WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Marine Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2019, 02:07 PM
Pennsylvania Dutch Country

Hails from United States
RMS 'Persia' - Cunnard Paddle Liner, 1863

Haven't posted here since 2006 ... gave up painting about eleven years ago.

Got the bug again lately and have started again. No question about it,
there's truth in the saying 'use it or loose it'. I've lost it for sure but
I figure it will come back to me if I keep working at it.

Here's one I did just prior to quitting. It's a small painting, oil on a gessoed
1/8" masonite panel. It's 4-1/2" x 8-1/2". I've always painted small pieces
but I'm going to go bigger this time around ... like maybe an 8" x 10"

If I get my chops back, I'll join you all again. Cheers, Dave

Can't figure out this picture size thing ... The photo that got posted is actually bigger than my painting" ... at least it is on my computer screen
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2019, 02:29 PM
Lord of the Arts
Greenfield, Massachusetts

Hails from United States
Re: RMS 'Persia' - Cunnard Paddle Liner, 1863

If this is you "losing it" I look forward to seeing the better works develop!

Thomas
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2019, 02:50 PM

Hails from United States

No, No, this is a painting I did just before I quit ... I couldn't do this again, right now. I'm lucky I can remember which end of the brush to stick in the paint.

I posted it here as part of my artistic rejuvenation ... engaging and talking about painting with other painters is stimulating. I always got a lot out of WC
when I was active before. As a self-taught painter I've learned so much from
many of the artist's here who were kind enough to help me solve some problems. It was always a good community for new painters. I hope it still is.

Dave
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2019, 03:53 PM
A WC! Legend
Auchtermuchty Fife Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Lovely painting. Very reminiscent of the 'Pier Head' artists of the late 19th /early 20th century. They would paint the ship, then try to sell it to the Captain. Sorry I can’t give you any advice, but looking at this, you just need to chip away some of the rust and slap on some more paint!.
Jim
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2019, 05:10 PM

Hails from United States

Vegaskip ... Thanks, Jim. High praise, indeed, from who I consider to be the best marine artist on the site. I've been lurking here for the past month and have gone back and looked at possibly every painting you've ever posted. I am astounded by your talent and knowledge of naval history.

I very familiar with the type of artists you refer to. Here in the States, we had similar artists who painted in this manner. Foremost among them was Antonio Jacobsen who literally painted a couple of thousand of these ship portraits.

Before I retired, and started painting myself, I was a full time fine art dealer with a prominent gallery in the metro New York area. I was fortunate during
those years, to have had several Jacobsens pass through my hands. I've always had a special love of the sea and maritime art in general.

While I wouldn't have the audacity to call myself a marine artist, I still like to have a go at painting ships. I just love the subject. I can't wait now, to get back at it.

Cheers, Dave
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2019, 04:26 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Glad you got back to painting. The maximum size for pictures is 800x800 pixels or usually 800x600 for landscape format, but for miniatures if you size them at 100 pixels per inch they will appear more or less original size on screen. 850x450 would be the size but you would have to reduce that proportionally.

Doug
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2019, 05:47 AM
A WC! Legend
Auchtermuchty Fife Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picqwik
Vegaskip ... Thanks, Jim. High praise, indeed, from who I consider to be the best marine artist on the site. I've been lurking here for the past month and have gone back and looked at possibly every painting you've ever posted. I am astounded by your talent and knowledge of naval history.

I very familiar with the type of artists you refer to. Here in the States, we had similar artists who painted in this manner. Foremost among them was Antonio Jacobsen who literally painted a couple of thousand of these ship portraits.

Before I retired, and started painting myself, I was a full time fine art dealer with a prominent gallery in the metro New York area. I was fortunate during
those years, to have had several Jacobsens pass through my hands. I've always had a special love of the sea and maritime art in general.

While I wouldn't have the audacity to call myself a marine artist, I still like to have a go at painting ships. I just love the subject. I can't wait now, to get back at it.

Cheers, Dave

Thank you Dave, praise indeed, but I wouldn’t go that far. I enjoy what I do and that is half the battle. 2017 I did the cover and some illustrations for a book 'Liberty’s War'. The US Merchant Marine Academy Museum acquired the cover painting and arranged for me to attend the Book Launch at the Academy on Long Island NY. My son and I had four days there and Manhattan and I had a quick 'whizz' round the 'Met'.
If you want to see one of my paintings 'live' the USMMA Museum is where you will find one. Well worth a visit, they have a terrific collection of 'Ship Paintings' and other stuff, and the setting is magnificent.
Jim

At the Book Launch
Name:  30943148-66EE-4526-8690-349B72E3F09A.jpeg
Views: 86
Size:  100.3 KB

Last edited by vegaskip : 04-28-2019 at 05:49 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2019, 05:57 AM
Lord of the Arts

Welcome back to marine painting Dave,lovely past painting of yours especially for such a small scale,looking forward to your future work.
Dave
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2019, 01:06 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada

Welcome back!