WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2011, 03:17 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States
Re: Emma and Bubba - WIP

Kari,

Thanks so very much! Yes, I'm a color addict .......

Jen,

Thanks very much! You're very welcome. I always enjoy seeing what colors other pastelists use, so I thought I would share.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2011, 11:31 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Hello everyone. Iíve been slowly plugging away at this, and had some personal interruptions, but now Iím back into it. Iím really starting to enjoy this, I forgot how much fun it is to do animals, especially dogs (I love all animals, but dogs, theyíre part human, only they have the best parts!).

Anyway, I digressÖ.. White is probably the most difficult to paint, but I find I am starting to have fun with it. Iíve only used pure white so far in just a few highlights, and I find that is usually all you need. Iím going slowly, so as not to make the ďwhitesĒ too bright. Our right ear is not done yet, but I feel I have an idea where to go with it now. Iíll probably be starting Bubba, the guy on our right, pretty soon now, and maybe Iíll start playing with background colors. His nose is going to be a challenge too, as the photo is soooooo black, no detail at all. The client sent me more pictures, hopefully they will help.

The colors on the photo are pretty close to the real thing. Sometimes the camera cooperates .

Thanks for looking, and C&C always appreciated.

#33   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2011, 04:55 PM
In the mountains near Omak, Washington

Hails from United States

I especially like the fur on the chest with the hints of color. It looks so soft and warm. Lovely, lovely work!
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2011, 05:38 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from United Kingdom

It's coming on great Chris!

Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Baker, Montana

Hails from United States

You are doing an awesome job on this. I love the colors. I know I am going to be so jealous of the owner of this one. WOW!!!
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Fredericksburg, VA

Hails from United States

Oh wow, I just caught this thread. I love how the pup is popping off the page already. The eyes are perfect. I can't wait to see more.

#37   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Tampa, Fl

Hails from United States

Chris,

I love how you work color into your paintings. Blues, purples, pinks, etc, make white much more interesting. This will turn out great.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2011, 03:38 AM
Enthusiast
Alaska

Hails from United States

wow, beautiful! I love all the colors you are using in the white fur, just lovely!
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2011, 07:52 AM
Pittsburgh, PA

Hails from United States

Chris:

This is coming along beautifully. I'm really fascinated by how you incorporated the soft blue/violets into the fur/nose area. It gives more life to the piece.

Mike

"For an impressionist to paint from nature is not to paint the subject, but to realize sensations." ~ Paul Cezanne
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Lord of the Arts
Ireland

Hails from Ireland

This is fabulous Chris. I am going to enjoy watching your progress. Thank you for doing this. I also love how you added the violets and blues
Mary Brigid
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2011, 10:29 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Karen, Ruthie, Pat, Bonnie, Corey, tulabula, Mike and MaryBrigid,

Thanks so very much everybody. I really appreciate the feedback. It keeps me going, commissions are sometimes hard to stay focused on, I can get easily distracted and want to paint something else (then I'm in trouble). These two are fun, though, so I've been pretty focused, just a bit slow. I am pleased the colors are coming across well, I sometimes have to be careful not to overdo it. I haven't used much black or white, just a bit of black in the pupil and a bit around the eyes and some in the inside of the nostrils, and very little white highlights on the white fur. Now, back to the easel......
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Southern Utah

Hails from United States

This is great Chris! I love the expression and the fur!

Terri
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Enthusiast
West Virginia Panhandle

Hails from United States

Chris this is coming along great!! Emma pops right off the page, and your so neat!! Im all over the page at this point! lol!

Looking at the photo they both seem to be looking at the camera. I wonder about having Emma looking off, while Bubba looks at us...or slightly over us? I think it would make a stronger portrait of the two dogs if they both were looking in the same direction. Although damn, the eyes are just beautiful! just a thought.

In further tinkering I put a side-by-side photo of Emma togther. You have done a great job, I especially like the colors you have chosen. I think probably what mades Emma ....Emma. Is she seems to have a bit of "the bug eye" to me, her skull actually protrudes at the eye incasements. On the outside of her eye, the muscle's upper and lower are rounder and where they meet is a much softer rounder shadow. On your painting the upper eye muscle has more of a slanted look. She seems to use more of her upper forehead muscles, they arch high. Making a "bumpy" head. Her nose is...her nose. I wouldn't be surprised if its flatter on the verticle plain, facing us. A bit pig shaped. I would suggest that you use a darker highlight on the "front verticle plain", that area is in the shadow. The top of her nose is more heart shaped. She's a dainty gurl!

Bubba's eyes are much more laid back and more into his head with a broader skull. He is going to look awesome!

I can't wait to see where you go next!

http://betsyspastels.blogspot.com/
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2011, 04:37 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Terri,

Thanks so very much!
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2011, 04:51 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Betsy,

Thanks very much for taking so much time to reply. I so appreciate your comments. I've held off putting in the lightest whites on Emma's face, especially her eyebrows, sort of saving them at the moment. Any of those whitest whites will make everything protrude more and come forward more (more rounded too), I just haven't done them yet. I'm thinking that is where/how I'm going to make the shape of her face more accurate. Her skull does protrude, and there are some bumps on the top of her head which need to be shown, but I haven't yet put the lightest yellows either. I come from the school of "save your lights for last", and I can't seem to get out of that habbit. I wanted to see where Bubba would end up first. I hate to complete one thing before going on to the next, as you never know till your done. As far as the gaze goes, right now I've got Bubba looking up and sort of over the viewer, not in the same direction as the photo shows. I took artistic license with that. I think it's all where you put the highlight.

As far as the nose, man alive, the photo I'm working from has absolutely no resolution. I swear, these clients expect magic. They really don't understand what we need to paint accurately. Anyway, I did ask for more photos, but they weren't much better, I really cannot see her nose at all. In the one other photo of Emma I have, her nose isn't at all heart shaped. Soooooo......, what's a person to do? I made her nose more breed appropriate, so to speak. I have emailed the client, and they like what they see so far. Hopefully, I'm not too far off. At this point, it is up to them to give me better photos if the nose isn't what it is supposed to be. I did explain that the original photo has absolutely no information for me to go on. I can do whatever they want, but I need something to go by.

Anyway, thanks so much for taking the time. I so appreciate it. Hopefully, when those last highlights go in, I'll have it even closer.