WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Figure, The
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2019, 10:41 AM
WC! Guide

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter a mishmash from the last couple of weeks

I'm assured from the new organiser of the group I attend that we will be seeing more females in the future but as we reach the end of this term, the future seems a long way off. I'd like to see a much better balance but the term has been very useful because the male figure, to me at least, is way more difficult to draw and presents a bigger challenge.

Yesterday's session had some excitement. I finally decided to start using an easel and standing to draw, something I should have done a long time ago, but half way through one drawing the easel crashed to floor into the posing space ( I hadn't adjusted the legs properly). The model was in the middle of a one legged pose and to his credit, he didnt flinch

There's one more session to go and then it's the long summer recess - hopefully my partner will be back on modelling duty

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2019, 12:24 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
East of Eden

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: a mishmash from the last couple of weeks

The first and last 15 minute poses are stellar, great job!

On the shorter poses, the strongest ones for me are the ones with big sweeping curves, they do a lot to unify the forms.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2019, 12:33 PM
WC! Guide

Re: a mishmash from the last couple of weeks

Thanks llawrence, I dont know about stellar but I was pleased with those. I agree on the shorter, making the mark first time is always better
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2019, 04:29 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

These have a spare, un-fussy look to them- great work! (except for the easel-issue!)
I regularly drop the bottom ledge from my metal easel to the floor when adjusting. If I miss my foot- it's a win!

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2019, 05:23 AM
WC! Guide

Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: a mishmash from the last couple of weeks

Thanks Bethany for the compliment ☺️ I have adjusted the easel so it can't open up too far and should fit the table a bit better now. Doesn't your ledge tighten up? I bought mine a couple of years ago for table top use but it got put aside as I have a much more stable wooden one in the studio. Always avoided using it for the group as it's fiddly but it's now set permantly so that I can carry it with an A3 board attached. Fingers crossed for tonight 😉
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2019, 09:17 AM
WC! Guide

This is the easel that collapsed on me Hopefully, now I've tethered the back leg it will fit on the desk tonight. I can use it with leg extended for standing or retract for sitting. The second leg extension is totally useless, it wobbles all over the place. They can be bought in England for around £7. With all legs retracted I can carry it with the drawing board and paper attached. With the weather a little inclement in the UK right now I cover it with a large plastic bag

Last edited by DavidHH : 06-13-2019 at 09:32 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2019, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

David These look real good to me, especially the longer poses.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2019, 10:10 AM
WC! Guide

Thanks Boogie
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 01:01 AM
A Local Legend
Gretton

Hails from United Kingdom

I agree with Louis about the 15 minute poses. Stellar is a good word and appropriate here. I will appropriate it and use it elsewhere.....
All good though. You area progressing all the time.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 05:43 AM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

This is similar to my easel. It was quite expensive when I bought it almost 20 years ago- but I use it almost every day. It is big enough to hold my big board and light enough for me to carry in one hand along with my drawing/painting materials bag in the other hand.
Everything is adjustable with a wing-nut and when I don't tighten the bottom shelf- it drops with a clang.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 09:13 AM
WC! Guide

I think yours is a little superior to mine Bethany, I can't see mine lasting that long 😊
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 09:16 AM
WC! Guide

Thanks Harry, I think I've climbed a small hill but a few mountains still await 😏
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2019, 05:15 PM
Hawkesbury, west of Sydney

Hails from Australia

David I think your drawings are coming on delightfully, nice sensitive work, and I'm looking forward to the future when female models finally turn up in your area!

I have an easel similar to Bethany's which I carry to every life drawing group, they are light and versatile. I actually have two as mine disappeared for a while and I had to search online for something similar... then my old one turned up again (in the boot of my wife's car)

Mac
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2019, 10:03 AM

I like all of them David, thanks for posting them,
they all deserve it but the last one personally is a design that I really like and frame .