Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil What kind of paper should I start with?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Macarona

Hi,

I want to start with colored pencils, but I still need some paper.
        My first trys will probably not look so great and I dont like to buy expensive papers for the first Trys. What paper can you recommend me?

I will use Faber Castell classic colors 48 pencils and Gamsol.
        Let`s see if like to draw with colored pencils:)

kind regards Macarona
        Stay calm, you can not protect all people from mistakes they make. They should also be allowed to learn from mistakes and gain experience.
        Especially financial mistakes.:angel: Keep calm, you can not prevent that there are not only reasonable suggestions from people. Specifically on the subject: only try and how long. Important topic: Please Save the Internet, that we can still share a lot of knowledge. # No articles 11 and 13!!!

eonworks

Using low cost art materials may discourage you due to unsatisfactory drawing results caused by such materials. Therefore it’s better to start with good quality paper and pencils. Ideally a beginner should experiment with different papers and pencils to determine which combination of paper and pencils s/he prefers. You could try different smoother and rougher papers to see what you like. Quality art paper manufacturers include Winsor & Newton, Daler-Rowney, Hahnemuhle, and Strathmore. I never used Faber Castell classic pencils but they should be good enough to begin with.

Personally I prefer smoother papers. Here are some papers that are not too expensive:

Daler-Rowney, Smooth Heavyweight, 220gsm
            Winsor & Newton, Smooth Cartridge, 220gsm
            Hahnemuhle, Nostalgie Sketch Pad, 190gsm (great value for money)

Depending on your drawing methods and materials, buying thicker papers may be more cost effective since you can use both sides to draw on. Which is what I do with all my sketching. With my drawing methods the paper needs to be at least 160gsm to draw on both sides.

Attalus

Agree with above. Strathmore papers are excellent, too

Bill was a long time valued member of our community who passed away after a lengthy illness. We will miss him. Rest in peace.

"Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

My dA page:http://attalus.deviantart.com/

Macarona

Thank you for the paper examples :-).
                    I can handle watercolours quite well, but I have problems to get a smooth layer with coloured pencils.
                    I have start watercolour painting with lower end student quality materials,
                    then I became better and I have changed my materials to higher end student materials.
                    Finally, the paint was all and I bought me artist paints and paper.
                    With the materials to be used for drawing with coloured pencils I would like to do the same.
                    Then I’ll have a look where I can get such a paper.

kind regards Macarona
                    Stay calm, you can not protect all people from mistakes they make. They should also be allowed to learn from mistakes and gain experience.
                    Especially financial mistakes.:angel: Keep calm, you can not prevent that there are not only reasonable suggestions from people. Specifically on the subject: only try and how long. Important topic: Please Save the Internet, that we can still share a lot of knowledge. # No articles 11 and 13!!!

Since you’re planning to experiment with Gamsol, you’ll want papers that will stand up to the Gamsol without buckling or that will dry flat.

The two papers I recommend are Stonehenge and Canson Mi-Teintes. Both are excellent for dry drawing, can take a lot of layers and punishment, and hold up well with solvents. In fact, the Stonehenge will dry flat even when it appears to have gotten so wet, it’s ruined. It’s a remarkable paper. I’ve used turpentine to blend colored pencil on Mi-Teintes and have been very satisfied with the results.

You might also give some thought to sanded pastel papers. Contact the UArt company and request a free sample. They’ll send a sheet of each of four “grits” which will be big enough to show you whether they’ll work for your method or not.

Carrie L. Lewis
                    Helping You Create Art You Can be Proud of with the Colored Pencils You Love
                    http://www.Carrie-Lewis.com/

Macarona

Good idea, but what paper so far I know is Stonehenge a brand and not a paper name. I thought Mi-Teintes broken when it got liquids
                        Thanks, so I learned something again :-). I have Fabriano Tiziano can I take that instead?

kind regards Macarona

Sutra

Watercolor paper is a good paper to try but if you’re looking for a smooth finish you’ll want hot pressed paper.

Macarona

Good idea,
                                I did not know that I can use my watercolor paper well for colored pencils. Hot pressed watercolor paper is very expensive, which I will use later if I have some experience.

kind regards Macarona

brissie

I use fabriano artistico hp and although expensive it takes a good deal of erasing which is always helpful at any time but especially as a beginner. Also takes many layers of faber castell and pablo pencils as well as luminance too. OMS works well on this paper too. Another good paper is arches hp but I find its not as forgiving as the fabriano which I love, its my go too first choice every time now.

