Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting precautions in repainting over an oil painting from over a year ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I’ve recently found that a cad red hue that advertised itself as lightfast may very well be fugitive, especially in tints. This is the paint I have used in most of my skin tones for the past few years. I am considering repainting the faces and bodies of some of my most beloved figures, but I want to make sure this won’t do more harm than good.

I’ve read that oil paint produces a film when it dries that will reject new layers after a year or more? Also, this article talks about a way to “wake up” old oil paintings.

These are paintings I want to last forever and I am willing to repaint them, but I need to know I’m doing it right first.

http://painting.about.com/od/oilpaintingfaq/f/FAQOldOilPaint.htm

WFMartin

I’d just take a piece of lint-free, T-shirt, or bedsheet material, and put some Turpentine on it. (Pure, Spirits of Distilled Gum Turpentine).

Gently wipe the surface of the old painting with the Turpentine. Turpentine has a way of “conditioning” the dried surface of the painting. It “bites” into the surface, slightly softening the old, dried paint film. It won’t dissolve the paint; it will only condition it so that it will accept fresh paint better.

Then, you can perform all the “waking up” of the painting using a very thin application of medium that you wish. But, gosh, ….don’t allow it to dry for a day as was recommended in that article. Apply a bit of medium to the surface on which you want to apply paint, and apply paint into it while it is still wet.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
        https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

I don’t use mediums at all, will that be a problem? I just mix my paints straight from the tubes.

I just tested some turpnoid on a dark area of the painting, and a small amount of color came up. does this mean the painting is not totally dry after all?

Don Ketchek

I just painted over some areas of a painting I painted in 2005. I didn’t so anything to condition or prepare the surface and had no problems. I have revised or revisited paintings after a few years on a number of occasions and never have had any problem adding new layers of paint. I know others have mentioned new paint beading up on older surfaces and I presume this is more likely if more medium was used and the surface is glossier. I don’t use any mediums either.

Don

Anonymous

I just painted over a painting that I did thirty years ago. I fixed some areas and I like it much better now. I just rubbed the areas with a scotchbrite pad, then applied some liquin and painted.

Bradicus

I just painted over a painting that I did thirty years ago. I fixed some areas and I like it much better now. I just rubbed the areas with a scotchbrite pad, then applied some liquin and painted.

Sid,
                    Why put it on the canvas and not in your paint?
                    To help soften?

Cheers,
                    Brad

Anonymous

Sid,
                        Why put it on the canvas and not in your paint?
                        To help soften?

Cheers,
                        Brad

I use whatever medium I am using, as a couch, then I also use it in paint mixes if needed. I believe a couch of medium promotes adhesion of the wet paint to the dry paint, some of the medium will more readily penetrate a bit into the tiny pores than just thick paint. A couch also makes application go on smoother or easier.

Bradicus

I use whatever medium I am using, as a couch, then I also use it in paint mixes if needed. I believe a couch of medium promotes adhesion of the wet paint to the dry paint, some of the medium will more readily penetrate a bit into the tiny pores than just thick paint. A couch also makes application go on smoother or easier.

Interesting, thanks,
                            Brad

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                          • The topic ‘precautions in repainting over an oil painting from over a year ago.’ is closed to new replies.