WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2018, 07:27 PM
Missouri USA

Hails from United States
How to repair a damaged canvas

How do you repair a hole in a canvas? or what is the best practice to do so. I was given a Giant canvas. its like 5'x6' or something. But there is a hole in it.
Comments and Criticism always welcome!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:29 PM

Re: How to repair a damaged canvas

needle and thread?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2018, 05:06 PM
Missouri USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by kin3
needle and thread?

Thats what i was thinking. I wasn't sure if that is the way to go. Maybe a patch on the back if the hole doesn't come together.
Comments and Criticism always welcome!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2018, 02:15 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

ragged hole?
pencil poke hole?
shot gun hole?
cannon?

a canvas patch is better than a plaster patch or if it's a tiny hole you might get away with using gesso.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2018, 11:57 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

I'd say to glue a patch on the back, then fill in any jagged/broken paint. As far as "glue" something archival, but I don't see why you could not use something like epoxy. The paint layer on front would not allow it to go through. I have done some epoxy resin and acrylic on canvas paintings and they don't look bad after a few years. But if this is museum grade stuff you should speak to an art conservationist.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2018, 01:08 PM

I have made iron-on patches using these instructions I got from a conservator years ago. Beeswax mixed with Pine Rosin with a little Larch turpentine. Melt 1/4 cup beeswax approx 170F and slowly add 1/4 cup pine rosin letting it dissolve/melt between additions, once rosin is incorporated add approximately 1 tsp of larch turpentine and mix well. Brush mixture on raw canvas and allow to cool. You can store these for years. I layered between plastic sheeting to avoid sticking. Cut patches to size larger than hole. With canvas face down on several layers of brown paper and with patch covered with brown paper use a medium iron to adhere patch to canvas. Keep replacing brown paper until no trace of oily residue soaks through. Allow to cool and you can touch up front of canvas with oil or acrylics. I used a small self contained wax melter from Michael's craft store, this does not clean up well.

Last edited by Mach5 : 12-10-2018 at 01:14 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2018, 08:22 PM
Lord of the Arts

If you don't need it to be reversible, any durable and flexible, archival adhesive material will work. Acrylic Medium, PVA glue etc.

If you want it reversible, which it doesn't sound like you do, a heat activated film or liquid is what to use, such as Beva 371. I would use Beva regardless of whether I wanted it reversible or not since I already have some and it is very easy to work with. If I didn't I would be using an acrylic medium with a canvas patch on the back, coating the back of the canvas and both sides and edges of the patch. Then filling in any ragged edges on the front with gesso once it has dried for at least 24 hours.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2018, 08:51 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

I once repaired an L-shaped tear in a canvas of about 1 inch x 1 inch.

I followed that which someone recommended:

1) . I purchased some acrylic matte medium.

2) . I cut a piece of raw canvas an inch or two larger than the tear. I cut it square, and then I unraveled a lot of threads from its weave, on all 4 sides. This helps to prevent the patch from telegraphing its volume through to the front.

3) . I coated the prepared canvas patch generously with acrylic matte medium, and then I applied it to the back of the canvas, being careful to squeeze out any bubbles, and excess medium. I smoothed out the unravelled threads carefully putting them in their exact positions as best I could.

4) . While that acrylic medium was still wet, I dealt with the front side of the canvas, by taking a needle, and straightening out the threads of the tear, and generally evening it out, so it appeared uniform, with little or no gap where the actual tear was. I pressed the frayed edges well into the matte medium of the patch from the front.

5) . After that was all dry, I applied paint to the front, being careful to fill the gap, or gaps that the tear had created, and being careful to match the existing colors of the painting.

It worked for me, and I eventually sold the painting to a person who loved it. I had explained the tear, and showed her how I had patched it. Of course I sold it at a discounted price, as I did not know how well it would hold up in years to come.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2019, 10:44 PM

just don't fall to the deck when you're patching that mainsail