Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching 9xxB vs charcoal powder for dark background?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    AGArt

I’m currrently drawing a large rose and want a really dark background. Would it be better to use a Kelly 9xxb pencil or compressed charcoal powder? Also, if I use the charcoal, should I spray the rose with a workable fixative first in case some of the powder flakes travel where they shouldn’t? Any advice would be appreciated. I’m drawing on Bristol vellum.

~April

fedetony

You can use any of them also you could use Black carbothellos (pastel pencil). They are very soft and color beautifully. With any of them, you need to smudge them with a cotton bud or finger until they become very dark. Use round motion for it to be more even. I found out that it worked best when you have a broken tip piece of the pencil (charcoal or whatever black you use), and you use it directly over until it becomes all dust. Smudging is better with the finger: more control and the oils in your hand help the adhere-ability.

Federico Garcia
            My Blog
            C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

marksmomagain

I find smudging is better with the tool as in control, and the oil in the finger is usually a detriment to the look and finish.

You can also use PanPastel on that dark background and then add in any charcoal or conte should you desire. Or even watercolor if you are using a good wc paper for your drawing.

Edit, didn’t notice the Bristol vellum; try the wc, depending on the brand and size/weight of the Bristol, it may work…and the PanPastel will do a good job.

fedetony

I find smudging is better with the tool as in control, and the oil in the finger is usually a detriment to the look and finish.

You can also use PanPastel on that dark background and then add in any charcoal or conte should you desire. Or even watercolor if you are using a good wc paper for your drawing.

Edit, didn’t notice the Bristol vellum; try the wc, depending on the brand and size/weight of the Bristol, it may work…and the PanPastel will do a good job.

Ok, he is right in the tool control, yet the tool could leave indentations in the paper if you are not very careful. The oil in your finger is not enough to cause any trouble in a big surface, it would be if its position as a fingerprint only in one spot. Just clean your hands with water and soap, dry them completely before doing your application. :) Its a good practice before drawing anything anyway.
                    Also the finger, due to the millions of nervous sensors, gives you higher control on the layering. Anyway, you need the tool to make edges and corners too.

Federico Garcia
                    My Blog
                    C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

AGArt

I use tortillons in almost all my drawings, so that works better for me. I think I need to do some experimenting with the different mediums and then decide which would work best for the look I want. Thank you for the advice. I’m off to dig through my art drawers and see what I have.

~April

Wassie

I would cover the rose with Fixative paper. Then apply several coats of charcoal powder with a sponge. I would never use my finger on the drawing because of oil residue.

Remember Kimberly 9xxb is still graphite whereas the use of charcoal powder will not render the shinning of the background. It is tricky to use the powder for obvious reasons especially around a face or an object which could create a halo around it, therefore a pencil charcoal grade 6B could be more appropriate to use around the object and then the charcoal powder to follow.

George Sonner

April that leopard I recent finished the background was done with several layers of staedtler 6b on strathmore 300 bristol vellum. The only blending tool was the graphite to fill in those miny white dots. I also was very patient using a lead holder trying not to get any defining lines or patterns. I find Staedtler woods in 5b thru 8b to be to creamy almost greasy which I didn’t like on large areas. I would suggest trying a few leads on another piece of same paper to see what works for YOU….everybody has different methods…I never use my finger and only use blending stumps for certain textures and fills…
                                I have yet to try graphite powder..it sounds as messy as charcoal…bwdik

Happy drawing…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.