds like such fun! Except for the driving on winter roads part. Lol. You will remember that trip for a long time. I like every single one of the paintings too. But maybe the Rio Grande best. Do you have a favorite?
I have little canvas carriers that are stretchy bands with loops on the end- like bungees. Made for putting the loops around corners of wet canvases to carry. But I used them to secure my canvas to my easel when it was windy by looping it around the back Worked pretty well.
my blog
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2019, 02:04 PM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

Thanks for sharing the photos and the paintings. I often have a look in the Plein Air Forum, but never comment. Your works are beautiful.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2019, 08:50 AM

All very nice. Thanks for sharing. One of my goals is to visit all of the national parks, and Big Bend is one I haven’t reached yet. I generally paint scenes later from photos I take due to difficulties flying with oil paints, but I have managed a few plein air trips.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2019, 12:56 AM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

I loved reading about your trip and looking at the beautiful paintings. I like the view of Terlingua. All the paintings are spot on. I liked going back to the Big Bend with you. Thanks.
Winston Churchill
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2019, 06:17 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

What a great set of paintings! Love them all.