Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting 2 paintings of same scene WIP’s

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    AllisonR

I’m painting this scene twice. Same objects setup in my windowsill, but a different background for the two paintings. The objects are all blue, blue-green, or blue-violet colors. The background on the first painting has a lot of reds, so it will be about color contrasts. The background on the second painting is mostly greens, so it will be about color harmony.

The light is coming from outside, so the outside has to be all bright hi key, no dark shadows, and the objects in the window should be slightly darker, with some dark shadows.

“Red” painting.

“Green” painting. I need to brighten the window scene tremendously.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
        Dcam

Really well painted Allison. I think the fun part and the challenge will be to keep it un-busy. That will probably be brought about by color or focus vs. painterly somehow? Just my take on the progress later.
            I remember doing a big still life a while back against a window which had tons of foliage outside…..drove me nuts.
            Looking forward to your process.
            Derek

Hamburgefions

This is quite a challenge.
                Very well painted!

billmahler

Nice posting, Allison.
                    Thank you.
                    The lowest one is telling me the most interesting story.

I only regret not drinking more champagne -
                    Winston Churchill.
                    http://billfitzgerald.blogspot.com/

123harry

Intriguing! So this is really a grisaille? My first reaction was that I preferred the second picture, it seemed as if the first would have the pagoda structure distracting the eye. On reflection I see that the calm pagoda and bridge curves might counter the busy still life in the foreground.
                        It will be very interesting to see how this develops.

C&C always welcome.
                        Instagram harry.hamill

AllisonR

Hi everyone. FYI – The second one looks better NOW because the values are in better range.

But I plan on glazing a lot, which will only darken the paintings, so I have to blow out all values at this stage so it will look correct later. Also light source is outside, so all outside objects must be lighter than the objects in the windowsill.

lovely …I really like the second one …it piques my interest more and I think there is some potential for some beautiful highlights here and there. Really looking forward to seeing how they develop

Bec
                            Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching?

www.rebeccasimmonds.com
                            AllisonR

“Green” painting
                                2nd grey background mostly finished. I still have to lighten trunks and few details. Then on to the foreground objects where I will also do a second grey layer.

Docpro

I very love this! Every inch seems filled with extraordinary detail and appreciation!

AllisonR

1st color layer done in the forest scene. Totally disappointed so far – turned into some sort of pointillistic freak show. Cheesy and tacky. Not sure how I will continue to fix it.

Ale2018

I don’t have the technical contribution to evaluate, but in my eyes it looks nice and promising.

Suddenly if you apply a different brushstroke in the shrubs and low vegetation it would lessen your discomfort. Excuse me if I’m talking nonsense.

I’m sure you’ll find a beautiful alternative.

Alexandre George
                                            Just an amateur artist trying to learn the noble art!

AllisonR

Suddenly if you apply a different brushstroke in the shrubs and low vegetation it would lessen your discomfort.

Yes, I agree. It is too pointillism-cheesy right now. I will try to add more varied brushwork in the other painting, as well as more softness, and see how it turns out. Then I will come back to this one with fresh eyes.

Right now “Red painting” I have not done any more work on.

“Green painting” 1st color layer is done. The blue reflections and shadows from the various jars on the windowsill are missing. I will paint them, but they will be final glazes at the end.

Ale2018

I loved the plant pot and the bottle on the side.
                                                    Beautiful tone of blue.

Alexandre George
                                                    Just an amateur artist trying to learn the noble art!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.