Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Are there colored pencils that are as good as Caran d’Ache Luminance only cheaper?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    himawara

Hi guys,

I’ve done some portraits recently and I normally use FC Polychromos. But I often come to a stage where I don’t like the result and I start to “correct” the drawing with my limited palette of Caran d’Ache Luminance pencils.

Here is a drawing where I used this “method”:

(The drawing is still not as smooth as I want it to be, but I’m still experimenting with CP.)

Now my question – I enjoy the Luminance pencils so much because they are so creamy. I can put a lighter colour on top and it doesn’t “scratch” or crumble the colour underneath as with other wax-based pencils like Prismacolors. The colours seem to blend so well without losing their value/colour.

But they are too pricey, so I’m searching for other colored pencils that are as good as these (in terms of all these characteristics I described + lightfastness).

Does anyone know of such pencils? Help is much appreciated! :)

ManedWolf

You might like Faber-Castell Polychromos. I don’t think they are “creamy” (that word has no universal definition) but they are smooth – gliding on the paper like a skater. They are also the most lightfast pencils after Luminances. The third choice could be Caran d’Ache Pablo. Polys and Pablos come in 120 colours.

Heikki

himawara

Thanks Heikki for your answer! I use Polychromos but compared to the Luminance they are not so smooth.
                Do you know if Pablos are wax- or oil-based?

pjartwc

Love your portrait. Everything about it is excellent. What paper are you using?

C&C WELCOMED

Jan

concinnity

I’m completely blown away by this magnificent drawing. Are you sure that you want to change pencils?

bib

Wonderful drawing!
                            The Pablos and the Supracolor Soft Aquarelle pencils (which can be used dry very well, too) are softer than Polychromos, but not so creamy as Luminance. Peter Weatherill has an excellent website with many informations about all kind of pencils: http://www.penciltopics.co.uk/

himawara

Jan
                                Thanks so much for your nice comment!
                                I’m using the smooth side of a gray Canson mi-teintes paper.

Concinnity
                                Thank you too for this nice comment! Maybe you’re right and I just should stick with the Luminance pencils.. I look out for cheaper prices for them.

Bib
                                Thanks for your nice comment and for the valuable information! I have to try those pencils.

faula

short answer, no. you get what you pay for
                                    but its worth trying other pencils to see if they work for you since what one person might find “creamy” or “smooth”, another might find the opposite

himawara

Faula
                                        Yes, that’s true. I worked some more on my recent portrait and the Luminance are such a pleasure to use. I can go over with the Polychromos for finer details.

paulalee

himawara,

In my opinion, I don’t think anything compares with the luminance pencils. I have about 10 and am anxious for more. Yea, they are pricey but oh my goodness! I’m going to be using lots more luminance and more polys in the future. I also do portraits. Your piece is magnificent. You’ve given me something to aspire to. Thank you.

Paula
                                            I'm not bad, I was just drawn that way. ;)

himawara

Paula
                                                Since I started drawing I haven’t bought clothes or shoes or anything like that because I think I should spent the money for art materials. ;) I’m not interested in both of these things anyway so it’s not a big of a problem.
                                                Thanks for this great compliment. I know some of your portraits and you have something which I lack, creativity. So this is something, you give me to aspire to. I like life drawings or drawing from photographs but I don’t have original creative ideas. But anyway, I have fun doing what I do, but just a little bit of creativity would be nice.

paulalee

wow himawara!

thank YOU! what you said about my work was so very kind. I really appreciate it.

Paula
                                                    I'm not bad, I was just drawn that way. ;)

Nature2Canvas

Is that the woman who has dragons for pets in Game of Thrones? It’s brilliant!

brissie

Lovely portrait. As to the pencils I love my polychromus but am using my Caran dAche Pablo for my white chrysathemums as they work better on black paper and are creamier than Poly’s however not as creamy as there Luminance . I have used the white luminance over the Pablo’s though and that’s working really well. So I’m afraid it’s expensive pencil if you want the results you desire

himawara

Marion
                                                                Yes, that’s the woman. Thanks for the nice and funny comment. :)

Brissie
                                                                Ok that’s interesting that the Pablos are smoother. I have to try them, thanks for your help!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.