WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2018, 06:34 AM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France
Re: Delo's Random Sketchbook

Love it all!!! But it is my personal feeling, and preference, for the ones portraying life - people and animals. They are very vivid and touching.

Please keep posting. I know I can learn a lot from your sketches.

https://womenwagepeace.org.il/en/
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2018, 07:23 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Maria, thanks so much! I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about why I do anything if it would help you understand the process a bit better. I am always learning from others art as well, the student of everyone.

So today I was feeling I guess a bit "blocked" and just wanted to bang out something easy (or at least something I could mess up alot on and it would be okay).

These trees line the road to my mother in laws apartment, they actually have quite a bit more foliage at the top than I could put in here. Sadly, the paper started curling too much for me to really continue without it starting to give way under my ballpoint pen. I may give it a wash of watercolor though, as I liked where it was at and I think color would really help separate the background and sky from the tree limbs.

Delofasht
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2018, 07:49 PM
Beautiful BC

Hails from Canada

Great work, Delo - love the hatching on the ballpoint sketches.
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-07-2018, 05:06 PM
UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Gorgeous stuff, top to bottom. Your confidence shines through. Everything looks strong and on point. I love the fantasy explorations in particular. I get the feeling that stuff doesn't float that well here on WC, but you show such an understanding of the real world that your fantasy elements are more grounded in reality than... well, a few stuffy nosed people in other sub-forums I have ventured into. More, please!

Sketch-Blog
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2018, 03:21 AM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France

@Munin Raven, I very much agree with you.
You know, you should not pay attention to stuffy nosed people - more often they are extremely insecure, actually. Don't let yourself get bitter because of them...

@Delo, that hatching is fabulous.Your hand is so steady!!!! I love the atmosphere.

#36   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2018, 08:50 AM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Delo, your work is fabulous. I have enjoyed scrolling through your thread. Wow!!
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2018, 08:49 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Eyepaint: Thanks! I've really begun to love ballpoint in the past couple years.
Munin: Wow, thanks so much for the compliments! I really do love the fantasy stuff, it's not quite as popular here, but it is one of the most challenging subjects to do realistically and very difficult to give input on sometimes. Ballpoint pen has made me much more confident, kind of forces it in a way, but now I just cover my mistakes with hatching!
Maria: Thanks! I'll be honest though, my trick to good hatching is to work small.
JJ: Thank you so much, I have really enjoyed sharing it all. I have done a couple other sketches but my pages are incomplete yet, so I have to finish them before I go on sharing them.

Delofasht
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2018, 01:37 PM
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by provenceaquarelle
You know, you should not pay attention to stuffy nosed people - more often they are extremely insecure, actually. Don't let yourself get bitter because of them...

Very aptly said. I used to feel a little irked by the odd comment directed at fantastical elements. It was more to do with how the comment was almost always couched in a way that would compliment, and and at the same time throw in smugness. I'll take brutal and honest critique all day long (I love that, but I understand tha), but the little addendums used to rub me the wrong way, I cannot deny.

Sketch-Blog
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2018, 02:07 PM
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by provenceaquarelle

Very aptly said. I used to feel a little irked by the odd comment directed at fantastical elements. It was more to do with how the comment was almost always couched in a way that would compliment, and at the same time throw in smugness. I'll take brutal and honest critique all day long (I love that, but I understand it's not what WC is about), but the little addendums used to rub me the wrong way, I cannot deny.

Now I just enjoy the banter and focus on the people who are posting and enjoying what they do. That seems to be what WC is mostly about.

Apologies to Delo' he doesn't need this in his thread. Happy to discuss more elsewhere.

Delo: Haha, love that cover mistakes with hatching line. So true. But I love it! That last tree sketch shows you are so good, but I bet you blagged a few things towards the bottom, haha. Sod it. You got all the goodness out of that experience. It's honest and fruitful. Beyond that it feels like work? I don't know... just guessing.

Sketch-Blog
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2018, 06:07 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munin Raven
Delo: Haha, love that cover mistakes with hatching line. So true. But I love it! That last tree sketch shows you are so good, but I bet you blagged a few things towards the bottom, haha. Sod it. You got all the goodness out of that experience. It's honest and fruitful. Beyond that it feels like work? I don't know... just guessing.

The last tree sketch had some intentional looser hatching in some places, wanted to push the eye more toward the middle and bottom of the tree to keep the eye from going off the edges of the paper as it prone to do when following limbs upward. My main interest in the sketch is actually the bush that clings to the base of the trunk, I spent most of the time figuring out how to create a sense of leafy bushiness that also had lots of depth and wanted the sense of roundness as the bush wrapped around the tree trunk. The design of the whole page was forefront in my mind while building the sketch. My studies tend to be more about design now days than materials, color, texture, or form. Trying to arrange what I am seeing into a pleasing and interesting way that also pushes the viewers eye where I want it. I feel like I need color for the Tree sketch to make that work though, still very pleased with the overall effect.

Also, we can talk about anything in my thread, no clog here, I enjoy it. Keeps me from having to check as many subforums too.

Delofasht
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-12-2018, 12:22 AM
Veteran Member

Absolutely amazing Delo! I love how you use planes and lines to construct the form much like a sculptor.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2018, 05:06 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Thanks so much otherworlder!

I have been doing a lot of work on single sheets of paper lately that are not in my sketchbook so have not had much to share. Perhaps one day I will take all my loose sheets and sew them together to make a book of them. . . probably not though. At any rate, here are a few new pages I did while I was visiting friends and sitting in the lobby of the library and a few other places.

Ahhh.... these past few pages have felt really weak compared to some of my previous pages, but I am totally okay with that. They are warm up pages before working on more serious work, so they are doing their jobs well, getting me warmed up for the day and sharpening up my rusty skills (had 5 days off of drawing due to some wrist issues).

Delofasht
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2018, 04:15 AM
Enthusiast
South of France

Hails from France

Well, I am going to disappoint you, by not agreeing with your sayings... I very much like these past few pages.
Your people's sketchs are quite lively, and the hatching is always superbe.
The faces are very expressive.

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2018, 08:40 PM
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Well thanks for the encouragement Maria. I am anxious to be done with this sketchbook, I have found far better sketchbooks now that handle all the media I put on them so much better. When I start work on those sketchbooks I will open threads for them.

Delofasht
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2018, 09:38 PM
A WC! Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
Well thanks for the encouragement Maria. I am anxious to be done with this sketchbook, I have found far better sketchbooks now that handle all the media I put on them so much better. When I start work on those sketchbooks I will open threads for them.
Please post a link here when you start the new threads.