WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:40 PM
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States
Re: Mission San Xavier del Bac - input requested

I think this painting is fantastically done. Your color is well-balanced, and everything is well-rendered. I'd be proud of doing such a good job.

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing another take on the same subject. Maybe try something more along the impressionist line, using short strokes of color, using complements to make things vibrate.

A tip I've found useful is to not only use complements in areas of shadow, but to pay attention to the temperature of your colors as well. Warmer highlights should be contrasted with cooler shadows and vice-versa. When I've remembered to pay attention to this, it's worked quite well.

One thing that might be making you feel "blah" about this painting - and I want to stress that I think it's great, definitely a few notches above what I'm capable of turning out - is the composition overall. I agree with ColinS in that if you approach the subject again, try for another angle or a way to break up the lines formed by your color masses on the canvas. A different angle will introduce diagonals and dynamism to the picture.

Really great stuff, thanks for sharing this!
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:41 PM
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

Oops your response was posted while I was writing mine...sorry if I sound like I'm reiterating advice you've already taken!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2019, 08:55 PM

Thank you, sykirobme. The more I look at my painting, the more I see how a different angle would have been better! I need to stop looking at it! Aaaagghhh!