Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Spinning

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Humburger

I have been looking in here on the fiber arts forum for a while. I have been crocheting and knitting since I was six years old (almost 50 years, now…) and have been sewing since I was 13 and have been spinning and weaving for more than 20 years. I am spinning for a weaving project right now. I am using white wool and black alpaca. I thought I would share a photo of my wheel, named Clara.

Here are some past projects:

I am no expert, I just enjoy it.

Ginny
        www.virginiacmccoy.com
        C & C Welcome

Debby

Welcome to Fiber Arts. :wave:

Your wheel is beautiful. So is the dog. :) Lovely knitted items. You are so talented.

Debby
            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Welcome! Such fun to find another spinner. I am also – not a weaver, though. But like you I knit.

Very well done projects. I can guess that you spin a consistent single – looks like it from your knitting.

What is the weaving project?

Jen

Jennifer Landau
            Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Humburger

Thank you, Debby.

Jen, thanks for the welcome. 😊. No, I don’t normally spin a consistent yarn, but that hat turned out particularly well. I am in the planning stages of a handwoven vest/tunic. I am dying to weave my own clothing! LOL! I think I will have to buy the warp thread, though. I have a 32 inch Ashford rigid heddle loom.

Ginny
                www.virginiacmccoy.com
                C & C Welcome

Clara is lovely as is the shepherd!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                Find me on Instagram
                Find me on Facebook

Lovely. Very creative.

Penny
                I live in Wiltshire, England
                “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Inspired21

Hi, Ginny,
                    I just received my Ashford Rigid Heddle 32” yesterday. I cannot wait to play with her. Your Clara is beautiful!

Lena

I used to spin. Until I got really allergic to wool at menopause. I used it for tapestry weaving.
                        That is some nice spinning and a lovely wheel.

Doll Art by Lena

Listener

You ever spin the dog’s undercoat? I kept threatening to learn to spin just so I could spin off my white shepherd’s fluff. I remember every week on brushing day, it looked like snow in patches all over the yard.
                            I miss that dog.

Yes, I know of those who do! Though I have heard that yarn made from a dog’s coat will still smell doggy when wet – even if it has very impeccably scoured before spinning. A member of my spinning guild unfortunately felted about half of what she had saved from her dog to spin in her effort to get it really clean!!!!

Jennifer Landau
                            Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Lena

Mohair does the same, the mohair and silk shawl I just blocked smelled rank when it was wet. It is fine when dry.

Doll Art by Lena

You know, you are right. I’ve noticed the smell when working with mohair!

Jennifer Landau

Very interesting to see. I think you spinners and dyers are clever.

Penny
                                I live in Wiltshire, England
                                “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.