Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Latex Free Masking Fluid Found!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    grisbear

A year or so ago, I came here asking if anyone knew of latex free masking fluid. No one did at the time, but many alternative suggestions were floated. Since then, I have found TWO options and I wanted to share!

The first, is “Molotow Grafx Art Masking Liquid Pump Markers” This, though, seems to only come in marker form. I’ve not confirmed its latex-free status with their customer support team, but it is marked as latex-free on its packaging and marketing materials. Because it comes only in a marker form, this may limit it from performing very thin lines.

The other is actually the common and well-known Pebeo brand! There are two types of Pebeo masking fuild, one is made with latex and one is latex free. Thus, not all Pebeo is latex free! It seems like the “artist” quality is latex, and the “student” quality is latex free. I was confused as to why some Pebeo was marketed as “rubber based” (aka latex allergy triggering) and others was marketed as “latex-free synthetic” so I reached out to their customer service team, who gave an incredibly detailed guide on how to tell whether you’re picking up their latex or latex-free variety. I already ran it past them that I can post this, so just copying and pasting here:

========================================
        Indeed there are 2 formulas of Pebeo Drawing gum on the market.

To make sure what type of drawing gum you have please refer to the ACMI SEAL and item reference number on it.
        Now if you need a drawing gum which is latex free , you need the AP seal type.

· Traditional formula, with natural latex. _ Used to look grey ( but the latest productions are now blue as well) , The color have change recently without altering the active formula. So you may still find the two colors on the market.
        o CL seal, with skin irritant warning, on the front of the label .
        o 45ml item #033000CAN, bar code # 3167860072107.
        o 250ml item #372000CAN, bar code # 3167860072411.

· Low odor formula, with synthetic latex. Looks BLUE as well
        o AP seal, non-toxic.
        o 45ml item # 033000, bar code # 3167860330009.
        o 250ml item # 372000, bar code # 3167863720005.

The Drawing gum latex free ( synthethic formula ) is non allergenic, and AP rated under the Lhama CPSIA norm ASTM D-4236. This formula is very convenient for non adult users, as elementary schools students….as many children are sensible to latex these years! ( and Adults presenting a latex allergy) This NEW formula does not contain any natural latex.

As for the Drawing GUM ‘professional’, based on LATEX, this is the ‘adult users version’ which is skin irritant and therefore CL rated under the Lhama CPSIA norm ASTM D-4236. But is tremendously appreciated by artist and art teachers for adult classes for the perfect results it offers.
        http://acminet.org/staging/images/Look%20for%20these%20seals%202.png

Read more about the certifications AP and CL at this link.

http://www.acminet.org/

So when you pick your bottles yourself on a store shelf, you can know which is which.
        And for the USA retailers ordering to us, the reference number is different one from the other, so it is easy to make the distinction between the two for them.
        ====================================

I know latex allergies aren’t quite as common today as they were in the 70s when nurses were having to wear latex all the time, but I wanted to post this in the hopes that it’ll come up when another person is trying to track down latex free masking fluid. :)

I’m gonna grab some Pebeo this weekend (it’s cheaper and I am cheeaaap) and I’ll try to do some tests on it, since it’s “student grade”. I don’t have nice paper, just using Strathmore 300, but if it’s good on that it should be good on most papers people are using. :)

ArtL

I just looked at a bottle of 45ml Pebeo that I bought from Dick Blick about a month ago. On the label, it warns that it contains natural rubber latex, and the bar code matches what you have posted. It is colored blue. I looked on the Dick Blick website, they they only show this type of masking fluid in the two sizes and not the latex free stuff.

Fortunately, I’ve never been bothered by latex.

Art

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ...Benjamin Franklin

janinco

I thought I had responded to a question about it last year and found this post:
                https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21063565#post21063565

I am very sensitive to latex but do fine with the Pebeo blue student formula. I flip the bottle every couple of weeks to keep the air pocket from getting webs.

Wish.com has some great prices on the silicone shapers used for clay sculpting. I got a couple of different sets for $3 each (included shipping). They work great with masking fluid and you don’t have to worry about ruining a brush.

Jan

Jan, I store my masking fluid upside down to help keep it soft and fluid.

I use the Incredible White Mask which does have latex.

Sylvia

contumacious

I have both the original latex and the synthetic (student) Pebeo fluids. I prefer the synthetic. It goes on smoother for me, comes off easier, no stink and a hair dryer doesn’t seem to bother it as much as the latex ones.

Cathart

Where do you get the synthetic? I am a latex sensitive retired nurse and am so glad to know about this.

Thanks
                        Cathart.

Cathart

janinco

The latex-free can be hard to find. This is the listing on Amazon, but it ships from the UK:
                            https://www.amazon.com/Pebeo-Drawing-Gum-45ml-Synthetic/dp/B01I3G8VPS/ref=sr_1_2?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1506157652&sr=1-2&keywords=latex+free+pebeo

I found it at a local art supply store, but they got it accidentally instead of the regular latex version. Many of the online stores don’t carry it.

Jan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.