Macarona

I could try it, I have it lying here. Well, but a picture should not be corrected forever.
                                        First I had to finish my watercolor painting, and then I drawing with colored pencils.

kind regards Macarona

Sutra

I use fabriano artistico hp and although expensive it takes a good deal of erasing which is always helpful at any time but especially as a beginner. Also takes many layers of faber castell and pablo pencils as well as luminance too. OMS works well on this paper too. Another good paper is arches hp but I find its not as forgiving as the fabriano which I love, its my go too first choice every time now.

This is my favorite also. I don’t use OMS but I’m learning to combine regular CP with watercolor pencils and this is ideal for that.

katwalk

The problem with starting with cheaper papers is that they don’t work the same way a better quality (read more expensive paper) does. You really need a paper with some tooth to take the layers of colored pencil, no way around that. My suggestion is to buy sheets, cut them up and work small, you want to work small with beginning colored pencil in any case as you are going to find that applying all the layers is time consuming.

Stonehenge is an American paper and I am not sure how available you will find it in Europe (am I reading the flag right and you are in Germany?) That said for us here in the US it is usually a less expensive paper than Hot Press Watercolor. I like using Stonehenge, but some don’t, it is soft and sometimes seems the soak up layers of colored pencil. If you can find it (Strathmore is another American Paper) Strathmore Colored Pencil Paper should be a good paper to try, again not a cheap paper but not as expensive as the Watercolor papers.

I like Fabriano papers also so if you have them available I would try them.

Good luck, have fun.

Macarona

Yes, Im from Germany ;-).
                                                    I only found Strathmore on Amazon.
                                                    The Colored Pencil Paper for 12,99€ 9×12 Inch 0,43€ per Sheet.
                                                    Well, I have Paper for drawing:
                                                    Fabriano Accademia in 120g/m2 = 56 ibs and 200g/m2 = 94 ibs
                                                    and some homebrands:
                                                    Gerstaecker No5 Universal 160g/m2
                                                    boesner doree professional 170g/m2
                                                    boesner drawing and sketchpad 170g/m2
                                                    Would a paper of these work?

kind regards Macarona

katwalk

I am not familiar with your local paper brands. Paper, other than high end watercolor papers tend to be pretty regional, paper gets heavy so I am sure shipping costs add up and just aren’t worth it. Which is why it will be hard for you to find Stonehenge or Strathmore in the EU.

I suggest you try what you have access to, use the same subject (work small) and do a test drawing on each of your listed papers. You will quickly figure out if they are working for you or not. No one paper is right for everyone. As I mentioned you want a paper with some tooth, not a smooth surface paper though there are those who like Bristol Board Smooth for their work, I wouldn’t recommend it for a beginner, the smooth surface won’t take many layers, esp. if you use a heavy hand.

Work using light layers (no pressure on the pencil as you apply it to the paper. Try layering different colors to see how that works for you.

Perhaps you can find a “local” supplier who sells sample packs of paper, it might be worth both the investment of money and time to order a pack and try the various papers out. I will add that I prefer heavier weight papers, colored pencil can be abusive to paper and light weight papers just don’t hold up. As a reference Stonehenge is 250gsm and Strathmore Colored Pencil paper is 163gsm, I would say that the Fabriano Accademia 120 will be too light weight.

Have fun.

Macarona

Good idea so I’ll make it.
                                                            Gerstaecker has the same assortment as Great Art from England.
                                                            I will check in my local artist’s shop for what paper they have. I can also take a few samples.
                                                            I’ve ordered a few books at amazon to practice. The shipping from the USA takes however very long approx. 3 weeks.
                                                            I have ordered these three books:
                                                            Encyclopaedia of Colored Pencil Techniques: A Comprehensive Step-by-Step Directory of Key Techniques, with an Inspirational Galley Showing How by Judy Martin
                                                            Painting Light with Colored Pencil by Cecile Baird
                                                            The Complete Guide to Colored Pencil Techniques by Beverley Johnston
                                                            Let’s see if they are also helpful for me as a beginner. Hopefully I find later, in it still tips, if I later have much more experience.
                                                            I can read English well, write is rather the problem ;-).
                                                            Thanks for the many tips from you :-).

kind regards Macarona

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.