Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Talk Framing a Pastel Against Glass

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    RobertPal

I have taken the adventurous step to frame a pastel directly against the glass. I chose a small 8×10 painting that I was willing to “mess up” just in case the process failed.

But it was a great success! Below is a photo of the small pastel sealed under glass with Framer’s Tape, prior to inserting it into its frame. You can see the step-by-step instructions by clicking here on my blog.

Anonymous

I used to go with pastels on hikes. I made a small soft pastel – press/drawing-board using stretchy rope and hardboard with slits in the corners. I would wrap the stretchy rope around the slits to clamp the work in between the boards and interleave with teflon release paper. I could throw the pastel around with no damage. Soft pastels can take quite a lot of down ward pressure. You can literally drive a car over the board….but not over glass.

Point is that I see no issues unless the glass breaks.

Acrylic won’t break, but it can hold quite a static charge, and that isn’t the best for soft pastels.

contumacious

I frame most of our work with the glass in contact with the painting, rigid backer on the backside and all four sides sealed tightly with framing tape.

Not a single one has ever developed any fungus or mold inside though none have ever been displayed in non climate controlled locations and never in tropical climates.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.