WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Studio
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#151   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2014, 12:04 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: A59 Project

I thought you might be interested in seeing a photo of the canal rally in 1975. There were many boats on the other side of the bridge behind the camera. The RN canal fleet boats are in the foreground. Over 3,000 people visited the "submarine" that weekend.

Doug
  #152   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2014, 01:33 PM
WC! Guide
Michigan

Hails from United States

Wonderful Mill, those reflections are amazing, Doug. I love that you put a canal boat in the picture along with some figures. Nice, clean and nicely detailed painting.

Darla
  #153   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2014, 01:37 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Thanks Darla, it needs a few touches. The reflection of the bridge is too dark and could be wider, the reflection of the side of the mill needs a few indications of windows etc.

Doug
  #154   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2014, 05:03 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

This is a fine piece, Doug! I always enjoy the crispness of your line work. I don't think the bridge reflection is too dark, but agree that a few window reflections from the mill would work. The 1975 photo is fun...

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #155   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2014, 05:09 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Thanks Char, it is amazing how posting your painting here allows you to look at it more critically. I think the darks are too dark throughout.

Doug
  #156   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2014, 05:34 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Comox, BC Canada

Hails from Canada

Nice one, Doug! I am amazed that you can get such straight true lines on that rough paper. Loved the old photo too - what a treat!
Click Here for my Website
  #157   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2014, 08:50 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

No.14 - Lathom Park Chapel, Burscough

History:
Quote:
LATHOM PARK CHAPEL of ST JOHN THE DIVINE

In April 1500 a Chantry was founded in Lathom Park by Thomas Stanley, the first Earl of Derby.

A Chantry was a place where Masses were recited at an altar for the wellbeing of the founder during his lifetime and for his soul after his death. Where a Chantry formed a separate Chapel, as at Lathom, there were often Almshouses or a hospital attached. In this was housed and cared for a number of poor men or bedesmen to whom the Chantry Priest was Chaplain. The bedesmen’s duties were to attend church daily to pray for the soul of their benefactor.

Its history up to 1924 was much involved with the families of the Stanleys (Earls of Derby) and later the Bootle Wilbrahams (Earls of Lathom and Lord Skelmersdale). Since 1924 it has been attached to the parish of Ormskirk.

The chapel has lovely windows and carvings The screen came from the dissolution of Burscough Priory under Henry V111 and is scarred with what are said to be bullet holes made by Roundhead muskets during the English Civil War(1642 – 1646)

The Chapel is set in pretty and well tended gardens. Outside it also has a burial vault within railings.

Sited near the entrance to Lathom House, now sadly reduced to one wing and converted to living accommodation. The attached alms houses are still occupied.

My photo:

My painting - 1/8 sheet on Saunders Waterford 200lb rough:

Doug
  #158   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2014, 01:43 AM
Comox, BC Canada

Hails from Canada

This looks great! I love how you managed the big window. And the stones and roof look good. I'll be back tomorrow for more!
  #159   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2014, 08:13 AM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

Excellent! You absolutely nailed this one! Nice amount of detail without "painting every brick"!!! I love the iron fence.

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #160   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2014, 09:08 AM
A WC! Legend
Australia

I really like your clouds.

I know darker shadows are nerve wracking, but they make or break a painting. It is the lighter ones that don't work so well. Be brave, you will really love yourself for it.
  #161   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2014, 11:54 AM
WC! Guide
Michigan

Hails from United States

Lathom Park Chapel is an interesting building Doug. I like the angle of your painting and I agree that you used just enough detail. Your wrought iron fence is great!

Darla
  #162   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2014, 12:26 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

No.15 - Martin Mere Wildfowl Reserve, Burscough

Wikipedia:
Quote:
Martin Mere was formed at the end of the last Ice Age, when water filled a depression in the glacial drift. Since then its size has varied as water levels have risen and fallen. The original giant lake can be seen on Christopher Saxton's map from 1579 and stretched from Rufford in the east, to Churchtown (then known as North Meols) in the west. To the north of the lake were the villages of Mere Brow and Holmeswood, the site of Holmeswood Hall, built by the Heskeths as a hunting lodge. South of the lake was the Scarisbrick Hall estate

Martin Mere at Burscough was purchased by the Wildfowl Trust and flooded to make a reserve which attracts countless thousands of migrating swans and other wildfowl and has an enormous collection of wildfowl from all over the world including a thriving colony of Flamingos. The Visitor Centre is an unusual log building with a grass roof and a distinctive spire on the roof which is lit at night to guide in the birds. I cut the first turf for the Education wing on the left in 1990 when I was chairman of the council.

My painting is a dual composition showing the Visitor centre and the Mere behind - 1/8 sheet on Saunders Waterford 200lb rough:

Next painting is Rufford Old Hall

Doug
  #163   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2014, 01:38 PM
A WC! Legend
In the middle of Michigan's thumb

Hails from United States

Love the way you did the waterfowl, Doug.
Bill

#164   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2014, 08:03 PM
A WC! Legend
Australia

This one is super Doug!!
  #165   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Comox, BC Canada

Hails from Canada

Love it. I bet it gets noisy at the lake with all those birds! Do you have a photo of this? I'd like to see the log building with the grass roof!