WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2019, 02:34 PM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States
Re: Looking for selling advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondheim12
When you are selling almost everything you paint, it will be time to raise prices. When you raise prices, you lose the bottom tier of your collectors. The middle tier becomes the bottom and the top tier becomes the middle. Then you must find the top tier of collectors again.
Good point. I will leave it as is for now and see what happens.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2019, 08:43 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Roth
I don't know about people not wanting dark and moody. Look at the enormous popularity of Day of the Dead, everything skulls, and Halloween. There are a lot of gothy people out there who are not depressed or cynical about the future; they just like the style.

I meant dark and moody in a pretentious artsy way, not a kitsch way. And I presume the other poster who introduced that phrase meant that as well.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2019, 12:39 PM
Middleburg, Virginia

Hails from United States

Hey, wait a minute, my pretentiously dark and moody landscapes are selling pretty well!

But I do keep in mind that ultimately people are buying something to put on the wall—to decorate their homes.

Laura
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2019, 05:13 AM
Enthusiast
Pawtucket, RI

Hails from United States

I like your work, Laura, and I'm glad it's selling.

Personally, I prefer dark and moody landscapes to bright and chipper ones, especially those that focus on autumn or winter. Some people can pull off the bright summer landscapes, but I think it's hard to keep them from looking like a greeting card. I did one recently and IMO it is on the sappy side.

I also like painting storms and just yesterday printed out a bunch of reference photos of storm clouds so I could work on that more. Also have an image of a night street knocking around in my head.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-23-2019, 01:37 PM
Wiltshire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

I think the point is that there are a myriad of 'niche' markets and if you can find your niche you can make a good living without ever going near the gallery circuit. I haven't found mine, but I make art primarily because I want to. I have a side business on Etsy which almost runs itself with no great outlay needed and which allows me to indulge myself as an artist.

I still however try to operate the art side in a business like manner, financially and artistically. Just because I don't want to sell mugs and t-shirts based on my work doesn't mean I'm not serious about what I do. I just prefer to sell the original work. If I wanted to sell mugs I would open a china shop...