Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Oil-from-life challenge, August 2019: optional "water" theme!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Grotius

Let’s paint from life! As always, feel free to post whatever you like — landscapes, portraits, figures, interiors, still lifes, whatever — so long as your work is painted primarily from life.

This month I’m suggesting a new optional theme: water. It’s summer, it’s hot, so show us oceans, lakes, rivers, bottles of water, anything that will help keep us cool! As always, the theme is just a suggestion; post whatever you like. Four guidelines:

1. Please paint primarily from life — not from photographs or imagination. It’s okay to post finished studio works based on studies from life; in that case, please post the original study as well as the finished work.

2. Please submit something created either last month or this month, not something you’ve done in the more distant past.

3. Please paint in oils. That said, please feel free to post studies in any other medium, so long as you also post your oil painting(s).

4. Please list the size of your painting and support. E.g., ‘”8×10″, oil on panel.’

Optional: Tell us the title of your painting!

—————–

Unfinished works, studies, and outright failures are all welcome. There’s no requirement that you invite comment & critique. If you’d rather post without being critiqued, just say so; that’s fine by me!

You can find older oil-from-life threads in the “hall of fame” sub-forum of the Oil Painting forum.

I hope you’ll all consider posting one or more paintings this month!

- Geoff.
        My website and blog: https://www.geoffwatsonart.com/

Grotius

I’ll kick us off with a painting that may contain a little water when I’m done with it. I’ve been working on this tiny little still life for the past couple days, and I still don’t feel it’s finished. I may take a break from it to think on it.

Incidentally, this is now my 93rd daily painting in a row. I’m going to get to 100 and then take a break from the daily-painting routine. :) “Silver pitcher,” oil on linen, 5″ x 7″; photoshopped slightly to remove glare from the background.

- Geoff.

moscatel

Grotius, absolutely love your “Silver pitcher”. Painting 100 daily paintings in a row is bringing you good results.

Water .. just what I need to practice! Here’s my latest plein air and I post a full story of photos along.
                I spent wonderful warm day painting this tree. Water is now warm so I went swimming down there which was refreshing break in between painting. I hope to return here this month or next because there’s much more to paint.

“Pine Tree”, 25×35 cm, oil on canvas piece (repainted over a Repin portrait study copy)

This was my set up and view:

the painting before finish, the moment of golden sun hitting on canvas:

two swans came by:

Close-up of the finished plein air but not yet finished piece:

As you can see there’s lot to paint – even this tree is very good subject. Also my cat was enjoying the trip so much ..

ntl

Moscatel, Nice day, perfect setting, well done piece! It’s nice you’re able to take your friend along, sure makes life more interesting for him!

Grotius

Tom Mather, if you’re here, I hope you’ll re-post the wonderful sunflower painting you posted at the end of the July thread. The thread was archived not long after you posted, so not everyone got to see it. Please feel free to post it again in this August thread!

Moscatel, what a wonderful painting and location! I could stand out there all month and not run out of things to paint. Thanks also for contributing to the “water” theme! And thanks for your comments on my silver pitcher. I may paint it again tonight, this time from a different angle, and with more water involved. :)

In the meantime, here is a collage of my 31 July daily paintings. I’ve now done a painting every day for the past 93 days straight. I’m going to get to day 100, then declare victory and turn to some studio projects that are begging for attention. “Collage of July paintings,” oil on various surfaces.

- Geoff.

TomMather

Here’s my sunflower plein air painting from the end of July. I’ve also posted some studio versions in the Landscapes forum.

Grotius

Tom, thanks for re-posting that glorious painting! It’s one of my favorites from the July thread. That flower practically jumps out of the frame.

August daily painting #2, and summer daily painting #93: I kept my little scene intact, but I stood up to paint it from a different — and more challenging — vantage point. Nothing is harder than painting extremely foreshortened objects! But I wanted the practice. This is an okay start, but things are kind of vaguely-defined still. I’ll work on it more tomorrow. “Tableware,” oil on panel, 6″ x 6.”

- Geoff.

ntl

Tom, your sunflower painting is beautiful!

Good start on a difficult piece, Geoff. Looking forward to the next installment.

ntl

Here’s two from lifes add-ons.

