WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2017, 08:58 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States
Re: Encouraging Beginning Drawers

That's very true. I stopped drawing for a number of years because I felt somehow compelled to draw and that robbed the enjoyment. So, rather than force myself, I just took a break. I am getting the urge to draw again but since my cats won't pose and not move for 120 hours I am taking photos in the hope that at least 1 would be good enough to use. People are much easier in that sense but the actual drawing of cats I find quite a bit easier and more interesting than doing humans.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2017, 11:42 AM

This is a great thread. Both the encouragements and the tips. I love seeing the beginning and current work. I hope people will keep posting.

I use photos too. Partly because I'm a retired photographer and have a ton. lol But also, for some reason I have a hard time at this stage, translating real life (say sitting outside and sketching) to the paper. Hopefully that will come with time and more lessons.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2017, 12:52 AM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

I'm bumping this up in case anyone else wants to participate ...
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2017, 04:20 PM

I'm not sure i have the experience to be commenting on this type of topic.
I picked up a pencil for the first time four months ago.
Here's some of my progress. A selection of self portraits
Attached Images

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2017, 07:07 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

The reason I started this thread was to help new drawers to realize that progress CAN be made and all it takes is some perseverance with practice. So anyone with even a little experience can be encouraging. Any level of skill can help folks see that it's not a magic sort of thing ...

Make sure you keep your early drawings because they will encourage you more than you realize in the future. We all reach plateaus where we think we'll never get better and we also don't think we're where we ought to be. When those days come, pull out the old, early drawings and you'll be amazed at how far you actually have come!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2017, 07:11 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

I'm thinking about making this thread a sticky so it's always at the top part of the thread list where any newbies can peek in and hopefully get some encouragement. But it all depends of the level of participation ... there isn't much point in it if only a few folks post.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2017, 10:53 AM

Here is showing the progress I made over the past 20 years. Like many of you I also skipped many years of not drawing.

The first drawing i did in 1993 with regular HB pencil on copy-machine paper! Didnt know anything about acid-free paper etc...hence the nice yellow color of the paper. The amazing thing is I still have this original drawing in my archives and it is a priceless possession. Can you guess who the actor is?

The second drawing of Monroe I did last year. First lesson learned is that besides good quality paper and tools...it took me probably 30 more hours to finish the second drawing.

Hope this encourages ya'll.

Pastel and Drawing Tutorials: http://www.woodenpalette.com
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenpalette
Here is showing the progress I made over the past 20 years. Like many of you I also skipped many years of not drawing.

The first drawing i did in 1993 with regular HB pencil on copy-machine paper! Didnt know anything about acid-free paper etc...hence the nice yellow color of the paper. The amazing thing is I still have this original drawing in my archives and it is a priceless possession. Can you guess who the actor is?

The second drawing of Monroe I did last year. First lesson learned is that besides good quality paper and tools...it took me probably 30 more hours to finish the second drawing.

Hope this encourages ya'll.

I've already commented on your other thread on how amazing that Monroe drawing is so I'll just address something that seems to be a common theme I'm seeing from people who've really pursued their art.

Yesterday I heard two other artists state the same thing, that inexperienced artists often quit too soon and call their drawing/painting etc. done when it's not actually done. Your 30 or more hours reminded me of those comments. I can see where there would be a lot of learning in-between pushing something too hard/far and ruining it and the ending of the drawing too soon. I find myself in the latter category still. Knowing it's unfinished but not skilled enough to know where/why. Still, I'm glad you brought this up because it's something I'd not even considered until the last few days and is a good encouragement to remember.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2017, 05:35 PM
Over your shoulder

Hails from United States

There is a certain amount of boredom inherent in every drawing ... places where you are tempted to rush because they just aren't very interesting to draw. This is a huge mistake because that rushing will show in the end. And it will always be there to remind you of your impatience whenever you look at the drawing. In addition experienced artists will also see it for what it is. The way I look at it all is this. A drawing is nothing more than making marks and shapes on a piece of paper. In light of that, what is the hurry? All I will do if I hurry is to put that drawing on the "finished" pile, get another sheet of paper, and make marks and shapes on that. Different marks and shapes of course, but still the same basic thing. So why hurry?

I also agree with artists sometimes stopping their work too soon. I often see work here and elsewhere that could be outstanding but for the artist stopping too soon and not getting the most from the work. There is always a risk of overworking the drawing but I don't think that happens as often as many fear.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2017, 04:33 PM

Hails from United States

There's about a year and a half in between these two:

I've lost a lot of ground as far as drawing ability since the time of the second drawing. A couple of years ago I broke my wrist, and recovering my hand strength has been maddeningly slow. It's coming back, though. I don't draw in pencil much anymore other than preliminary sketches since it's much harder for me, but I can manage Micron pens and have been experimenting with dip pens.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-25-2017, 08:45 AM
Edinburgh, Scotland

Hails from Scotland

This is a first class post and everything a beginner would need/want to know is here within, thanks to everyone who posted here. 👍
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2017, 10:22 AM
Poland

Hails from Poland

Dolores from The Cranberries - left 2005 / right 2012

Facebook page: www.facebook.com/swistak.art
My website: www.krzysztofswistak.pl
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2017, 04:04 AM

I like this thread idea. I often tell people that say "i cant even draw a straight line" that all it takes is knoladge of techniques, process, and a willingness to spend the time nessisary, and there arent usually any lines in a realistic drawing anyway much less straight ones lol.

I think allot of people arent aware of just how long it takes.to complete a highly finished realistic drawing, and as people have said they quit before there drawing is somethijg their satsfied with.

I will try to find an old hand drawing of mine because they were terrible lol, but these will do for now. both done around the same time actually,.one i just spent the nessisary time.on and had a photo referance,.the other was a quick drawing.both about 4x6" and graphite, the more finished one is on mylar the other on paper.

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2017, 01:33 PM

I don't know if you guys saw this, but it's called "draw this again" and it's artists who recreate some of their first drawings. Their progress is really incredible in (some cases) such a short time. It's evident that they practice a great deal.

Draw Me Again
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2017, 12:05 AM
Enthusiast
Woburn, Massachusetts

Hails from United States

This is a great post, love seeing the differences from the beginning to now...everyone has done amazing work. I thought I would share one of my beginning portraits and some of my latest drawings.

The first drawing is supposed to be Catherine Zeta Jones, I see so many opportunities to make it better.

The four drawings after are my most recent portraits.

Thanks,
Ricky
Attached Images