WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2017, 05:30 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States
Re: Encouraging Beginning Drawers

Quote:
Originally Posted by asifshaikh
Another quick question, when it comes to drawing supplies where do you buy them online?
I get mine from Dick Blick ... but I'm in the US and I understand shipping to other countries can be expensive. Still, I would think there must be some place in Europe where shipping would be reasonable. Perhaps Amazon UK? After looking on Google i didn't find any art suppliers outside of the UK.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2017, 07:20 AM
Liverpool, England

Hails from England

Hi Asif, I'm in the U.K. and get my supplies either from Ken Bromley Art Supplies or Amazon UK. I generally shop around and see who is the cheapest for what I want.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2017, 02:40 PM
Calgary

Hails from Canada

I don't have anything I can compare now because I just started. I was so scared of drawing human face, now I'm trying. Here are the first two weeks' effort.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...lW4c-YS54ZSLF5

Life is a learning journey. C&C always welcome! My blog: Walking To The Light.

#64   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2017, 04:42 PM
Calgary

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhoenix
I don't have anything I can compare now because I just started. I was so scared of drawing human face, now I'm trying. Here are the first two weeks' effort.
Sorry for missing my photos:
Week1 start:
Week1 finish:

Just found it's so hard to upload pictures. Next time should use a better computer.

Life is a learning journey. C&C always welcome! My blog: Walking To The Light.

#65   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2017, 05:55 PM

I appreciate seeing the progression of skill posted here. At this point, I would say I am sketching rather than drawing. I prefer loose style art rather than strict realism myself. The realism pieces are beautiful; it's just a personal preference for personal style. At the same time, I do want to add the right details in composition and value gradients. That is what I am struggling to get back. My brain could do it almost automatically 30 years ago. Now, not so much. It's harder to retrain those synapses, but I'm enjoying the process. Thank you for giving the visual encouragement that the work pays off eventually.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2017, 05:55 PM
Lord of the Arts

Comments and crits welcomed--that's how I can learn.

I really appreciate this thread. I have gotten support from it, and am grateful to those who have posted first and recent, and especially bad
drawings. One of my favorite sayings is, anything worth doing is worth doing badly. I've generally been painting, rather than drawing, and recently said to a few friends that I don't see a lot of progress. I have even pulled out first plein airs to compare with recent ones... But I really enjoy it, so, I'll keep at it, even posting the "really should be better by now" ones.

As for drawing, I haven't spent a lot of time on drawing, but decided to post 4 that I've done in the last couple of weeks. For some reason, when I draw, it seems I need several drawings before producing a good one. Almost as if I have to figure out what the subject looks like.
My first photo shows that: the bottom V right is the first, the top V right is second, the third, on the V left, is the last, and best. Graphite on cheap, old drawing paper. big one, ~9x12, the others, well, ~6x6"
The original photo IS THE 6TH down at the JULY Challenge SOUTHWEST /WESTERN FORUM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1430026

This second drawing was done Thursday, Aug. 3, 2017. charcoal, old colored pencils and chalk, on recycled bond paper. Started out just to see if I could do it, now I wish it were on better paper, lol.
The original is photo three from DOG BREED PROJECT: Border Collie http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569732

This is my drawing: And again, C&C welcome.

I'd like to add, the first drawings were for the challenge and I wanted it the best I could do. The second one, the one in color, was playing around, and the only one of of it I have done. I may do another. I'm kind of pleased with it.

Last edited by ntl : 08-04-2017 at 05:59 PM.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2017, 08:27 AM
Immortalized
Runcorn (near Liverpool)

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparrowHawk7
The darkest pencil available at this time is the General 9xxb pencil. I have some but haven't tried them yet ... I suspect layering is still going to be the best way to get the most solid values.
I have the General 9xxb pencil, which is the best, no shine pencil, IMHO. I heard a few weeks ago, can't remember where, that the 8b and 9b Staedtler Mars Lumograph (wood) pencils were good, so I ordered an 8b and it is, really good. Matt black with almost no sheen whatsoever. I've just ordered another one and a couple of the 9b's to add to my (enormous) collection of pencils
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2017, 09:01 AM
Immortalized
Runcorn (near Liverpool)

While I'm lurking in this thread I may as well post some of my drawing improvements. After years of being away from drawing, I hope to get back to it and improve even more.

I joined WC D&S way back in August 2006. I posted the, heavy, line drawing I'd done of my daughter, and was gently guided through the process by many wonderful artists, to do a decent drawing of her. Here is the original drawing I had done of my Dad(before WC), next to the better version (which I did with just a 2b pencil). It's amazing how much better your drawings can become if you use a wider range of leads and good paper, too.

A year after joining WC I did the portrait of my brother, then about a year after that, did my Mum's portrait. Thought I'd throw in one of my furry beasts, too
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2017, 12:13 AM

Thank you Janby for posting your portrait drawings. You have given me hope in the development stakes as I am at the level of the first drawing of your father. Am working hard on getting the likenesses down pat as well as not being afraid of the 'darks'. So thank you for the inspiration!
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2017, 05:53 PM
Immortalized
Runcorn (near Liverpool)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinlife68
Thank you Janby for posting your portrait drawings. You have given me hope in the development stakes as I am at the level of the first drawing of your father. Am working hard on getting the likenesses down pat as well as not being afraid of the 'darks'. So thank you for the inspiration!
I'm so pleased that you found them inspirational. It's been about five years since I did my last portrait, but I really want to get back to it. The best advice I can give you is to take on board all of the advice you get as you post your work, as this is the best way to improve. The other advice, which I need to follow myself, is from our Ken (aka Sparrowhawk), which is to practice (a lot) and to practice patience
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 05:39 AM

Thank you guys. This is the most encouraging and inspiring thread!
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-30-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-xtreme
Thank you guys. This is the most encouraging and inspiring thread!

Yes second that!
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2018, 06:04 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

There hasn't been much activity in this thread for a while so I thought I'd add something new. Life is always full of surprises - some not so nice - and drawing or art in general can be the same. Things happen and that's a fact ... but what do you do if something unusual happens to a drawing you have been working on for a long time?

I started working on this cat and all was going well enough after about 100 or so hours on it. I was enjoying it well enough but had come to a place where I knew I would be bored - doing that one cheek was not particularly interesting to me but I made a start with the mindset that I was going to go at my normal speed (or lack thereof) and not rush. Then ... what seemed like disaster struck.

Out of nowhere a rather large black mark showed up on the pristine white paper. It would not erase with anything I tried. I even tried scraping it with a razor blade but nothing worked and I was afraid of damaging the paper if I tried anything else. So I spent some time considering things - I could throw it away and all that time would only be good for practice or I could go on and somehow make it work out. And that black mark was smack dab in the middle of a light colored area in the fur on the reference. I did continue on and adjusted the markings to try to cover that thing, whatever it was. It was marginally successful - you can still see it if you look and I'll always know it is there but the average viewer is not likely to notice it as a glaring flaw.

Sometimes an accident is beyond fixing - like the coke I spilled on that earlier drawing I posted, but other times you can be creative with the image. Had this been a commission I might not have been able to modify it to work - and had this been a human portrait with that mark on a forehead I might have had a much greater challenge - pulling some hair over it perhaps ... but just because something goes badly wrong with your drawing, don't panic but stop and give it some thought to see if you can't rescue it. Sometimes you can ...
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2018, 03:36 PM
Northern California Coast

Hails from United States

Where can the sketchbooks thread be found? Is it in illustration?
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2018, 03:47 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmoshpere74
Where can the sketchbooks thread be found? Is it in illustration?
It's a sticky in D&S ... here.