The first done Aug 1, is a study of a setup of dolls for a scene I’ve worked on over time. This is an atelic piece, I have no idea when it will be finished. I’ll work on this support then go on to others over time.
                                        This 6.5 x 8.5″ oil on paper board piece started as a cloud study. Then it needed more, so the mountains and land was added. Then the trees. Then I did my people set-up, and decided to use this dry landscape for context for the people. So the people were added as a “from life” scene. I’ll be adding more people soon, also from a setup.

The second 6 x 8″ oil on canvas paper from life was also done over an old landscape, that itself is a plein air done a few years ago. Today, I added the sage brush and cacti, also plein air. The blooming sage bush is in my front yard, the cacti (in bloom) are just up the street. We finally had some rain, which is probably why the sage bloomed, I don’t think the saguaro cacti need rain to bloom.
                                        C&C welcome!

the second, done today, Fri, Aug 2

Grotius

ntl, those are both looking good! How did you get that lovely sky blue in the first painting? And I love the purple flowers in the foreground in the second one.

August daily painting #3: I made some progress, but this challenging scene still needs work. I’m going to put it aside and come back with fresh eyes next week. If the weather is nice tomorrow, I think I’ll go outside to paint! “Tableware,” oil on panel, 6″ x 6,” in progress.

- Geoff.

ilya K

ntl, I first looked at the picture and thought, oh no, you made two (living) girls knee while you paint! And then read that those were dolls. :) Very nice!

Geoff, great light inside the pitcher!

Ilya K
                                                C&C always welcome

moscatel

ik, thank you for your comments and thoughts from last month’s thread (aspen grove). You are correct, big canvases can be though. For me 50×70 cm is big and for plein air huge.

Tom, sunflower :heart:

Grotius, excellent work done with new angle #3. Those are fun to do! Thank you for commenting! It was a coincidence that I went to paint a big mass of water and same time you chose the subject ‘water’. :thumbsup:
                                                    I admire your effort for the 100 paintings. I like a lot also your collection of July!

ntl
                                                    , thanks for commenting. Yes, the cat is enjoying the forest scene tremendously. Well done with your two latest piece from life. Oh, another cactus .. my favorite plant. The flowers are perfect! Love the cacti flowers! Too bad inside my house plants won’t survive b/c not enough light, outside in winter even less .. :eek: too cold.
                                                    It tends to happen to me too that I start paintings and leave them and come back to work on them later and sometimes that goes on forever and I never seem to finish them. So similar thing happens here .. :)
                                                    I like a lot your landscapes!

“Cloud study”, 20x30cm, oil on canvas paper (Fabriano) I hope to do more of these cloud studies in the garden. Underneath there’s another wiped out painting so you can see some very dark ochre/olive green dots which I left visible on purpose.

ntl

Ilya, thanks. Yes, these are dolls, but I hope that by the time I’m finished with studies and working on the painting, they will resemble real people!

Geoff, it’s surprising how depth is shown with a line or two and a slight+ color change. You’ve done well with it.

Moscatel I do like your clouds! To me, they are sort of Van Gogh-ish.
                                                        I wanted variety and recognizable realism in my skies, so started working on clouds.Now we’re in a rainy season with a lot of clouds, from huge white puffs to many layered clouds from shining white to all shades of blues and grays. Maybe I can do some plein air-depends (for me) partly on the temperatures. I did get some photos, too.

Grotius

Thanks for your comments, everyone!

ntl, is that phtalo blue in the sky in your first painting? I’ve been using a lot of phtalo in my skies lately. :)

moscatel, that cloud study is very fun. I’m glad you let the old painting peek through. It’s a nice effect. Yes, I’m glad you happened to paint water during water month!

August daily painting #4: It was a beautiful day out, but I still felt like painting glass and water, so I stayed inside and set up yet another little still life. I spent only an hour on this, but I think it’s an interesting start. The drawing needs a bit of work, but I like the light. “Glass of water (in progress),” oil on panel, 6″ x 6.”

- Geoff.

ilya K

I have tried to do two layers of Georgian oils without waiting for the next day. They don’t dry that fast anyways – too runny. So now it counts as alla prima.

18×24 cm canvas pad.

Ilya K
                                                                C&C always welcome

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.