WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > WIPs (Works In Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2011, 04:30 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States
Emma and Bubba - WIP - FINISHED!

I wasn't going to post a WIP for this, but I find that if I do a WIP, it keeps me on track and focused. I seem to get the painting done sooner, rather than later, so, here it is.

This is my latest commission. It is of two beagles buddies. Let me tell you, working from a photo with low resolution is a horror. I accepted this commission with a photo that, unknown to me, was just that. When I looked at it more closely, I realized that there is little to no detail. Eeek - not good! I was able to backlight the photo to see just enough information to get by, so I'm struggling along. The biggest problem are the noses. I think I've got it now, but, phew!

Anyway, now that I've got the problem resolved, I'm starting to enjoy painting these cuties. I haven't done dogs in a while, I forgot how much fun they are to do. This is done on Wallis Belgium Mist, 11"x14". I'm using Derwent, Carb Othello, and Conte Pastel Pencils, so far. I'll probably use some sticks for the background, thought I'm not sure what color I'll be doing yet. Still thinking about it.

I see a horizontal line on our right side of her face/muzzle that doesn't read right, so I'll be adjusting that. Why do I always see things like that after I'm ready to post ?

Thanks so much for looking. C&C always appreciated.

P.S. Actually, that horizontal line is the start of a whisker. I just figured it out , as I'm still all over the place with her. I thought I would mention it.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2011, 04:41 PM
A Local Legend
St.marys, GA

Hails from United States
Re: Emma and Bubba - WIP

I think it's that we see it as if we were looking at it backwards or upside down or someting like that. I know i find them as i post also. he is looking really good so far.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Pittsburgh, PA

Hails from United States

I love it so far. I also notice the mistakes before I post. I think it may be that (for me at least) I get a little self conscious about the work we put so much effort into, and the nitpicking begins. I like to think of this as an advantage since it always leads to a better result.

"For an impressionist to paint from nature is not to paint the subject, but to realize sensations." ~ Paul Cezanne
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Durango, CO

Hails from United States

Oh, this is going to be SO CUTE! I can just tell already . It will be fun to follow the progress as you keep bringing these little guys to life!

art & photography blog
Facebook Studio Page
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Huntsville, AL

Hails from United States

Hey! I am loving the face so far, great work! Is it possible to see the ref photos while you are working on this? You are preaching to the choir when talking about bad ref photos! The only thing that truly helps me (and that is if I get a common breed and not a mixed, unless it favors one breed over the other) I look up dogs of that breed to see if I can sort of see more details, get to know the breed more... ya know? Like, if I got pug pictures but they really were terrible for reference and it couldn't be helped, I would go to WC' ref library or flickr and see if I can find photos to help with the project. If you can't see the nose in this photo, find a nose. Make sense? I have done this just a few times, but it really did help!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2011, 10:11 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Pete,

Thanks so much!

Mike,

Thank you! Yes, I guess we're always nitpicking!

Sonja,

Thank you! They are really cute, buddies from what I hear!

Jennifer,

Thank you! I know, I did go online and look, but I think most dogs have their 'own nose' so to speak. I realize they are pretty similar, so I'm going to have to use all of my knowledge on this one! Here is the reference photo. You can see that I've pushed them closer together, so they don't look so much like two little soldiers: I've been working on the nose a bit more, as it's still not right.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2011, 11:36 PM
Enthusiast
Orange County, California

Hails from United States

Chris, what you have right now is even more adorable than the real thing. Keep it up.I am all ..eyes.

my art blog Art Stepping Stones,
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark

You're off to a great start. Looking forward to your progress.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2011, 06:06 AM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

Chris...I'm no expert in PS....but this is the closest I've got to 'seeing' the little one's nose....

Hope it helps. |To me, that sharp black bit to our left of the nose is not part of it.
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2011, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Port Lincoln, South Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi Chris,

Love your work on the left dog so far. The dog in the reference photo looks really nervous, unsure maybe, but you've made him look relaxed and beautiful.

Love it!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2011, 07:48 AM
Lord of the Arts
Lincolnshire

Hails from England

Just beautiful Chris, I love what you have done so far and the warm colours you are using are wonderful. I find the way you have captured the little fellows eyes are quite moving really. John
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2011, 08:30 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Elena,

Thanks so much. What a nice compliment...

Marcus,

Thanks so very much.

Deirdre,

I appreciate what you've done. I did the same thing, but your version has a bit more detail, so it's very helpful, thank you . I agree that maybe that black bit isn't part of the nose. I sometimes feel I have to be a magician to pull these things off. People don't really understand the type of information we need to be accurate, and it's hard to explain to them. I'll post another step later in the day to show where I'm at with the nose. I think it's getting better.

Vicki,

Thank you. I noticed that, though I don't know what I did. Weird how that happens.....

John,

Thank you. I had to make up some of the eyes with the lights, as the photo doesn't show them well. When I looked up the breed, I found some references that helped. I'm so happy you say it's working.....
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast

Great work. Love those eyes. Looking forward to the seeing the rest. james
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2011, 09:56 AM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from United Kingdom

So far, so great I would say! Love the colours. It's hard work (been there too) but you'll figure it out, I'm sure.

Pastel Guild of Europe http://www.pastelguild.org/
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom

How sweet they are. Your painting captures such charm, like dogs from a Victorian Pears print or something similar. And the purples are gorgeous - are you overlaying different colours, or are they straight from the pencil as it were? Kat

www.katdavies.com