WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2019, 11:16 PM
Enthusiast

Traveling with frames to distant plein air events?

I'm thinking of traveling by air to a couple plein air events this year, but each says I need to frame my work if I went to participate in event sales. That's a reasonable requirement, but I'm not sure whether to prep frames at home and stick them all in my suitcase, or just buy ready-made frames when I arrive on site. The frames I have at home tend to be heavy -- Jerry's Artarama plein air frames, which have 3-inch mouldings.

What's more, I like to paint in a variety of sizes, so I'm not sure I'd want to commit to bringing only 8" x 10" or 16" x 20" frames.

How do you folks handle this issue? Thanks in advance!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2019, 11:00 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Traveling with frames to distant plein air events?

I would bring my own frames. You may have to pay extra for luggage - but if you didn't bring them you'd be paying for new frames. The frames you have were chosen for what looks best with your art, any new frames you buy at the venue will be "what's available". You'll be spending time shopping for frames instead of enjoying the trip.

After the show you'll have to pay to bring them back home and possibly pay extra for luggage, or leave them, then have to buy frames again at the next show.

-
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2019, 04:01 PM
Enthusiast
Reedsburg, WI

Hails from United States

If you are going to use the jerry's frames, just have them ship to where you are staying (free shipping) and then decide if you want to bring them back with you, ship them back, or just gift them to someone else.

Of course, you will probably sell them all!

I would recommend sticking to a size or two, keep your traveling simple. I've gone to plein air festivals before, and painted in several sizes, which was a pain to have frames in every size.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2019, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your replies. Those are all sensible suggestions. I hadn't thought of shipping frames directly to the venue. Good idea!

That said, I wish Jerry's plein air frames weren't so heavy! If I don't sell everything, I've got to lug them back in a suitcase -- ugh. I suppose this is a question for a different thread, but is there a place to shop for nice-looking plein air frames that aren't so heavy?

Once again, I appreciate your taking the time to reply. Thanks!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2019, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast
California Central Coast

Hails from United States

Quote:
I've got to lug them back in a suitcase

So ship them back in the same box you sent them in.

Additional work can be viewed at Mike's site