WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2015, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Washington

Hails from United States
Tell me about casein

I've been doing a lot of gouache painting lately, and I love so many things about it: the blendability, the matte finish, the easy cleanup. The only thing I don't like: how fragile finished paintings are. I'd love, for example, to paint on surfaces that don't require framing. I was toying with the idea of giving oils a shot, but the mess and long drying time gives me pause. Now that I've heard a little more about casein being a lot like gouache, I think that might be a better fit.

A few questions:
- How does the blendability compare to gouache? Or better put, how is it different from gouache?
- Does it require some sort of barrier? For example, if I paint on board, will it be ok, the way an oil or acrylic painting would?
- Is there a given curing time I need to be aware of?

Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2015, 03:57 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Tell me about casein

Check out Char's demo on gallery wrapping watercolours which she now coats with Dorland wax and can be hung without frames. The technique should work with gouache.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2015, 03:53 PM
Enthusiast
Spokane, Washington

Hails from United States

Here is the Richeson casein FAQ page: http://www.richesonart.com/products/...caseinfaq.html

Dan

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters."

Norman Maclean
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-18-2015, 12:14 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Hello, Julie! Here is a thread about Casein: You may find it interesting!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...errerid=134492

As for Gouache, I use Golden Archival Varnish, Satin, sprayed in light coats (outside). In fact, today I just sprayed some ACEOs I painted a while ago, and the results are terrific. I would tend not to use anything you physically wiped over a Gouache painting as it may lift the Gouache (except, of course, Acryl Gouache).

Many artists on this site also use Egg Tempera, easy to make yourself, cures to a wonderful look, artists here have gorgeous paintings!

Do a search of this Forum for Casein and Gouache!

Margarete
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2015, 03:47 AM
Lord of the Arts
Winston-Salem, NC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superturtle
.......A few questions:
- How does the blendability compare to gouache? Or better put, how is it different from gouache?
- Does it require some sort of barrier? For example, if I paint on board, will it be ok, the way an oil or acrylic painting would?
- Is there a given curing time I need to be aware of?

Thanks!

Casein tends to become less soluble in water as it cures, so it tends to be more difficult to blend than gouache except when it is fresh.

It does as well as acrylic on most any support, except that it is a bit more brittle.

It becomes more waterproof the longer it cures.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2015, 04:10 AM
Lord of the Arts
Winston-Salem, NC

Hails from United States

Here is an old casein I dd. I have a couple more if I can find them. Casein can be hell on brushes, so I tend to use gouache in spite of the extremely delicate surface.
Attached Images

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2015, 04:27 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

Beautiful work, Richard, and a wonderful explanation. I have to ask, when it cures will it be a satiny/glossy finish to the eye, and will it be a textured or smoother finish to the touch (depending on what we choose?). Hope that makes sense?

The colors are quite subtle in your painting... do you mix your own Casein or purchase ready made? When I decided to try acrylic, I purchased some very inexpensive (cheap) brushes on eBay, one set softer brushes, the other bristle type brushes... I imagine both will become useful!

Margarete

Last edited by M.L. Schaefer : 09-20-2015 at 04:32 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2015, 04:33 PM
Lord of the Arts
Winston-Salem, NC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.L. Schaefer
Beautiful work, Richard, and a wonderful explanation. I have to ask, when it cures will it be a satiny/glossy finish to the eye, and will it be a textured or smoother finish to the touch (depending on what we choose?). Hope that makes sense?

The colors are quite subtle in your painting... do you mix your own Casein or purchase ready made? When I decided to try acrylic, I purchased some very inexpensive (cheap) brushes on eBay, one set softer brushes, the other bristle type brushes... I imagine both will become useful!

Margarete

Sorry, I missed your post somehow. I use ready-made Shiva casein colors and a very limited palette. My paintings dry to a smooth, matte finish, very similar to that of gouache, but much more durable. For a glossier finish, it can be varnished.