Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Oil-from-life challenge, June 2019: optional "daily painting" theme!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 207 total)
  • Author
    Grotius

Let’s paint from life! As always, feel free to post whatever you like — landscapes, portraits, figures, still lifes, whatever — so long as your work is painted primarily from life.

This month we’re repeating the very successful theme we used last month: an optional “daily painting” challenge! Or, if you like, an “almost daily painting” or “every other day” or even a “weekly painting” challenge. As always, the theme is just a suggestion; post whatever you like. Four guidelines:

1. Please paint primarily from life — not from photographs or imagination. It’s okay to post finished studio works based on studies from life; in that case, please post the original study as well as the finished work.

2. Please submit something created either last month or this month, not something you’ve done in the more distant past.

3. Please paint in oils. That said, please feel free to post studies in any other medium, so long as you also post your oil painting(s).

4. Please list the size of your painting and support. E.g., ‘”8×10″, oil on panel.’

Optional: Tell us the title of your painting!

—————–

Unfinished works, studies, and outright failures are all welcome. There’s no requirement that you invite comment & critique. If you’d rather post without being critiqued, just say so; that’s fine by me!

You can find older oil-from-life threads in the “hall of fame” sub-forum of the Oil Painting forum.

I hope you’ll all consider posting one or more paintings this month!

- Geoff.
        My website and blog: https://www.geoffwatsonart.com/

Grotius

I’ll kick things off, so to speak, with a painting of a football field I did today. It was about to be used for soccer practice, not football, but it was still great fun to paint. “Before practice,” oil on panel, 8″ x 10.”

- Geoff.

Grotius

Also, I encourage Moscatel, Ronsu and other daily painters from last month to repost their collages summarizing their work from last time. The collages were posted at the end of last month’s thread, but some people might have missed them. Here’s mine:

- Geoff.

ronsu18

😀😀😀
                    again! the door to abstract is in the mathematical positioning of the squares. that’s great!

turned up to declare time out, let’s say one week. work is turning more strenuous (today planting taters) and fatigue accumulates. i’ll be lurking. see ya! 👀

C&C welcome

Anonymous

very neat painting Geoff, I like that you make your subjects stand out and focus on them.

I got out and did a plein air today. I went out in the country to do this barn and
                        farm, it is an 8×10 oil

Grotius

Ronsu, enjoy your well-deserved holiday from the easel! The paints will still be there in a week or so. I hope you can continue to stop by and comment. I loved your comment on my football uprights! It’s just what I was thinking when I painted it: what an awesome geometry configuration, lol. A little U inside a big U.

Sid, that is a really charming painting. I feel like I’m standing there beside you, enjoying a pleasant early-summer day in the country. I love the criss-crossing diagonals; they add zest to the composition. Great stuff!

- Geoff.

Grotius

I had my most enjoyable day of painting of the year! My family and I traveled to the Chesapeake to enjoy a party with friends and relatives, and I brought along the paints. This yacht was sitting in the late-afternoon light, just begging to be painted. So I obliged it! There was a pleasant south breeze, temperature in the low-80s, sunshine, good food, and lots of friendly party-goers wandering up to my easel to chat.

It was one of those paintings that felt right after the first 10 minutes. I sketched in the hull, leaving the light bit unpainted, and I knew right away I’d be happy with the composition. It may not be perfect, but it sure was fun. “The yacht,” oil on panel, 9″ x 12.”

- Geoff.

moscatel

Grotius, glad you mentioned the U inside big U, I hadn’t noticed the small one, it’s so well set in instance. I especially like the football field painting because I think it’s perfectly painted plein air and landscape. I like the variation of grass lawn, composition & color tones. It’s pleasant and strong painting to look at.
                                    “The yacht” painting shows you enjoyed the day and painting. Those are the treasure days in plein air. Excellent job on both.

Sid, lots happening in your landscape and lovely color harmony. I like all the grey’ish tones I find there in your plein air. Animal is nice add.

Ronsu, hope to see you after holidays and hopefully I find myself here too. Week is a long time .. in daily painting.

In the next post I will post #31 as I continue counting from where I was left last month but I too will now take a couple of days off and focus on big paintings instead.

moscatel

Daily Painting #31. “Aspen I”
                                        Oil on canvas paper, size: 18×24 cm
                                        In my back terrace – plein air. I call it “Aspen I” b/c I plan to paint them more when the sun is out and until I get them right. Today’s effort :

moscatel

You can see the net there if you look carefully. This terrace is my cats’s special place so that she won’t run away. Today’s models look like this:

ntl

Geoff, good perspective on both the field and the boats.
                                                Sid, well done. Can almost hear the awakening.
                                                Moscatel, the roughness of the trunks and short stubs/broken branches are well and prominently displayed. They bring us right up to them.

ntl

A few photos today, Sunday, of the model, the WIP, the set-up, the finish, etc…
                                                    plein air, ~ 2 hours, 7-9AM, ~4×6″ white, cerulian, ultramarine, and cobalt blues, chromium oxide green, cad yellow, yellow ochre, and a touch of both red and cad orange.

the model: Peruvian Monstrose Night Blooming Cereus This is the north side of the one I painted last month. That center stalk is now over 5′ tall,

WIP–on my lap, painting only the base, and showing paint and palette, too

finished painting, about 1.5 hours, and model. The sun is just peeking over this east wall, it’s getting hot.

These thorns are not as long, but just as protective as on the hedgehogs,

Part of today’s little plein air kit, including lunch box carrier, paints, tools, 2 bottles of oil, and in the lid, that is my wet panel carrier, painting still inside.

finished painting in this black frame which acts as a wet panel carrier and fits inside the lunch/paint box.

Grotius

Moscatel, those are really pretty aspen trees. Very convincing, especially when compared to the models in your photo. You’ve modeled their form accurately, and I love the way you’ve varied their color as you travel up each tree. One of your best tree paintings!

ntl, same goes for you, this is one of your best cactus paintings. I like what you’re doing with the background: you omit needless stuff, or change a wall to a pretty sky. Good stuff! I’m curious about the lighting scheme. One of your reference photos shows a very light (or no?) cast shadow, while the other shows a very dark cast shadow, and I think you went with the first lighting arrangement — a lighter cast shadow. It works great as you have it, but I’m a sucker for dark cast shadows, so I’m curious why you chose the first lighting configuration. For what it’s worth, my teacher is always telling me my cast shadows are too dark, so maybe you’re on to something. :)

Also, using a frame as a wet canvas carrier is inspired! Loved the photos of your materials and setup. :)

- Geoff.

bobbybirds

Okay… The more time I spend here seeing how helpful everyone is, the less I feel intimidated about my newbiness, so I will play along! I have only been painting a few months now but I am completely obsessed. This is a plein air piece I did this morning (cross posted on the plein air forum) of some diamond willow scrub brush in a farmer’s field at dawn. I am taking this week off work too so I am going to attempt a painting a day so I will hopefully have more… Anyhow, here it is. 6×8 oil on canvas board.

ntl

Welcome! Looks just as good here as it does in the PA forum!
                                                                Your sky is wonderful! You have the box on a post! Glad you posted here, I get to see it again.

A way to add to this would be to paint some tree tops above the top of the far ridge line. As you do, paint with the idea of lace in mind–check the photo of your scene: leave sky-holes and even have a branch or two showing in the upper reaches. Be aware of edges: the edge of one object just touching, or almost touching the edge of another. Make one or two tree top higher than the ridge line. That overlap will help with linear perspective.
                                                                I hope you don’t mind. If you’d rather not have suggestions, forgive me. (And let me know!) :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 207 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.