WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2019, 02:37 PM
San Francisco Bay

Grackle

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Grackle
Year Created: 2019
Medium: Pencil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 8x10
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Hi everyone, I'm new to forum and drawing/painting/etc.
Started few months ago and drawing few times per week.

Subject is Great-tailed Grackle from my reference photo, with Koh-i-noor graphite (up to 6B i think).

Thank you for feedback, it would be much appreciated.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
My first try of graphite grades other than HB, so feedback is welcome!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2019, 04:50 PM

Re: Grackle

The tail feathers draw my attention immediately as does the wing. Are the tail feathers that pronounced and at those lengths in the reference material?

How about the wing....looks a bit small. The values of your highlights may be a touch to light....makes the body color look mottled (black and gray) which I don't think is how the grackle is marked...please correct me here if need be.

I do like all of the detail work and your use of the darker pencils is spot on.

Nice job!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2019, 05:23 PM
San Francisco Bay

Thank you for your input, zhm.
Tail feathers are fine with me, they actually a bit longer, it looks I set my bird super close to the edges. Need bigger pad
I didn't like the wing at all, but it is odd looking on the photo too (angled i guess). I've added reference there.
You are right about highlights, camera is not perfect, my mistake of not correcting blown highlights.

Last edited by Uncommon : 03-05-2019 at 05:27 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2019, 06:35 AM
Dublin, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

I like this alot.I really like the silhouette, its very strong and visually interesting. Really nice choice of reference picture. I think you have done some good work here.
I wouldn't worry about 100% accuracy. I tell my students to aim for about 70%. There are minor proportional issues,so perhaps make a sticky note and work on that next time.
My only other tips would be to push your shadows and blacks and spend some time to study gesture and introduce that to your drawing style.

The bird is looking a little stiff. If you look at the photo, there is a certain flow to it that your study is missing.

You could also consider putting more details around the focal point, in this case the head, and less details as you move away. It will make your sketch stronger. Unity through variety.

Other than that, keep drawing. Aim for 3 hours a day minimum. Keep your drawings to about 20-30 mins a piece and keep cranking them out.

Throw in drawings that are from your imagination based on what you learned from your studies. Force your brain to learn rather than just copying all the time. If that's all you do, you will just be mindless in your drawing and never really learn as the human brain loves lazy. You need to keep forcing it. The best way to learn is by doing something the hardest way possible. The more you fail and make mistakes, the better you get.

Finally, I would get yourself some cheap A4 copy paper and use that to draw. I find that with expensive pads, your more likely to worry about messing up and therefore not enjoy drawing as much as you worry about the cost of that moleskin your working on. I go through nearly 500 A4 a month here with gestures and doodles mainly. I could never output the same work on expensive sketchpads. Your doing very well so keep at it.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2019, 02:32 PM
San Francisco Bay

Well, big thanks for your advice and time spent writing. Means a lot to me.

For sure I would listen to what you saying. I'm practicing as often as possible, mostly copying photo portraits on to-be-recycled paper. But I can't wait years to learn to draw without producing some finished drawings. And number of topics I'm interested in, and mostly important number of media easily available on market, distract me a lot. I can't focus on something particular.

If you don't mind quick reply regarding " to push your shadows and blacks"?
English isn't my native, does it mean cranking up blackness of shadows or giving them more details?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2019, 04:48 AM
Dublin, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Hello,
Rather than trying to explain it, I have done you a paint over. You are correct to say that your shadows should be darker. Shadows can be tricky, as its often about designing interesting shapes in the shadows that can really help a drawing or painting rather than just dark areas.
All I done was "push" the blacks to get rid of the large areas of mid tone grey, and added a little catch light to the eye. The eyes will nearly always be a focal point.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2019, 04:52 AM
Dublin, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Hello,
Rather than trying to explain it, I have done you a paint over. You are correct to say that your shadows should be darker. Shadows can be tricky, as its often about designing interesting shapes in the shadows that can really help a drawing or painting rather than just dark areas.
All I done was "push" the blacks to get rid of the large areas of mid tone grey, and added a little catch light to the eye. The eyes will nearly always be a focal point.
Shadows have ambient occlusion areas, and areas of hard and soft, depending on material and light. These are all areas that require study.

Anyway, hope it helps , and have fun.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2019, 12:09 AM
San Francisco Bay

Thanks again, copying photos from digital cameras seems like a bad idea - film had less details and intense blacks. I guess i will need to adjust my reference to make picture more appealing. Thank you.