WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum > WIPs (Works in Progress)
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2019, 05:36 PM

Question Portrait oil painting - help please :)

Hi, this is my first time posting and first portrait painting in years. Itís oil paint on an A4 sketch book. Iíd welcome any feedback whatsoever.

Obviously I havenít finished the hair, neck or chest yet. It doesnít look right to me but I canít quite figure out why, especially the hair.

Stupidly the reference Iím using is an edited photo so there isnít much texture on the skin. I thought this would be easier but actually it just makes it quite difficult for me to add detail.

Also, let me know what you think I could do for the background.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-11-2019, 03:03 PM
Somewhere in my RV / Studio

Re: Portrait oil painting - help please :)

Hantom - I just wrote this for another poster and thought it would really help you...

Steve here... a retired university art professor. Here is something you may want to consider. The impressionist Renoir was asked his opinion on the best way to learn to paint. He said "It is in the museum that one learns to paint... it is in the museum that one gets this feeling for painting that nature alone can not give". Renoir did not mean go to the museum to be inspired or get a warm fuzzy feeling, he meant go there, choose a master painting, and COPY IT! Don't try to interpret it, or change it up a bit... no, he meant COPY. By copying someone who has already translated a scene in 3D to a flat painting surface with paint, you will learn how it is done. You will not need to ask anyone how you are doing. You can compare yourself with the master and see for yourself. Otherwise, I think all other feedback is subjective.

Then, as you gain confidence and skill you can begin creating your own paintings instead of just doing copies. You do not need to go to a museum, get a high quality print of a painting to work from. Most of my students went out on their own after 2-3 copies.

If you are unsure of how to mix colors, all you need is 5 colors. I have attached a guide I gave to my students.

Oil Mixing Guide.pdf