Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Ad Reinhardt Technique

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    JoseCruz

I’m currently experimenting with the technique of Ad Reindhardt in his chromatic black paintings. If you haven’t heard of his work, check out this MOMA video: google- “AB EX NY: The Painting Techniques of Ad Reinhardt: Abstract Painting.”

Question 1: has anyone tried this method of extracting the binder from oil paint using other colors, other than black/mix (or know of another artist who has)?

Question 2: In my research I’m reading these paintings are a conservationist nightmare. In fact the one I’m working on has such a delicate surface, it can barely be touched as it absorbs your fingers oil and flakes. As putting a mat varnish on it would take away from the effect, does anyone have any other suggestions? One artist I spoke with suggested I try pastel fixative. The painting is on double gesso primed cotton duck stretched canvas.

First time posting, appreciate any help.

AnnieA

Hi Jose, and welcome to WC! :wave:

OK, I got curious and checked out the video, which I found interesting.

For question 1, you may be able to find additional info in the Abstract Forum.

For question 2, while this is the right place to ask technical questions about oil painting, your particular question may be a hard one to find an answer to, since the method is pretty much outside the realm of what’s typically posted here.Again, folks in the Abstract Forum may be of more help. It might be helpful to post an image of your painting.

I’m not a very experienced painter, so I’m unable to answer your question 2. That said, the pastel fixative sounds, off the top of my head, like a good idea, and I’ve found Sennelier’s Lascaux fixative to be very light and unobtrusive, but again, I’m not really the person to ask. And it’s been a while since I’ve done pastel work, so there may be better fixatives now. I wonder if the people in the Pastel Forum might also have suggestions. Or perhaps you could contact the conservators at MOMA. Whatever you do, I’d suggest experimenting with samples before trying on the actual painting. It’s an interesting concept. Good luck!

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
            [FONT=Palatino]
            “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

cb3

AB EX NY: The Painting Techniques of Ad Reinhardt: Abstract Painting
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSGGHmTXA3o

You might look into and test Gamblin’s Fast matte colors for a matte look without loosing all the oil binder.

JoseCruz

Never heard of those, will try them out. Thank you.

AB EX NY: The Painting Techniques of Ad Reinhardt: Abstract Painting
                    [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSGGHmTXA3o[/url]

You might look into and test Gamblin’s Fast matte colors for a matte look without loosing all the oil binder.

JoseCruz

Excellent suggestions, thank you. Below is the painting, it is far from finished. Can’t get good lighting on it.

WFMartin

Regarding that video: That is the most atrocious way of handling a paint I’ve ever witnessed. It’s no wonder so much modern art is deteriorating. It can be expected to.

This is an excellent example of how to create the worst underbound paint that it is possible to create. Just for what it may be worth. My oil painting students all need to watch this video.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                            https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

dirtysteev

Well, it might not fit your criteria for how paint should be applied Bill, but if Reinhardt (or anybody else) achieves their artistic vision, it is not really our business to knock it is it? Permanence is certainly not a requisite for making any kind of art.

WFMartin

Permanence is certainly not a requisite for making any kind of art.

Wow !

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

cb3

Although this has nothing to do with oil painting … one idea leads to the next. Left field thinking.

You might also look into silk screening techniques (matte inks) on paper. Beautiful art with rich matte colors.

I’m drawn to silk screen cards and prints. One of my fav card companies: https://www.greatarrow.com/cards.html

You might be able to adapt some knowledge from this art form to help yours – I’m not sure, just brain storming. Talk to them about their inks, etc.

Happy painting!

Kent

Pastel fixatives typically darken the color and may add a slight glossiness. As suggested above, test it on a sample before using it on your painting.

Cheers,
                                            Kent

DAY, n. A period of twenty-four hours, mostly misspent. --Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

JoseCruz

I’ve been painting for 20+ years and could never leave oil. But you never know what other medias can lend to finding something new. My wife is a chemical engineer so I love bouncing these ideas off her. Thanks again.

JoseCruz

Pastel fixatives typically darken the color and may add a slight glossiness. As suggested above, test it on a sample before using it on your painting.

Cheers,
                                                    Kent

Definitely, I’ve been matching the paintings layers on a test canvas board to do just that. Thanks for the response.

JoseCruz

Permanence is certainly not a requisite for making any kind of art.

Well said.

JoseCruz

Regarding that video: That is the most atrocious way of handling a paint I’ve ever witnessed. It’s no wonder so much modern art is deteriorating. It can be expected to.

This is an [B][I]excellent[/I][/B] example of how to create the worst underbound paint that it is possible to create. Just for what it may be worth. My oil painting students all need to watch this video.

Reinhardts work is not for everyone. You can easily walk by his paintings and scoff. They do not photograph well and in this digital age that should be something that is appreciated, because they need to be seen in-person. But when you take the time to experience one of his paintings you may change your opinions.

As for the permanence factor, that’s exactly why I asked my question. But I completely disagree with your mindset. If we don’t experiment and push boundaries in a medium, how will we ever create anything new? Maybe a better approach would be to explain to your students what will happen if they use this technique. Who knows, maybe they can find an innovative solution.

OK

It’s no wonder so much modern art is deteriorating.

The Auto-Destructive Art Symposium produced and destroyed some exciting art in the 60’s, copying photos is not exciting.

:wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                                                                — Allen Ginsberg
                                                                Are you ready for a Journey?
                                                                PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Ad Reinhardt Technique’ is closed to new replies.