Home Forums Explore Subjects Plein Air Painting in bad weather

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    zardoz71

I was yesterday out to see how my new equipment would work outdoors after I changed a few parts. I paint in watercolor so I can work to some degree in the cold but rain is the arch nemesis, a umbrella works only so far with all the coastal winds we get here. The weather forcast predicted that the rain would stop at some point but as I found out three and half hours later the rain never ever stopped even for a second.

Even the horses didn’t enjoy the weather.

On the plus side, my clothing and equipment withstand the elements, no moisture got through but no chance for a watercolor painting season.

So whats your general plan if you run into weather problems. Are you seeking the next barn, porch or are you painting/sketching from your car?

Bartc

Can’t say I’d want to be exposed in actual rain, but have certainly painted in cold (not snow!), high wind, and fog so thick it was virtual drizzle. And I do paint in water media: acrylics, watercolors, Ceracolors, etc.

Would I find an overhang or sit in the car? Sure, especially had I come a distance AND something caught my eye to paint.

BTW, in my kit I always carry pens that are not water soluble. Has nothing to do with wet weather; just a good companion medium. These tend to be ink pens or ink brush pens in colors. Good to have around if you don’t mind being out there in your rain gear.

zardoz71

Can’t say I’d want to be exposed in actual rain, but have certainly painted in cold (not snow!), high wind, and fog so thick it was virtual drizzle. And I do paint in water media: acrylics, watercolors, Ceracolors, etc.

Would I find an overhang or sit in the car? Sure, especially had I come a distance AND something caught my eye to paint.

BTW, in my kit I always carry pens that are not water soluble. Has nothing to do with wet weather; just a good companion medium. These tend to be ink pens or ink brush pens in colors. Good to have around if you don’t mind being out there in your rain gear.

I think the not water soluble pens are a good idea. Should at least work under a rain umbrella with a pocket sketchbook. Added to my list, the backpack is large enough so that should be no issue.

The area was in a landscape protection/conservation zone (the rule here is, you can use a bicycle[in some cases] or walk on road/trail) so I have not seen any kind of shelter there until I reached the outskirts of the forest on my way back. Not that I can complain to hard, found some interesting spots there. It wasn’t my intention to walk for hours when it was raining cats and dogs but somehow I enjoyed it. At least the landscape was diverse and beautiful.

Bartc

There are also a couple of varieties of lightweight, pop up portable shelters on the market. One variety is sort of the “sport-brella” with one open side. The other is actually about 5′ tall, 3’wide square base with a door and see through panels on 3 sides. The latter is ideal for sitting painting in wind or rain. I’ve tried one a friend uses, and it’s quite functional for sitting painting in inclement weather. Just a thought.

Bartc
                        DaveCrow

I have done watercolor in the rain. It is an experience.
                            Hopefully you can revisit some of the spots you found when the weather is nicer.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

I “did” a watercolor near the windy coast in Western Australia… the light blowing salt mist did not seem to be something I could not overcome but after a half hour I just wiped off the paper and left.

Now when I get into the wet I sit in the car; pen & wash is doable this way. At worst I can add the watercolor later at home. If I can set up so as to protect the upholstery I’ll do watercolors. Water on the windows is a problem so I try to park to take advantage of the wind. Catch the rain on the windshield and have the window next to me, (and out of the rain) down an inch or so so I can see details. Expect slow drying in the high humidity.

-Dave

I apologize if you do not think this is appropriate. I paint in water-soluble oils. I got surprised on day that was only suppose to be cloudy. I did not have an umbrella as I use it for sun. I had gotten a little beyond the block-in stage, when an unexpected rain shower struck. I kept this. Best picture I will ever paint of rain. I guess we at least have to keep our sense of humor dry. Gary

[ATTACH]864307[/ATTACH]

"Painting is a verb"

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.