WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2019, 10:19 AM
Ottawa, Canada

Hails from Canada
Lightbulb What Allows you to Enjoy Your Work?

I've noticed that drawing and painting don't bring me as much pleasure as they used to. I'm still pushing myself to work, but I believe my lack of enjoyment shows in the quality and quantity of what I've been producing. So, I ask, what have you noticed working for you and others that allows you to remain motivated in your work?

I could get into greater detail as to my own concerns, but I'm most interested in what insights the rest of you might have.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2019, 12:08 PM
A WC! Legend

Re: What Allows you to Enjoy Your Work?

For me, variety helps...switching off from portraits to clouds, switching mediums, switching from studio to plein air, etc.

Classes, wetcanvas, and trying new things also help.

Listening to things I want to listen to while painting also helps.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2019, 12:52 PM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada

good question

i've been at it (all media, but mostly oils) for Many years and didn't think i'd ever run out of steam or ideas.

the well's drying up tho, i feel i've painted it all and am flailing along in make work projects, grasping weakly to satisfaction, it's not as fun and i'm not interested in repeating what i've already done so i'm transitioned, am transitioning, to writing.

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek,Igbo(Nigeria)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2019, 01:36 PM
Ottawa, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by La_
good question

i've been at it (all media, but mostly oils) for Many years and didn't think i'd ever run out of steam or ideas.

the well's drying up tho, i feel i've painted it all and am flailing along in make work projects, grasping weakly to satisfaction, it's not as fun and i'm not interested in repeating what i've already done so i'm transitioned, am transitioning, to writing.

la

That's interesting. I've found that in the last couple years I've gravitated more and more to writing, too. I was always a visual artist growing up, barely doing any creative writing till university. Many, many, many years later, it's the novels and short stories that keep me going.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2019, 05:37 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

I am just now getting back to painting after having written and published a book. I've always written stories, but never a whole book. It took a long time, a lot of energy and loads of time and concentration. It was difficult to fit my art in while writing it. Now I'm making some art again, but I'm about to do NaNoWriMo in November and write a whole new book. I guess writing hhas taken up more of my passion these days.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2019, 07:45 PM
On my den 🐺

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeDoesArt
That's interesting. I've found that in the last couple years I've gravitated more and more to writing, too. I was always a visual artist growing up, barely doing any creative writing till university. Many, many, many years later, it's the novels and short stories that keep me going.

I have been there too. I move from creative writing to visual arts constantly. Trying out something new helps. There are times I feel that being afraid means that I am about to experience something new out from my comfort zone. Not to mention that keeping more than a sketchbook helps me to keep going. Have you considered have designated sketchbooks?

Right now, I have 6 sketchbooks (yes, I know sounds crazy):

Strathmore 400 Series Sketch
I tend to buy this brand, but next year I am moving to other brand. Doodles, practices, experiments, techniques, and drills. This is my most frequented sketchbook. I use this for dry media, moderate use of markers. Any subject.

Blue The Legend of Zelda
I got on a Comic Con. Only Fantasy and Sci-Fi (makes sense, no?) I apply pencil, colored pencils, and graphite.

Black Artist’s Loft journal
Pen and ink with markers. From observation. Zero photo reference. I just started a thread with it.

Strathmore 400 Series Colored Pencil
Flora and fauna in colored pencils.

Canson Fanboy Illustration
Fanart with ink and markers. I am saving for the basic kit of markers.

By having designated sketchbooks, I enjoy what I do because I have more than one project. There is always something else to do.

For your information: I have been building GRADUALLY my designated sketchbooks, not all at the time . So now you know .

