WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#736   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-19-2019, 03:50 PM

Re: Basic 101: Class 18 - Drawing Portraits

hi Sparrow, I'm really sorry you're not at your best, Get well soon. Best Regards.
Thank you very much for your words and for your response despite the period, I really have no words for the generosity with which you share your great talent and your experience.
Thank you so much and sorry, that I wrote to you also during this period. It's my way of saying get well soon.
  #737   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-24-2019, 10:21 AM

Hi Sparrow I wanted to write you for a greeting, I hope you're better.
I wish you a Good Sunday,
I made a new attempt and I started another one, I thought I would practice a while to post in groups of maybe 4 together even if without asking for C & C.
C & C sure that I come back to ask you, but when you're well and willing you can then return to full capacity on the site so get well soon, .
Speaking seriously , sorry , i write , i take this message to thank you for everything you do for the forum as well as for all the help received from me and to wish you a good Sunday.
I wish you well. A hug and a greeting

#738   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2019, 10:50 AM

Hi Sparrow, hope you're better., A hug.
I then made these attempts (and started to modify the values ​​of the last one I had published).
*On cat eye, Casper, (by the way thanks also for reference that they are not only magnificent but also funny) I reused grid for this attempt. I drew in pencil and started shading but then for almost all shading I used a black crayon that I had.
A short time ago I read a review I think, where they spoke of combinations with the graphite so I thought to try them together (in the end I used almost only pastel and a piece of paper in addition to the pencil at the beginning of the drawing)
human eye instead is an attempt with a pencil of coal (taken up one of the first references I had used, so this is a new attempt with the same subject .cooked with coal, first was in pencil), made with charcoal pencil and stump
I wanted everyone to try to make values ​​darker, similar to the less flat references as you explained (and to do a little 'better the pupils as you told me but on your eyes there are other advice and explanations on which I should return and exercise, are tough the eyes but I'm a wonderful subject), by values ​​I changed the tools for 2 attempts thinking it could also be used for pencils in fact after these the idea was to go back to practice with pencils. Finally I did eye horse with pencils.
And this, I have not done anything but will continue to practice and update.
Best wishes, thank you again

reference
  #739   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2019, 09:51 PM

These are my later 2 attempts, but above all I wanted to send you a big hello, I hope it goes better.
Best wishes

I then started another one, a human eye but it was more an imprecise sketch on economic paper and I will start it again

#740   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2019, 04:49 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

Big improvement on the forms, Joe
My suggestion for further study would be to concentrate on the light and dark contrasts. The darkest areas are well done, but the remainder is rather timid. I think you will admit it if you compare the reference with your copy.
And yes, it is not just a matter of looking. There is some skill involved. And perseverance. Practice makes perfect.
Keep up the good work

Drawing and Sketching Forum Guide for D&S Classroom
  #741   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2019, 07:58 PM

Hi Arnoud, thank you for your encouraging words and for the advice,
, yes, now looking at them on the monitor as you tell me I can see that in the values ​​I have skipped the intermediate steps,
that does not pass evenly from light to dark, that I skipped values, passages, in the iris and above I had to darken more I believe (and also in other parts that probably escape me), I'm talking about the last one I made.
After this I started another one that I didn't end up making mistakes while now I'm doing one where I will try more to practice better on the light and dark contrasts. unlike the other eyes of this reference and the next time I did a print in case I find it better
Posteri a wip, maybe there are other errors to be corrected in the phase prior to shading, or in any case independent of them. and Sparrow greeting me heartily) and after the post.

On shading maybe I have already wrong (or at least I should try to correct it I think) the part outside the cornea on the left of the sheet (dark part, I don't know if it is the limbus of the cornea, if I found the right name) the types of strokes and perhaps it is better or better to do the whole pupil lightly first and then gradually darken. But maybe it's not the time but I had to use thinner lines (maybe go with another pencil or better)
Thanks a lot .
The links
The photo is enlarged, it is about 8 cm x 7 cm
(reference comes from the forum).

#742   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2019, 06:01 PM
A village near Antwerp

Hails from Belgium

You're off to a good start, Joe
Re your fear that you went too dark: I don't think so. It is very difficult to judge the darkness in the beginning, with all the contrast against the white paper. Some methods to help you are explained in class 102-8
Important: keep the really light areas free of graphite from the beginning. I see you did a slight darkening of the "catchlight". It is extremely difficult to bring that back to white later on.

Drawing and Sketching Forum Guide for D&S Classroom
  #743   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2019, 11:59 AM

thank you very much Arnoud, thanks also for the link, I will read it carefully,
this was and perhaps the quality of the line, perhaps not sufficient for a more realistic effect (but shading is one of the things that will require not only its techniques, and precision, so much practice that it is difficult to shading and therefore continuing to practice over time will continue to get better),
I tried to make the point of light brighter but it's true what you say, so I have to leave it white at the beginning because restoring white is hard.
I can't do it, so I have to be able not to dirty it first.
Thanks again . I will continue the drawing and post it