Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Welcome to What’s On Your Easel……June 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    !becca

Welcome to WOYE June 2018…Post your works in progress here so long as they are in oils…everyone is welcome!!!

for a more complete critique post in the main forum.
        _____ :wave:

Becca “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
        Becca's Fine Art

JaeBeam

I need practice with my values, so… here I am practicing. 18X22 Primed/Gesso’d 1/4″ MDF board

Delofasht

Finally had the time to take something that was on my board of personal paintings a bit further, little portrait of a friend from their reference. So close now, just gotta wait till it dries and do all the relaxing glazing to get the variation in skin tone and lighting done a bit better (several light sources, was really challenging getting the forms to read). Oh, and finish her necklaces and other stuff of course, but the hardest part is done now at least.

- Delo Delofasht
                mtpalms

This is what I have been working on, hoping to finish both by a June 24th entry deadline. I just blocked in the trees yesterday, so they won’t be silhouettes the next time I post, particularly the one in front of the house, which will be slightly backlit from the windows in the house.

Not sure if this one is going to translate well in it’s half finished state, so I am also attaching a thumbnail of the reference photo.

I had toned this canvas turquoise for another project, and needed to get the entire canvas covered before going much further on the middleground behind the boulders. The turquoise is still peeking through, but I think that is a good thing.

New link to my latest work.[/url]
                    "The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier they dug on hallowed ground
                    But the tomb of the unknown artist is nowhere to be found."

Delofasht

Marcia, I see that turquoise peeking through, certainly adds some interest. Your nocturne looks to be coming along well, looking forward to seeing the finish.

- Delo Delofasht
                        Brittiae

Hi,

I’m enjoying looking at everyone’s work. I’m wanting to participate, but I can’t figure out how to post a photo of what I’m painting right now. I looked in the Help tab, but even a simple search for how to post a photo did not bring any description of how to do it. I was able to post some stuff years ago, but haven’t been on the site for a long time and I forgot how to do it. Could someone please advise me what tab to look for to do this.

Thank you,
                            Barb

Art, because it is so easy to do, and yet so difficult to do well, encourages humility in the human soul. (Robert Glenn)

mtpalms

Barb, you need to make a few posts before the site allows you to post an image. I am just going to add, in case you are a Mac user like me, that your image file end in .jpeg, or the uploader may not allow you to click on the image you want to upload. :thumbsup:

Delo, thank you for the encouraging words. I didn’t notice the turquoise showing through until I took a photo, and I think it will enhance the painting now, but it was a bear to deal with before I got it covered!

Brittiae

Thank you for the prompt response. I appreciate it.
                                    Got it. That makes sense.

Art, because it is so easy to do, and yet so difficult to do well, encourages humility in the human soul. (Robert Glenn)

Brittiae

Hi, Jaebeam,

I understand practicing with a particular problem or theme in mind. I’m doing the same think right now only working on brights. You are doing well from my humble perspective. I think you are like me, a little timid with your darks. The way I think of them is that if I want to bring a dark forward I will create it using a red or orange in the body of the dark, that is a warmer “black”. If I am mixing for background darks I will use the cooler blues in my pallette. When I use a “black” from the tube, I use Payne’s Grey for background, Van Dyke Brown for forward darks and Chromic Black for neutral darks. In general dark colors tend to come forward and grays tend to recede. Therefore you can practice using darks strategically by asking yourself where you want a subject to be further away from the viewer and use a cooler, grayer dark. But if it’s up close use a warmer, more dense dark. Darks also weigh a thing down and anchor it in space, so it can be used to seat a tree or a field by looking for places to add it to the bases of these elements. All that being said does not make it an easy formula. You can’t just say to yourself, well I’ll just do this or that and it will work every time. It doesn’t. That’s why we all practice and practice like you are doing here. Eventually you find a way that seems to solve problems for you, and that becomes your recognizable style. I hope this is helpful for you. It is not my unique understanding. It’s only a synopsis of how to use darks that you can pick up in art study books and articles.

Regards,

Barb

mtpalms

I worked a bit on Samuelson’s Rock (official tile, “Wake Up”, which will make sense later on). The color is a liitle too warm in the pic, but the painting is beginning to make more sense now, too. :)

CynicalSaint

My nature is typically to hide my stuff till it’s done, but i’m in a ‘what the hell’ kinda mood today. heh

Bouguereau study
                                                “La Lecon Difficile”
                                                24″ x 36″

"Mais que veux tu?" - Vincent van Gogh

mtpalms

Thank you for sharing your wip. The facial proportions are spot on, I am looking forward to seeing how you progress, if you feel like sharing. At the very least post a pic when it is finished!

mtpalms

I didn’t get as early a start today as I had hoped, but I got the boulders textured and ready for text, and worked on the background a little more.

Brittiae

Greetings.
                                                            This is on my easel. I work on it two or three times a week. The foreground is blocked in and slightly detailed because it gives me a feeling for the light. I’m trying very hard to manipulate the color to impart a sense of exuding light and distance coming forward with the light. I am a long way from finished. I had to artificially crop the painting in the photo because it wouldn’t upload due to Wetcanvas’ restrictions on the size. I’m curious to see how that looks.

Brittiae

MTPalms: that boulder is phenomenal!! The texture is palpable! Really wonderful mastery. I would die to be able to do that!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.