Best wishes,

Rafa

Last edited by rafaartstudio : 09-24-2019 at 08:32 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2019, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Wheeling, IL

Hails from United States

I find that learning something new keeps me going. I'm starting to take on the dreaded subject of drawing faces!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-26-2019, 08:33 PM
Lord of the Arts

When I stop enjoying art I stop and do something else.
Sometimes for months or even years. But I always come back to it.
Art is just a hobby for me so I can afford to do that.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2019, 08:34 PM

Hails from United States

I have had to push myself to just start something when I feel like I want to paint, even if getting started is the hardest part. But I've also had to learn to listen to my heart (sorry, corny) and take a break when I start losing steam. Sometimes I will stop painting and go on a crocheting or reading streak for weeks or months. Sometimes I'll return to old projects, sometimes I just can't regain the interest in something I set aside so I'll start new ones. At first this was very frustrating but I've started getting used to the idea that I can't stick with the same thing for very long, but that I know I'll circle back around at some point.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2019, 06:02 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

I have a few tests: First, is it like I imagined it would be? Does it look like what it is supposed to look like? Can I imagine it in a place other than where it is? Am I embarrassed or ashamed for some reason? Is it "fake." Did I fail in my value system? Did I do the best job I could do? Am I proud of it?

If no, I chuck it back on the pile, either re-tool it, put it aside for the future (when I am up to it), or totally destroy it.

Sometimes also, with the "retooling" idea, I will get an insight into a better way to do something, and I will start that way, which means I must trash can the rest of the object and start all over again. Quite frustrating, but then, I have a brand new tool.

I then obsess on that brand new tool for a while.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2019, 01:14 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
So, I ask, what have you noticed working for you and others that allows you to remain motivated in your work?
This was an instructor of mine years ago in Pittsburgh. He talks about
his painting and what motivates him. You might be interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g077HvrmK-g&t=602s
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2019, 03:21 PM
Immortalized

I like to have several different projects going on at once, I've just finished a couple now. One group is mixed media and the other acrylic on canvas, plus there are random bits of paper and pens around the house and next to the bed there's usually a notepad which is where ideas and writings and blog bits and bobs are scribbled. I also love my little camera which depending on the area I'm in gets the creative head going again

laf-art.com | Prints | [url="https://www.facebook.com/LAF.Art"]FB[/U
Instagram laf.abstracts
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2019, 01:33 PM
North Augusta, SC

Hails from United States

Quote:
I've noticed that drawing and painting don't bring me as much pleasure as they used to. I'm still pushing myself to work, but I believe my lack of enjoyment shows in the quality and quantity of what I've been producing. So, I ask, what have you noticed working for you and others that allows you to remain motivated in your work?

I could get into greater detail as to my own concerns, but I'm most interested in what insights the rest of you might have.

Often when people see my art they say you must really love to paint, draw, etc...but I tell them no I don't! for me when the muse grabs ahold it becomes an obsession, I can't stop till I get it out and finished. I will forsake family, friends and paint and draw the obsession a million times in my mind. Lucky or unlucky, I haven't had the muse tap me on the shoulder for awhile, but you never know when she will...

..."Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices - but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence (Albert Einstein)."
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2019, 09:44 AM
La tierra del encanto

Hails from United States

It's a good question. You will notice there are actors who refuse to go to their own movies (unless forced at the opening), and many others do not really like looking at their work.

The interest is in doing the work-- the act of creation. I would not say "I don't care" obviously. You want to see the art displayed correctly etc, but really once it is out of your hands, it is really out of mind.

The philosophy of art as an "end result" of a set of creative impulses puts more emphasis on the creation phase and less on the end result phase. At that point, it is like "teaching." You do your part and the student has to take that information and do with it whatever they want.

I guess, as far as enjoyment-- I suppose if it is hanging in your house, and you see it all the time. But after a while-- it is like painting your wall an unusual shade. You may be fascinated by it for a few weeks, but after a while, it becomes "background," or "white noise." It is like how people who live by, or pass some fantastic sight every day. It's just part of the background. People say, this thing is worth thousands or is in a museum, but you are like, "that is some old thing I did and needs to be dusted."

I have had vandals spray paint my art. The city was irked, but I did not care at that point. They bought it, it was theirs.

Last edited by Use Her Name : 11-21-2019 at 09:49 AM.