Home Forums Explore Subjects Florals and Botanical March Plant Parade Challenge

• This topic has 75 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by ~JMW~.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Margaretta

Welcome to our March 2019 Plant Parade challenge featuring

SPIKY PLANTS AND FLOWERS[/SIZE]

Flower spikes, spiky leaves, spiky petals; all will be acceptable in this challenge.

I will post several varieties and you may choose from those, the reference library or use your own images.

Few rules –

Any medium, any size
        Any crop of reference
        Any discussion but no showing your work – yet!
        Reveal day is any time from 25th.

Hope you enjoy the challenge!

Through striving, to the stars.:confused:

Great concept; thank you for hosting!

Joy
        C & C encouraged!

Margaretta – Interesting concept – Spikey plants! Thanks for Hosting!
        And I’m sure that is a bronze New Zealand Cabbage Tree in the bottom photo OR to give it its correct name “Cordyline Australis” but we just call them Cabbage Trees in New Zealand as they are a native of NZ. I’ve no idea why we call them “Cabbage Trees” but we always have and, they grow vigorously in their favorite part of New Zealand where we live.

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

eyepaint

oooh …. spikes…

-- EP Moderator for:
            All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Shanec

Cool, I’m thinking cactus!

Shane

https://artbyshanec.com

I keep trying to ‘finish off’ my ‘cabbage tree’ – it refuses to die!:lol: ….. they get so BIG!

Thanks Margaretta – nice theme!:)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Margaretta

Haha! We had three cabbage trees/ cordylines in our garden; I love the deep claret colour contrasting with the greens. But hubby was getting spiked and getting very cross whilst weeding so he chopped them down and pulled up the roots…. he thought! All three are growing sturdily again. Flower photo names in order:

Top: a sort of white lily?

Yellow Dahlia

Strelitzia

Yucca

Proteus

? Seen in Tenerife!

Tajinaste

Cordyline/ cabbage tree

Love spiky plants!!!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

LynneDe

Interesting topic for sure.

I looked up the cordyline plant, seems it grows from rhizomes and can be propagated from pieces of the stem…but also that it’s good to eat, a starchy plant (and the cabbage tree variety is used as a sweetener!)

Hmmm, which should I try? Thinking perhaps the yellow Dahlia – I’ve not done one that looked like a Daisy before…or the Strelitzia? Most of the others would likely be too heavy in clay, though individual blossoms from them could be done, but then, not spiky anymore….

I am sure I will come up with something. These challenges are so much fun. I am so glad to have found this forum!

Thank you, each one that hosts, comes up with exciting ideas to work through. Though at times I have to sit on the sidelines (full-time caregiver to my disabled husband – snowstorms taking lots of my energy to shovel, and my own physical challenges among many reasons) I do love seeing what everyone comes up with.

I shall try to take notes, so that I can make comments that you can see, rather than just in my heart. I do so love to see the work!

Blessings and gratitude that I am well enough to work with my clay once again…LynneDe

As I will never take this exact path again may I not leave a kind word unspoken or a kind deed undone. May my life count for good, may the world be better for my having been in it when the final reckoning is accomplished. Blessings, LynneDe

Very interesting!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Margaretta

LynneDe, it’s inspiring to read your enthusiasm for Wet Canvas topics and how it stirs your creative juices. Thanks for the interesting information about the cordyline.:wave:

Shanec

Wow LynneDe, you are very passionate about your beautiful creations.

As it turns out spiky plants are quite fun to draw/ paint and I’ve finished one already. :)

How is everyone else going?

Shane

https://artbyshanec.com

Cabbage Trees are known to be extremely “hardy” but we had a series of very cold frosts followed by snow which lay for days, one Winter about 25 years ago – unusual for us here in the South. That killed off many of our Cabbage Trees and also many Hebes. Ours died. My husband was delighted – I wasnt!

Shane – yes Ive begun mine too. Im determined not to be running late with mine this month (famous last words!) :thumbsup:

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

Great going, Shane! Mine is also finished.

Christel

No pressure on the rest of us then?!!!! :lol:

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.