Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Help Color Combination and Patterns

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mega_biscoito

Hello,

I’m a student of Shoe Design.
        There is a French Shoe Designer that often makes simple but beautiful color combination, called Pierre Hardy

https://www.pierrehardy.com/row_en/women/shoes.html

I wonder is there is any book or place that teaches how to achieve these color tricks?

————
        And also there is another designer that makes beautiful patterns.

http://christinephung.com/collections

I have the same question about how to make beautiful patterns? A book, a website, etc?

This website might help for color combinations. Understanding the colorwheel is helpful too. James Gurney’s blog is a very useful resource for this.

gement

It’s not a specific resource, but some things to think about:

The flattened boot image looks a lot like a Native American/First Nations northwest coastal art style called Formline. I don’t know if Pierre Hardy has studied formline or not, but I would suspect yes.

The second pattern is a simplified close-up of a diamond. A Google search for “diamond macro photography” (a word for extreme close-ups) found several similar example photographs to copy and stylize.

While it’s possible to just strike out on your own and try to make new patterns, most people are influenced by things they have already seen, whether they know it or not. If there are specific art or design styles you like, such as Art Deco, Rococo, or spray paint graffiti, or particular artists or designers whose work you are inspired by, I recommend you start there. Also think about themes in natural objects you find beautiful or striking, such as that diamond; browse some macro photography, as most objects start showing patterns when you look very closely.

Look at their stuff. Look at a lot of it. Read resources on how they did that, and copy bits of what they did for practice. Look at the color combinations every time you see something with contrasts you enjoy, and save a copy to figure out what you like about it and how to reproduce that feeling. Start keeping an image library of objects with shapes and colors you like: fur and scales, the curve of a particular sculpture or hat, the angles of trees or ruined buildings.

There are hopefully people here who can recommend specific color theory resources, but I have read some of those resources, and the ones that say “yellow looks brighter next to dark blue” only get me so far. The ones that show examples of art actually embodying the principles gets me closer. But the best for me is looking at stuff I like and thinking about how it matches (or breaks!) the principles I have been reading about… And then trying it for myself.

Good luck finding your style!

Enthusiastic dabbler. Glammer than you. C&C welcome.
            KolinskyRed

I can imagine the Hardy design studio: Massive amounts of fabric swatches, and design sessions in which sets of swatches are laid out together. Of course, a place like that can afford large collects of fabrics of different colours, and of different fabrics.

There are study sets like this: Color Aid

Many different ones are available.

We can collect our own in addition, piece by piece.

Here’s a few more illustrations of different sets:

Color Aid, again

Pantone for Fashion Designers

When I did a google search, I returned a set of very interesting links for: ”how clothing designers select colours”

These could be a great starting place focusing on just the colour aspect of design. Hope this helps.

mega_biscoito

Thank you for all your answers.

But you also can advice good books about this topic?

Or they are no good and all the info I can find in Internet is enough?

SimonaBuna

love all these info here!!! Thank you

facebook.com/SimonaBunaPaintings
                        instagram.com/simonabuna
                        http://www.simonabuna.com

C & C welcome

Humbaba

It does not look a complicated matter, learning Color Theory and or making the color chart exercises described by Richard Schmidt could give you a better understanding of color, this knowledge could be applied to your goal.

The use of complementary colors in its pure state is not new, take a look at the Orphism, and some paintings made by Robert Delaunay.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.