WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Scratchboard Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2018, 10:45 AM
California

Hails from United States
Scratch paper recommendation

I'm totally new to scratch art and would love to try it out. Being new, I would like to try papers for pactice instead of the more expensive boards. I don't see many low cost options, however, that are not pre-printed with a design.

Is there a scratch paper brand you would recommend? Thus far I have found the Melissa and Doug brand on Amazon. Any thoughts on that one?

Also looking at metal tools, not the wooden stylus. Those are pretty basic and I don't know if there's much of a difference between brands.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Jeanette
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-26-2018, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
NSW Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Scratch paper recommendation

I have only done two scratch artworks both were on Ampersand scratchboard so I have no advice for paper. For tools I only used the pointed knife tool you can do a lot with just that one tool.

I'd recommend the same way I started a 3pk of Ampersand scratchbord in 6x6 and a single pointed knife. I think there would be a high chance of getting frustrated with paper or cheaper quality boards.

I would also recommend picking a subject with a lot of contrast and interesting light and just jumping right in no practice lines or boards.

Here are my first two attempts 1) tiger 2) owl both done on 6x6 boards with the tool you see on the owl board being the only tool I used.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2018, 02:24 AM
California

Hails from United States
Re: Scratch paper recommendation

Wow, those are awesome. I guess it makes sense that the rule that applies to other mediums applies to this one - start with good quality materials to really see what it can do.

I'll grab a few smaller boards to start. I think Blicks carries Ampersand in store. Thanks.