Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking inky tarlatan storage safety…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sbalderrama

do you keep your inky tarlatans around to use next time? What is the best way to store this stuff? is there any possibility of spontaneous combustion?

contumacious

I spread them out flat – individually to dry. My understanding of spontaneous combustion is that the oily rags need to be concentrated in a large enough and tight enough mass so that heat will build up, eventually causing the fire. With them laid out flat, not stacked on top of each other, rather than in a big wad or pile, that most likely isn’t going to happen.

It is best to keep them laying on a metal surface or in a metal can until fully dry.

ic.Art

I wash and reuse them over and over until they fall apart or I recycle them into mixed media works.

I put them into an old pillow case that I tie off and toss the bundle into the washing machine. The soapy wash removes the oils and solvents but the fabric is soft and still tinted with the colours so I can use them in again or make them into other works. They look very pretty!

'Don't worry about your originality. You couldn't get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick with you and show up for better or for worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do.' - Robert Henri

sbalderrama

thanks for the suggestions. :)

bridog

I keep mine in a metal coffee tin with a lid on to keep oxygen out

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. Emile Zola

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
                        visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

BeLing

I just hang them up. Icky. But I don’t think they’re hazardous.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.