Home Forums Explore Media Oil Pastels Oil Pastel Library Oil Pastel Challenges Oil pastels for December

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 119 total)
  • Author

Seasons Greetings for all the artists:wave:

My earliest childhood memories of Christmas are of a Christmas tree with candles, decorations and presents on Christmas Eve with a record playing Slient Night and church bells.
    This made me think of candles and night scenes for my theme. You are welcome to use your own references or use the posted references where you can crop, combine and change at will – artistic license:lol:
    Have a wonderful time and enjoy your painting.

Christel

Seasons Greetings for all the artists:wave:

to you too:)

critique is welcome
    department of graphite
    limited english :)

Rich A

These pics are awesome Christel! Seasons Greetings to you as well.

terriks

What a fun selection of images! Seasons greetings to you and all my fellow oil pastel friends. :)

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Mira

Great pictures! I am thinking about painting the last one, with the starry sky… if I dare! :D
                But first need to finish my current painting.

Magical December and happy holidays to all of you, guys! ^__^

Christel, maybe later you will tell us (maybe in OP paintings? :)) about how Christmas is celebrated in South Africa. WC says you live there, hope it holds true :)
                I mean, it must be hot over there, right? I know that it’s also hot in Australia so their Christmas is very different from ours – no snow :D
                Though recent years there isn’t always snow on Christmas/New Year either…

Btw, you know, for Russians the biggest holiday is not Christmas, but New Year! Besides, our Orthodox Christmas falls on the 7th of January due to a different calendar system used (back in time).
                Orthodox Christmas is a holiday and is celebrated, but it’s a more religious holiday over here and it’s not as big as New Year.

I will try to paint something with Russian New Year flavor if I can handle it ;)

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

Glad you like my choice of references. Looking forward to seeing your artwork!
                December in SA means the following:
                school holidays, hot summers, swimming, braaing(barbequeing) , decorative shops and in some places street lights.
                Christmas dinners for the workers
                Many places close between Christmas and New Year so there’s a rush for the beaches
                For the church goers, there is a Christmas service on Christmas day and caroling on Christmas Eve
                A Christmas tree is put up and on Christmas morning presents are handed out
                For the majority Christmas is a time to relax and laze around
                The 16th December is also a holiday – Day of the Covenant
                New Year’s Eve is a party day of eating and reveling and New Years Day a day of rest:lol:

Christel

A4 crop

Christel

terriks

Glad you like my choice of references. Looking forward to seeing your artwork!
                    December in SA means the following:
                    school holidays, hot summers, swimming, braaing(barbequeing) , decorative shops and in some places street lights.
                    Christmas dinners for the workers
                    Many places close between Christmas and New Year so there’s a rush for the beaches
                    For the church goers, there is a Christmas service on Christmas day and caroling on Christmas Eve
                    A Christmas tree is put up and on Christmas morning presents are handed out
                    For the majority Christmas is a time to relax and laze around
                    The 16th December is also a holiday – Day of the Covenant
                    New Year’s Eve is a party day of eating and reveling and New Years Day a day of rest:lol:

Interesting! It’s hard for us on the northern hemisphere to wrap our minds around heat & beaches during “the Holidays,” which is all tied up with sleighbells and “chestnuts roasting on an open fire.” But it also sounds like a great place to visit to run away from the cold!

Love your moose silhouette. The blues and greens in the sky are very peaceful.

Terri

Film photographer with special love for alternative photographic processes - especially ones that get my hands dirty!

Rich A

Nice job Christel. I like how you cropped it too.

Thanks Rich!

Christel

Mira

Wow, Christel, your painting turned out great! When I saw this from my mobile phone, I thought you posted the same photo but cropped. I was in doubt if it actually was a painting – looks exactly like the photo! Only from the computer one can see there’s a bit more contrast on the reference photo.

I used to have a friend from Brazil and he told me they also spend New Year on the beach :lol: it does sound unbelievable to us, northerners :lol:

I love oil pastels and have created a blog about this medium. While the blog posts are in Russian, still I invite you to get inspired with various artists' beautiful OP paintings in my blog's gallery: https://oilpastelist.wordpress.com/gallery

rbhatt

Very nice work Christel. The sky looks great.

Raj

R-B
                                Williamsburg, VA
                                My Instagram Page

Thanks Mira and Raj!

Christel

A4

Christel

terriks

Lovely! I like seeing the extra details in the cabin. Great job on the mist and the creek, too. Nice!

Terri

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 119 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.