WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2018, 02:29 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States
Re: Delo's Random Sketchbook

Vivien and Helen: Many thanks.

Delofasht
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Just a handful of pages I had forgotten to scan in and share as I had been doing them. Some more successful and finished than others, but I am trying a few different approaches to colored pencil applications, more loose and focused on impressions rather than finished work to finish up this sketchbook. Had a couple days of really tough pen sketching too, where I seemed to struggle with working from imagination terribly. So much of what I have here is from various references from the RIL, too many to bother with trying to link them all, and rarely with focus on copying.

Delofasht
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France

I am loving every page!

Thank you for sharing.

https://womenwagepeace.org.il/en/
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2018, 06:52 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

good ones

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-10-2018, 06:03 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Vivien & Maria: Many thanks for stopping in to look and comment.

Nearly done with this sketchbook, and really looking forward to having finished it because I want to jump into the other sketchbooks I have around the house.

Delofasht
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2018, 02:25 AM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Been painting so much lately that I haven't really had time to draw much. Did a bit from references I had taken awhile back, then some from imagination, and finally a few from references I found online.

Delofasht
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2018, 04:31 PM
Lord of the Arts
The Land of the Moonrakers

Hails from United Kingdom

Always interesting to look at your sketches Delo. Quite a difference to the way you work with strong cross-hatching in graphite/pen? and the more subtle approach with coloured pencils.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2018, 01:37 AM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Thanks for taking a look Sonia. Actually, the reasoning for working more softly with colored pencil is kind of two fold, first is that this paper doesn’t like colored pencil over much. Second is that I never sharpen my colored pencils, so I cannot get strong sharp lines, hatching becomes kind of soft and airy even I do use try it with them.

My preferred surface for colored pencil work are sanded, since they eat up a sharpened tip too quickly to keep it for long. Rather than waste tons of colored pigment and binder with sharpening, instead I use the sanded surface to sharpen them for me. I keep them in my sketching kit to add color to stuff in sketchbooks like these though, where watermedia makes the paper ripple a lot and annoys me.

Delofasht
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2018, 07:13 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Did a loose sketch yesterday of a cave, then started adding and changing from the reference and adjusting the scale to make it larger, dropping in people, creatures, and a road. I want to do more, in time, but for now it's a start of an idea that I will get more done on this idea in the next sketchbook. The paper started clogging up and the graphite was sliding off too much on my fingers, such that I can't really take it to a more complete finish without it just becoming an even more smudgy mess.

Also started making edges sharp and giving some kind of lighting (strong and from the right side casting various shadows everywhere). I want to do this in pen and color washes at some point, but larger and after more planning.

Delofasht
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2018, 07:52 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Wonderful work, Delo. I like the architectural feeling and the hatching for the geometric shapes
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2018, 08:49 PM
A WC! Legend
Long Island

Hails from United States

Wow!!! I missed a lot while I was away. You have some really nice pieces here in a variety of media!
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2018, 02:05 AM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

eyepaint, thanks! I have really been focusing on the shapes of things lately.

Joan T, back in time to see the good stuff, though you have some really great sketches from your vacation from what I saw. I do work in a lot of media, and the more I have the more I have found their similarities. It feels great to just grab any media and feel comfortable using it.

Delofasht
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2018, 08:37 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Today's hour worth of effort, just some quick colored pencil "washes" to add some color. After struggling with using colored pencil in these Strathmore 400 Series sketchbook for years now, I think I have finally figured out something that works and looks good for study purposes. From reference in our RIL, treated as a pen and "wash" approach.

For this one particularly, I learned a great deal regarding how to simplify the information into blocks of information. This information will greatly improve my later work I am sure. It is funny to me, that even 20 years into drawing and sketching now, I am still learning incredible lessons that will impact my work for years to come.

Well, thanks for taking a look!

Delofasht
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2018, 04:10 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
Yeah Sandra, I remember having a nice little watercolor sketchbook a long time ago. . . but heavens knows where it went off to. I spent a little time today looking for another sketchbook actually, even reached out to a couple of manufacturers to see what they would suggest from their lines.

"Close" to finishing up this sketchbook, unfortunately the pages are too thin for working on each side, or I would have a ton of room left in the book. That is part of the reason I am looking to get a new one actually.

These are a few more pages from this book that I had time to get scanned in. I have done a couple more pages today that are more focused on drawing from imagination in a very structured way, but I can't get to my scanner at the moment. Will have to post those another time.

I really, really like the crudeness of these sketches. More essence, please!

My Instagram -> kristy.polymath
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2018, 03:54 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

It has been awhile, have not been getting much sketching done for the past month as I have been busy with some paid work. I did manage to get a few pages in though.

Delofasht