Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Stitch in Time July 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Lena

Happy Canada Day! :clap: :clap: :clap:

It is July and I have to get my act together and book flights for the wedding…..

And I need a dress, one lace shrug is not going to cut it.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Thanks for starting the Stitch, Lena. Definitely need a new dress for the wedding. Are you going to shop or make it?

Well, DH convinced me to move things so that mom can get around the house without tripping. She has clean sheets on her bed, and the A/C in the window. She can get to the basics in the kitchen to cook food. We will go out there on DH’s next off day after she arrives and let her tell us where she wants things to be put away. He said it made no sense to put things away only to have her complain and have to do the work twice.

Then, he told me he was going to be an a**hole and insist I not have contact with her for a week. All those childhood emotions are wrecking me and in turn our relationship. I don’t know how she’s going to take it, but I sent her a text telling her I was taking a sabbatical and gave her a method of contacting us in an emergency. We’ll see if this works to give me some space from her.

Debby
            Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Thoughts to you, Debby, on getting it peaceful to live with your mom. Sounds hard.

I am plugging away at getting the 2 Romney fleeces clean. One done and sorted, the second drying.

I have been working on a fleece I ordered, which ended up having scurf. This is a mite, which causes what looks like dandruff in a fleece. I have to hand it to the farm from which I bought it – they reimbursed me a significant amount, and were truly appreciative of me letting them know of the problem so that they could address it in their herd. This is something that is VERY hard to see until a fleece is washed. However, I am able, with much elbow grease, to get it out. And the yarn it is giving me is lovely.

Off for the next week to the mountains, and to Convergence, the annual conference for the National Handweavers Guild. Taking two workshops, and participating in the Sheep to Shawl competition.

Jen

Jennifer Landau
            Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Debby

Jen, have fun at the mountains and Convergence. You’ll have to show us the results of the competition.

Mom took the sabbatical well so far. I’m still working thru things.

Debby
                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

My flight is booked. There was a seat sale on for the Canada day weekend.

I am totally unsure about the dress. I want to make it but I also know that I was completely incapable of getting my act together for the last few months. I think I will go shopping instead.

I have 4 purple pansies knitted and now to finish them off.

Doll Art by Lena

shopping sounds GREAT!

Jennifer Landau
                    Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Debby

Lena, great you got a good deal for your flight. Nothing wrong with shopping. Yay for purple pansies. :)

Hi Jen. :wave:

Still thinking…

Debby
                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

What amazing trash they carry in stores! I am seriously disgusted to be asked to pay $100 for a few yards of badly fitting cheap polyester!:(

I tried online. I found Holy clothing which had nice stuff but the colours and size mean there is a 60 day wait time. To assuage the pain I bought some other stuff, 2 tops and a pair of purple harem pants…….

I will try some more tomorrow but I think I may be making something after all.

Doll Art by Lena

Lena

I am thinking maybe I will go to Ikea, buy some curtains or sheets and staple them together at the shoulders….

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, sorry you are having such trouble finding a dress you like. I take it a trip to the fabric store was less than satisfactory as well? I wish you the best finding something.

I have carefully started communicating with the outside world again. Mostly I was hoping mom’s doctor appointment ended with him recommending she not travel. Unfortunately, he approved her traveling even tho’ she is still in pain from her last injury. *sigh*

Debby
                                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

I don’t want to sew it. I have all sorts of fabric. I am in the “cut off the nose” phase of life.

Here are some pansies. In real life they are more burgundy in colour.

Doll Art by Lena

Lena

The purple pants and the 2 tops arrived. They fit beautifully and look nice. Maybe I will save them for the wedding.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, the flowers look great. Your daughter should be pleased. If the clothing fits and looks nice, why not wear them to the wedding. That’s sorted. Now you can focus on other things that are less stressful.

I’ve been having long involved heart to heart talks with DH. I told him I was envious of people who seem to have that one thing that they do really, really well. They work hard and become brilliant at it. I’m all over the map. I have several things I do well enough. I just keep drifting from one to the other and master none of them. At the same time, I don’t want to limit myself because then I feel like I’ll miss out on the all the things there are to explore and do.

Debby
                                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

I’m all over the map. I have several things I do well enough.

Welcome to the club Debbie!:grouphug:

I have had the same problem all my life. At one point I was doing massage, writing software and making dolls and giving classes, all at the same time. All the self help books, the marketing books and so on said that was a no no. You are supposed to focus on one thing exclusively. What a bore that would be.

There have been times in my life when I focused on one thing. Well sort off there were always hobbies, politics or family life too, it was just that for making money there was one focus. Usually it was software which was also constantly changing and challenging so I didn’t get bored with it and of course a fairly big paycheck.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, sounds like a really interesting life. This is what I mean. I would feel cheated if I exclusively focused on one thing. What about all the things? :D

So all the things… I do sewing, of course. I can make a killer caramel candy, plus some other types of candy. I have designed stuffed toys, first teddy bears, then the current batch of critters, now working on dolls. I can make bound books. I can embroider. I have been a game master for role playing games. I was a mechanical designer designing machines for various industries. I am a beginner, but getting better at colored pencil art. I have designed and sewn up clothing and costumes. My wrists can’t take it anymore, but I was a really good flute player. Again with the wrists, I used to play folk guitar and sing. I’ve done needle felting. I tried my hand at card weaving. And the list goes on. I find myself getting bored and the next thing I know… “oooh, shiny!” :lol:

I was getting frustrated with the doll. I still want to create that base pattern so I know how to put them together. The original intent was to add fae dolls to my shop. I’d still like to do that. I don’t have to make a ton of money at this. And, I was working on it. Only with the daily mom phone call, I was getting “And how’s the doll coming along?” I felt like I had a job and had to report progress in the daily meeting. Ugh! It made me feel like it wasn’t my project anymore. So, I quit talking to mom for several days. Started doing some questioning about what I was doing and where I was going. And realized as mentioned, I’m all over the map and focusing on one thing to the exclusion of all the others just isn’t going to work. So, the doll will take as long as it takes to be complete. In the meantime, there are new tin whistles to play, new Native American style flutes to learn, colored pencils to play with, watercolor paint to play with and so forth.

Debby
                                                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.