WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2006, 03:24 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal
Re: Paul Leveille's Scottsdale Workshop

Hi,

Thank you many times !
It was great to learn all this.

Regards,

José
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2006, 10:20 AM
A Local Legend
Scottsdale, AZ USA (do I get a flag?)

Hails from United States

I will admit I am a bit frazzled today. Just going to post my efforts. Morning had me panicing and I thought I was taking photos, but there are none in the camera. Anyway, here is a close up of the finished face:

I do have a few progress shots of the afternoon but I am late this morning... will be late tomorrow and have a funeral in the middle.... so look again on the weekend....

RUNNING..............
dj*
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2006, 06:28 PM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States

This is just wonderful. I am going to use up all my color cartridges printing this one out. Thanks for doing this. Sandra
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2006, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Mt Sinai, Long Island, NY

Hails from United States

I enjoyed looking at this so much and just learned Paul Leveille is having a workshop in a few months not too far away from me, so I just sent in my registration- hopefully there is room.
Thank you, dj
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2006, 11:03 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Terence, that makes me happy! I asked if I could take pictures and post here, and someone said "Why?" I said because I like to pay back. I have an opportuntity here to preview for the gang, some of the worlds best instruction and help these talented individuals fill their workshops. I doubt Paul would expect results so fast, but your enrollment makes any time I spent putting these demos together worth it.

He has all of his videos, which I am embarassed to admit I have not seen, so I can't compare them to the real thing, as well as dvds in all three media and his book on oil painting to sell with him. He is generous at signing them... even if you bring in one from home! The ability to ASK questions is what I think makes all workshops rare and amazingly rewarding experiences.

I hope he has every chair filled and a waiting list for his workshops this year. The experience is multiplied when you get to hear him repeat advice to others and even more exciting is to have the HAND of the artist help in a bad passage. REMEMBER, if this is not like letting your high school art/band/home ec teacher help, thes are masters who KNOW their stuff. Thank him and don't TOUCH those spots! I have two pieces from my Milt Koboyashi workshop and I can tell you that the pinkie on the hand of one, and the flat tone of the nose of the other are HIS strokes. The are things to HANG a picture around!

I am posting the piece from today to show you what it is all about. It is about being willing to fall flat! I had 6 hours to work on one piece and tried to spend every second working. I made a LOT of mistakes. Right from the start! It is not one to sell or put in my sample book. It is one to remember what I was TRYING, how hard it was, what happened when I did it right and what goes wrong when you don't.

In case you can't tell, I over scrubbed the paper, blended it to brown, saturated and over worked BUT practiced new skills and FORCED myself not to rely on old tricks so I can say I ache all over from it and have gotten critiques from my other mentors that I am growning by leaps and bounds. I am putting new tools in my artist toolbox and will never be at a loss to tackle problems because I can always fail and start again!

I need a nap.
dj*
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
Mt Sinai, Long Island, NY

Hails from United States

Again, dj, thank you for all the information, and I will be sure to inform him that it was your information and photos that got me so enthused about attending. The workshop is on CapeCod but I will have many possible places to stay. Although I live in NY, my wife is originally from Mass, and had 9 brothers and sisters who have mostly now settled on the Cape. (would you believe, that after 38 years in NY, my wife still speaks with the Boston accent)
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2006, 12:16 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I understand that Paul is from the same state, but when I was on the east coast side of MA, the accent seemed much more fun! I loved the seafood chowdah at the "99" restaurants! I understand that Cape Cod crowd is one of the most pastelling gangs in the US!
I hope you enjoy it! If you are ready to learn, you will come out much richer!
dj*
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Resting in Peace
Antwerp, Belgium

Hails from Belgium

OLALA Debra this is an absolutely great thread !
Merci beaucoup !

P.S. You've got my mentor point and I rated the thread *****
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2006, 01:01 PM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England

DJ - this is just the best thread I have seen in ages! Fabulous!!!!!
www.anitamurphyart.com
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2006, 01:48 PM

Hails from Italy

Amazing thread. Thanks, dj!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2006, 01:57 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilberte
OLALA Debra this is an absolutely great thread !
Merci beaucoup !

P.S. You've got my mentor point and I rated the thread *****

IF I EVER GET FAMOUS, my first workshop will be in Belgium!!
Thanks guys
your pal
dj*